The Space Tractor: Project '89 Delica

Saguache

Adventurer
The XJ and the Delica aren't even slightly comparable. It's like comparing apples to Baby Star Crispy Noodle Snack. All kidding aside, they're extremely different. The Delica is forward control, so you sit right atop the front wheels. Handling is way different, as you sit very high up. Power. I guess you could call it that. The 4D56 (non intercooled turbo version) makes 104 hp or so and like 147 lbs/ft of torque. It's slow at best. It'll cruise at 60 on the factory 215-SR-15 tires. Bump up to a 30x9.5 (the largest without rubbing), and you can do 65 ... at least until the speed chime comes on (make sure you speakers are on).

Towing: I'm told you can tow. Rising Sun out of British Columbia makes a hitch. It's like $400 or something. I don't intend on towing with our L300. I think you can tow 600 kg (1,300 lbs.) without trailer brakes.

Hills are slow going. I still need to get an EGT (exhaust gas temperature) gauge.

That being said, I love this thing. It's a hoot. So long as you're not in a rush, they're a lot of fun. They're decently capable off the pavement for a tall-*** van. We had ours on Lippincott Grade in Death Valley, and it did well. But it takes some getting used to because 1) you're on the wrong side of the vehicle and shifting with your left hand 2) aforementioned forward control 3) it's top heavy 4) not a ton of suspension travel.

My advice for those who chose this route is much the same as when I drove VWs. Chose to make 'good time' with an emphasis on 'good'.

jfarsang

Adventurer
Very cool! Someone just sent me a link to your website. How's the "power" going up to 31s? I'm on 30x9.50s.

Not bad considering you're pushing a brick. I usually get the cooling system running perfect and then up the boost/monitoring via pyro gauge and do EGR delete. Then it's happy.

yoggie

Not bad considering you're pushing a brick. I usually get the cooling system running perfect and then up the boost/monitoring via pyro gauge and do EGR delete. Then it's happy.

Just an idea, I am assuming someone sells a boost controller that could reduce the boost based on a programmable item, such as exhaust gas temperature. This could help be a safety factor should things start getting too hot instead of having to manually watch the gauge at all times. At 800F you reduce to 15 psi, at 1000F you reduce to 10 psi, at 1200 you reduce to 2 psi; or something like that. I dont own a Delica so just coming up with ideas.

jfarsang

Adventurer
I wouldn't trust something like that. There is nothing better than direct pyrometer probe feeding to a gauge in front of your face. You adjust your right foot depending on the reading for temps.

yoggie

I wouldn't trust something like that. There is nothing better than direct pyrometer probe feeding to a gauge in front of your face. You adjust your right foot depending on the reading for temps.

It would take a decent amount of tinkering and knowledge both of the engine and how to properly set the programming up, but it could be done. My understanding is there are modern cars on the market today that do similar power or boost restrictions based on operating perimeters.

More specifically to your point, this would not replace watching the gauge and adjusting your driving to meet the temps, this would be a backup measure for the rare time the temps spike and you don't catch them immediately.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
20180521_153050.jpg

The Space Tractor on the way home from Overland Expo West. Note the WARN M8-S installed. Plate was fabbed up using the WARN universal winch mouting plate and custom brackets that go to the unibody (the bull bar isn't really supporting it). I still need to test it out, however. The setup should be sufficient for pulls (knock on wood). We also installed a BajaRack off of an 80 Series Land Cruiser which fits great.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Will any of you Delica owners be up at the BCOR July 12-15th? I want to show SWMBO some examples of this vehicle.

Dale

hondadude

Instagram profile @dahlenadventures
Awesome build so far! Been really looking into the Delica as my next adventure rig. Either this or a Montero/Pajero though that would be for more serious off roading which I'm not sure if I'll be doing that kind of thing or not which is why the Delica is still a consideration. I know power isnt great, but on gravel inclines how does it do? Also are there many problems with these mechanically or do they hold up decently for a 20+ year old vehicle? I've seen a couple here in Bend and they make me jealous for sure haha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles