Trailer Hitch Hammock Mount

Honu

lost on the mainland
How large a hammock (length) will it handle. Most serious hammock guys (the guys that don't Eno Bro') have hammocks from outfitters and cottage industry builders that are 10, 11 and even 12 feet in length.

ditto this full time hammock guy here and camping full time
most of mine are 11-12 but 11 is super common :)

so could be worth trying to come up with a Xl :) also would love to get some ideas for a family of 4 hanging :)

great looking stuff ya made though !

McLean

Cobra_R and Path06- thank you for the kind words!

ditto this full time hammock guy here and camping full time
most of mine are 11-12 but 11 is super common :)

so could be worth trying to come up with a Xl :) also would love to get some ideas for a family of 4 hanging :)

great looking stuff ya made though !

Thanks for the feedback! I have heard from a few others that are also interested in an XL version. I haven't used one of the 11-12' hammocks yet, but can definitely understand how it would be much more comfortable and how you wouldn't want to go back to a shorter/standard one.

I would be interested in making an XL version if there was enough interest. Do you have any ideas on how/where to reach out to the hammock-base about this? It would take a significant redesign and testing, but not unreasonable if there is demand.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Cobra_R and Path06- thank you for the kind words!

Thanks for the feedback! I have heard from a few others that are also interested in an XL version. I haven't used one of the 11-12' hammocks yet, but can definitely understand how it would be much more comfortable and how you wouldn't want to go back to a shorter/standard one.

I would be interested in making an XL version if there was enough interest. Do you have any ideas on how/where to reach out to the hammock-base about this? It would take a significant redesign and testing, but not unreasonable if there is demand.

yeah like anything one gets into :)

some of them to are not that much more for the base hammock either

I prefer a base hammock seperate bug net and of course insulation to the hammocks that have the bug net built in

87Warrior

GP'er
As a 'hammock camper' this setup looks awesome. Is there enough room on the vehicle side of the stand to hang a tarp? A rain cover is very important to me :snorkel:

The closest alternative to this idea I've come across is the TrailNest. My reservation for this product is I do not want my total hammock setup (hammock, quilts, bug net, suspension, fly and stand) to cost what a RTT would cost.

Honu

lost on the mainland
As a 'hammock camper' this setup looks awesome. Is there enough room on the vehicle side of the stand to hang a tarp? A rain cover is very important to me :snorkel:

The closest alternative to this idea I've come across is the TrailNest. My reservation for this product is I do not want my total hammock setup (hammock, quilts, bug net, suspension, fly and stand) to cost what a RTT would cost.

you on www.hammockforums.net/ ?
some good solutions there to :)

McLean

Thanks! Here's a side view of my camp setup from last week. I have a 12" hitch extender on there but even without it, the hammock is far enough away from the vehicle to add a tarp.

G1BBG8f.jpg

Here's a shot without any extension:

5mzASJL.jpg

goexplore.ae

Hey Chris, I got your hammock mount shipped here in Dubai (cost a fortune for shipping, but well worth it).

I went camping up Jebel Shams in Oman over the weekend and a lot of interest in the hammock mount. Super easy (although a little heavy, if I'm honest) and perfect for nights under the stars!

Mounted on the back of a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado (J150).

McLean

Hey Chris, I got your hammock mount shipped here in Dubai (cost a fortune for shipping, but well worth it).

I went camping up Jebel Shams in Oman over the weekend and a lot of interest in the hammock mount. Super easy (although a little heavy, if I'm honest) and perfect for nights under the stars!

Mounted on the back of a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado (J150).

Thanks goexplore.ae! We are always enjoying your pictures. I just looked up Jebel Shams and that looks epic! The beauty of that landscape looks breathtaking.

I totally understand your comment about weight, it is always a battle of strength vs weight (or cost if using different materials). We are always looking for opportunities to improve this and happy to hear the feedback. Thank you.

jeegro

Adventurer
I like it, but I'm in the same boat as many others... I have a rear barn door and my whole cook setup is back there.

What about a single stake (or maybe a tripod) that could be driven into the ground, and then use the vehicle roof rack as the other attachment point? I thinking a two piece stake/rod thing: bottom piece is shorter w/ sharp end so you can easily drive it into the ground, and a longer second piece that fits on top of it? Could that work? If you make it i'll buy it in a heartbeat

Chili

Explorer
If you can make those bars extendable, that should give the ability to use longer hammocks. I'm a hammock camper too, and use an 11' hammock. You don't technically need an 11' or greater span for an 11' hammock, since with the normal sag you're only looking at a ridgeline length of just over 9'. Of course you need a bit more space for your suspension, but not necessarily the seemingly intuitive answer of over > 11'.

Definitely good information on hammockforums, but beware, a lot of those guys prefer diy stuff and IMO are less likely to buy a product like this. I honestly think the 'ENO BRO's', as coined above, is where your sweet spot will be.

McLean

I like it, but I'm in the same boat as many others... I have a rear barn door and my whole cook setup is back there.

What about a single stake (or maybe a tripod) that could be driven into the ground, and then use the vehicle roof rack as the other attachment point? I thinking a two piece stake/rod thing: bottom piece is shorter w/ sharp end so you can easily drive it into the ground, and a longer second piece that fits on top of it? Could that work? If you make it i'll buy it in a heartbeat

Thanks jeegro. I totally understand. I often prefer the front hitch despite not even have a kitchen or other regular access requirement. Did you happen to catch the prototype tire mount that I posted a picture of at the end of the first page? The goal with that would be to still be able to store the hammock mount in the trailer hitch while driving and use it there when you dont need access to the back, but have the option to mount it at any of the tires when you need access at the back.

I like your idea about 1/2 vehicle, 1/2 freestanding mount but there are already some other companies with tripods/spreader bar setups that could work for this and they seem to have a pretty solid design.

If you can make those bars extendable, that should give the ability to use longer hammocks. I'm a hammock camper too, and use an 11' hammock. You don't technically need an 11' or greater span for an 11' hammock, since with the normal sag you're only looking at a ridgeline length of just over 9'. Of course you need a bit more space for your suspension, but not necessarily the seemingly intuitive answer of over > 11'.

Definitely good information on hammockforums, but beware, a lot of those guys prefer diy stuff and IMO are less likely to buy a product like this. I honestly think the 'ENO BRO's', as coined above, is where your sweet spot will be.

That is good info Chili. So you are saying that I don't need an 11' mounting distance for an 11' hammock? Interesting... That seems to be the way the Eno, Thermarest, and generic hammocks are sized . Could be possible to fit a bigger hammock than I realized if so, especially since there usually seems to be ~6" of rope at the hammock ends that could probably be minimized. I might have to pick one up for some R&D now.

Thanks for the info about Hammock Forums.

B

BPD53

I honestly think the 'ENO BRO's', as coined above, is where your sweet spot will be.

I just ordered my hitch mount the other day. I am looking forward to reviewing it because I think it will fit my camping style well.

Just for the record: I take pride in building my stuff myself (aka DIY) but I'm a Clark man when it comes to hammocks.

"ENO BRO" is a funny term for sure. I bet ENO laughs all the way to the bank with the amount of hammocks they have sold. A buddy of mine uses an ENO and he seems to like it. I guess at the end of the day they all keep your butt off the ground.

Chili

Explorer
I just ordered my hitch mount the other day. I am looking forward to reviewing it because I think it will fit my camping style well.

Just for the record: I take pride in building my stuff myself (aka DIY) but I'm a Clark man when it comes to hammocks.

"ENO BRO" is a funny term for sure. I bet ENO laughs all the way to the bank with the amount of hammocks they have sold. A buddy of mine uses an ENO and he seems to like it. I guess at the end of the day they all keep your butt off the ground.

I thought it was funny, and my first hammock set was ENO! lol

And no hate for those that have and use ENO stuff, if it works that is good enough! They serve their purpose and were definitely the gateway into more hammock camping for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94