The Space Tractor: Project '89 Delica

Thirty-Nine

Explorer

We always find it interesting to see how others setup their vans and rigs, so I put together a walkaround of our rig.

Saguache

Adventurer
Had a thought this morning then did some checking. First, I know you guys live in the Portland area and they require some level of SMOG checking inside the city. I don't know if this applies to you or not.

Within the DEQ Medford area boundaries, emissions testing is required on all cars, trucks, vans motor homes and buses 20 years old or less, powered by gasoline or alternative fuels. Smog checks are also required on hybrid vehicles 20 years old or newer. Diesel-powered light-duty trucks and passenger cars must obtain DMV emissions testing if they are 20 years old or less and have a gross vehicle weight rating of 8,500 pounds or less.

In any event, instead of an EGR delete you might consider just disabling the EGR gate. Leaving the EGR pipe and valve in place is easy, and turning it off is even easier. There is a pressure actuator from the ECM to the EGR valve that you can remove. The EGR gate will never open if it's not there and you can put it back without having to lift up the turbo bonnet. The down side to this is that you lose a place to tap a pyro and the extra space you'd get by pulling the tube, but those are tiny disadvantages in my opinion.

After taking a look at the carbon build up on mine I was overjoyed that I did this.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Sexy! Looking good. Did you get your's reupholstered?

Nope. Just got lucky and got a clean one.

Had a thought this morning then did some checking. First, I know you guys live in the Portland area and they require some level of SMOG checking inside the city. I don't know if this applies to you or not.

In any event, instead of an EGR delete you might consider just disabling the EGR gate. Leaving the EGR pipe and valve in place is easy, and turning it off is even easier. There is a pressure actuator from the ECM to the EGR valve that you can remove. The EGR gate will never open if it's not there and you can put it back without having to lift up the turbo bonnet. The down side to this is that you lose a place to tap a pyro and the extra space you'd get by pulling the tube, but those are tiny disadvantages in my opinion.

After taking a look at the carbon build up on mine I was overjoyed that I did this.

Thanks for the heads up.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
Wow is all I can say !!!! I hate to say it I may not be getting a Isuzu diesel I am now really looking at one of these. You have sold me on it, theres a bunch on craiglist in the 10k $ region. what the opinion on the 400 vs what you have the 300?

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Wow is all I can say !!!! I hate to say it I may not be getting a Isuzu diesel I am now really looking at one of these. You have sold me on it, theres a bunch on craiglist in the 10k $ region. what the opinion on the 400 vs what you have the 300?

We can't bring in the 400s to the States yet (not old enough). I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) the 400s are only available in auto, too which kills it for me. I know they're more powerful and comfortable, however.

jfarsang

Adventurer
I don't remember the weight but it didn't sag when we installed it. Also my leaf packs were in great shape. Wasn't cost effective to make and sell them unfortunately. Just like most things custom it took up too much of my off-work time and family/adventures took priority.

I believe I saw thirty -nine and his handsome little rig in St helens on hwy 30 northbound on saturday?
had a house full and you were headed somplace north of town.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
A little update on the Space Tractor:

We had a winch mount fabbed up for it. We used the WARN Universal Flatbed Mounting Plate as a base. A buddy (and former WARN engineer) fabbed it up. He cut the plate to fit within the uprights on the bull bar. He created brackets that tie into the mounts on the bull bar, and bolted it together. It's got an M6000 winch, which I'll be putting synthetic Spydura rope on shortly.

Resized_20180303_190839_1441.jpeg
Resized_20180303_190826_1139.jpg

I haven't figured out where I want the control box yet. Might mount it in the center of the two yellow fogs; I might mount it in the engine bay. Not 100% sure yet.

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
Enjoyed listening to you and Driggs chatting on the Gearhead Project's latest episode. Helpful, motivating stuff.

ThePartyWagon

So I am another XJ fanatic considering buying a Delica. How do you feel the two compare and differ? Is there a significant power difference compared to the XJ? I live in Utah, drive a lot of canyons and would be using the van as a DD so I can't give up too much power. Do you think these things are capable of towing at all? I pull a 16" fiberglass drift boat regularly, probably under 1000lbs fully loaded. Anything else I should consider while I contemplate the transition from the Jeep world to #vanlife?

Your van is killer, definitely a driving force behind my van pursuit.

Thanks, TPW

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
So I am another XJ fanatic considering buying a Delica. How do you feel the two compare and differ? Is there a significant power difference compared to the XJ? I live in Utah, drive a lot of canyons and would be using the van as a DD so I can't give up too much power. Do you think these things are capable of towing at all? I pull a 16" fiberglass drift boat regularly, probably under 1000lbs fully loaded. Anything else I should consider while I contemplate the transition from the Jeep world to #vanlife?

Your van is killer, definitely a driving force behind my van pursuit.

Thanks, TPW

The XJ and the Delica aren't even slightly comparable. It's like comparing apples to Baby Star Crispy Noodle Snack. All kidding aside, they're extremely different. The Delica is forward control, so you sit right atop the front wheels. Handling is way different, as you sit very high up. Power. I guess you could call it that. The 4D56 (non intercooled turbo version) makes 104 hp or so and like 147 lbs/ft of torque. It's slow at best. It'll cruise at 60 on the factory 215-SR-15 tires. Bump up to a 30x9.5 (the largest without rubbing), and you can do 65 ... at least until the speed chime comes on (make sure you speakers are on).

Towing: I'm told you can tow. Rising Sun out of British Columbia makes a hitch. It's like $400 or something. I don't intend on towing with our L300. I think you can tow 600 kg (1,300 lbs.) without trailer brakes.

Hills are slow going. I still need to get an EGT (exhaust gas temperature) gauge.

That being said, I love this thing. It's a hoot. So long as you're not in a rush, they're a lot of fun. They're decently capable off the pavement for a tall-*** van. We had ours on Lippincott Grade in Death Valley, and it did well. But it takes some getting used to because 1) you're on the wrong side of the vehicle and shifting with your left hand 2) aforementioned forward control 3) it's top heavy 4) not a ton of suspension travel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles