From a Grand Cherokee To A.....

trd

Observer
Can you all help me list out what viable options (competitors) I should be considering? I currently have a '17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 4x4, v8, with nearly all the factory options.

It's just a bit small for me now, after driving it for about 7 months. I want an SUV with the below requirements:

- 4x4
- at least 15+ mpg city guaranteed (not claimed)
- heated/ventilated front seats
- heated rear seats (at least second row)
- more spacious than the JGC

I'd like something that can also be a suitable bug-out type vehicle that has at least a handful of options for the standard armor and roof racks, etc.

My thoughts are:

- 4 runner is not much bigger, and not as luxurious as the JGC (no ventilated seats, etc.)
- GX 460 (are there options for armor, roof racks? Not any different than the 4 runner really)
- Expedition (is the 4x4 system respectable? I don't know anything about the fords)
- Taho/Yukon (same as Expedition)

Anything else I'm missing?

p nut

butter
I think you need to be more specific and lay out some more details. "Bug out" vehicle means nothing to me.
What type of terrain will you be traveling? How much more room do you need? Is the extra room needed for people? Cargo? Price point?
-
If a Suburban can handle the off-road needs, then that's almost a no-brainer choice. Maybe a Sequoia added as well. (Although I like the Burb better).
-
But I'm wondering if all you need is a roof rack or a trailer. GC is a nice, off-road capable vehicle. If you can make it work, I'd try that first.
Or just change your packing list. I tend to carry WAAAAY too much when I take my full size truck vs the Subaru, where I tend to pack more efficiently and leave all the unnecessary garbage behind.

trd

Observer
I think you need to be more specific and lay out some more details. "Bug out" vehicle means nothing to me.
What type of terrain will you be traveling? How much more room do you need? Is the extra room needed for people? Cargo? Price point?
-
If a Suburban can handle the off-road needs, then that's almost a no-brainer choice. Maybe a Sequoia added as well. (Although I like the Burb better).
-
But I'm wondering if all you need is a roof rack or a trailer. GC is a nice, off-road capable vehicle. If you can make it work, I'd try that first.
Or just change your packing list. I tend to carry WAAAAY too much when I take my full size truck vs the Subaru, where I tend to pack more efficiently and leave all the unnecessary garbage behind.

Sorry, you're right.

The GC is small for me, just in general. I'm not a big guy, but at 5'10" I feel like I'm inside a sedan when I drive.

When I say "bug-out" I guess I don't really mean anything specific. If it fits all the categories I listed, then it's plenty to "bug-out". I guess something that has a decent aftermarket already established is what I meant. For the Taco and 4R there are ENDLESS possibilities, but I don't see that with any other brand.

Traveling will be daily driving, and short trips with the family (wife and baby). I'd like extra room for people and/or cargo (yes I knew that before I bought the GC that there was only one row of seating, but still).

Price point, let's just say that I don't want to afford a new LC. I would actually consider a '16 LC but I just feel like something is missing from an $80k+ car and I can't figure out what it is.

Sequoia is out because of gas mileage. I drove a '15 Tundra TRD Pro for a year or two, and the best mileage I could ever get even on highway was about 16-17mpg. The suburban and expedition seem like good candidates, full-size, nice tech packages, etc. but I'm just not sure about their true off-road performance or aftermarket. Searching the last couple of days I couldn't find much.

Good advice on the packing. I haven't settled on anything yet. I do like the GC a lot, there is just something I feel is "missing". Maybe I feel trapped because of the quadra-lift and not being able to put nice size tires/lift on.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
15+ in the city is going to be very difficult to achieve with any full size vehicle unless you can find a diesel option (Mercedes or VW? Don't know much about them but there are those that do.)
With a gasser it's the stop-and-go that kills you in the city. Every time you stop at a red light you have to get 5000+ lbs moving again (5500 for my Suburban, others are in a similar weight class) and that will murder your gas mileage. Even the Chevy/GM vehicles with their Active Fuel Management don't do well in the city in terms of MPG. It's just one of the penalties of having a full size vehicle and until/unless manufacturers start putting efficient, small displacement diesels in full sized vehicles (which they probably won't do unless fuel starts getting REALLY expensive) that is not likely to change.
Might take a look at some of the Expedition Eco Boosts. I know they have impressive highway MPG numbers but not sure about their city numbers. As far as the 4wd system goes to my knowledge it's a high/low conventional system with an "automatic 4wd" setting common to many vehicles today - sort of a poor-man's AWD. Once off road you can put it in true 4wd high or low.
With the Tahoe or Suburban you'll want to make sure it has a low range in the T-case if you want that - it's not standard, though it is a common option (I think the low range T-case is part of the towing package.) AFAIK all Expeditions have low range.

trd

Observer
15+ in the city is going to be very difficult to achieve with any full size vehicle unless you can find a diesel option (Mercedes or VW? Don't know much about them but there are those that do.)
With a gasser it's the stop-and-go that kills you in the city. Every time you stop at a red light you have to get 5000+ lbs moving again (5500 for my Suburban, others are in a similar weight class) and that will murder your gas mileage. Even the Chevy/GM vehicles with their Active Fuel Management don't do well in the city in terms of MPG. It's just one of the penalties of having a full size vehicle and until/unless manufacturers start putting efficient, small displacement diesels in full sized vehicles (which they probably won't do unless fuel starts getting REALLY expensive) that is not likely to change.
Might take a look at some of the Expedition Eco Boosts. I know they have impressive highway MPG numbers but not sure about their city numbers. As far as the 4wd system goes to my knowledge it's a high/low conventional system with an "automatic 4wd" setting common to many vehicles today - sort of a poor-man's AWD. Once off road you can put it in true 4wd high or low.
With the Tahoe or Suburban you'll want to make sure it has a low range in the T-case if you want that - it's not standard, though it is a common option (I think the low range T-case is part of the towing package.) AFAIK all Expeditions have low range.

Thanks for the info and advice.

p nut

butter
Sorry, you're right.

The GC is small for me, just in general. I'm not a big guy, but at 5'10" I feel like I'm inside a sedan when I drive.

When I say "bug-out" I guess I don't really mean anything specific. If it fits all the categories I listed, then it's plenty to "bug-out". I guess something that has a decent aftermarket already established is what I meant. For the Taco and 4R there are ENDLESS possibilities, but I don't see that with any other brand.

Traveling will be daily driving, and short trips with the family (wife and baby). I'd like extra room for people and/or cargo (yes I knew that before I bought the GC that there was only one row of seating, but still).

Price point, let's just say that I don't want to afford a new LC. I would actually consider a '16 LC but I just feel like something is missing from an $80k+ car and I can't figure out what it is.

Sequoia is out because of gas mileage. I drove a '15 Tundra TRD Pro for a year or two, and the best mileage I could ever get even on highway was about 16-17mpg. The suburban and expedition seem like good candidates, full-size, nice tech packages, etc. but I'm just not sure about their true off-road performance or aftermarket. Searching the last couple of days I couldn't find much.

Good advice on the packing. I haven't settled on anything yet. I do like the GC a lot, there is just something I feel is "missing". Maybe I feel trapped because of the quadra-lift and not being able to put nice size tires/lift on.

Those "endless possibilities" is just fluff. Most people with snorkels, sliders, 37" tires don't even really need them. They could do with a stock truck on stock tires. You'll be fine with a Burb. My father has a Tahoe and in stock config, he's getting 22mpg freeway. But that's stock. If you lift and put bigger tires on, no way you'll be near 15mpg.
-
You might want to rent a Burb and others beforehand. It'd give you an idea of what you really need.

ryandavenport

Adventurer
I was going to vote for the Armada. It's on the same platform as the Patrol overseas, so the aftermarket is there for some of the items. I have spent a little bit of time in one and really enjoyed it. As others have said though, if you are looking for much about 15-17mpg, you are looking in the wrong class. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I was going to vote for the Armada. It's on the same platform as the Patrol overseas, so the aftermarket is there for some of the items. I have spent a little bit of time in one and really enjoyed it. As others have said though, if you are looking for much about 15-17mpg, you are looking in the wrong class. Good luck!

I'm pretty sure the Armada gets the worst mileage of any full sized SUV.

ryandavenport

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure the Armada gets the worst mileage of any full sized SUV.

For the last generation that was built off the Titan platform, you would absolutely be 100% correct. Those did good to get 12mpg at any point. For the newest generation, I typically get 19-20 mpg on the highway, so it's really not much worse than any other SUV of its size.

XJLI

Adventurer

It's too bad they neutered the 4wd system on the USA models.

p nut

butter
Despite my utter distain for the newer gen Titans (so ugly), I actually like the Armadas. I think the 4WD system is adequate, with its low range. It doesn't have the rear locker like the Patrol, but neither does the new LC's. Hill descent, terrain select, blah blah--I never used that crap anyway. When I was more into Tacoma's/Toyota's in general, looking at all the Expbro'ed trucks, I started buying up sliders, bumpers, lift. Only to find out, the places I went, and really, places most people went, none of that was necessary. Seemed like every time I went up what I thought was a tough trail, I always saw some clapped out stock Ranger or Subaru at the top. For me, 4WD and good tires will get me to virtually all the places I want to go. And if I can't fit, I deploy the bikes or the UTV. :D

ChevyPit

Observer
I'm a GMC/Chevy guy so I'm biased that way, but there are some other really good choices. I really like the GC, even borrowed one from the dealer and drove it for a couple of hours, but like I said I'm a GMC man with 4 kids, and bought another used Yukon XL 2500 4X4, with this one I now have 3 Suburbans (in different configurations) and 3 trucks. And as stupid as it sounds I'm looking at the 4th suburban. Just the 4X2 suburban gets 16-17mpg combined driving. The 4X4's (with oversized tires) get 13-14 mpg combined driving.
First, I would put in order your needs, which one is more important to you: mpg, space, amenities, aftermarket parts, budget, capability off-road, etc. I think you will have to sacrifice one or another. For my family of 6 and always bringing a friend, space was number 1, then mpg and reliability, parts and aftermarket, off-road capability (you will always upgrade this).
Second, I would make a list of the SUV's which fit my first 3-4 priorities. It would look something like: Tahoe/Yukon, Expedition, LC, Durango, Pilot, or any full size truck. Basically any new big SUV is very good, and used ones can be found for really good prices.
Third, I would borrow or rent those SUV's, drive it for a couple of days and see the good and the bads in each one. We all have different appreciations.
If you are looking to spend $50K + make it right.
Or....keep your GC, and buy another used full size SUV for the weekend, and build it like you want it. All the electronics (DVD, HotSpot, Bluetooth, back up camera, parking sensors, etc, can be added to any old vehicle). That's what I would do. Here's the example, my last 2000 Yukon XL 2500 SLT 4x4 was $5,000. It was a 1 owner with 88K miles, pretty good taking care of, record of everything, and with some things I liked: aftermarket good sound system, good mufflers. Since I bought it, I have spent $2000, in things I consider useful to me, wheels and bigger tires, led light everywhere, complete fluids, new brakes, A/C maintainance.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
For the last generation that was built off the Titan platform, you would absolutely be 100% correct. Those did good to get 12mpg at any point. For the newest generation, I typically get 19-20 mpg on the highway, so it's really not much worse than any other SUV of its size.

Ah, I haven't been following Nissan (which is funny because my DD is a 2002 Pathy.) I didn't notice that the Armada is no longer a Titan-based SUV and is instead a re-badged rest-of-the-world Patrol. It's about damn time!
EDITED TO ADD: Of course, without the distinctive "Armada hump" that the previous models had, I guess I won't be able to call it the "Nissan Armadillo" anymore. :sombrero:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter

OP specifically said '15 city.' According to Edmunds, at least, the new Armada is still at the bottom of the list in terms of MPG: 13/17 for the 4wd version (while the V8 Tahoe/Yukon and Ecoboost V6 Expedition both do better.)
As I said above, any heavy vehicle is going to be an absolute pig in stop and go traffic. It comes down to the physics of moving a 5000lb+ vehicle with a gas engine. The only way to get better MPG is to go to a significantly smaller gas engine, which would cost in terms of performance, or require some kind of hybrid drivetrain to augment the small gasser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94