The Space Tractor: Project '89 Delica

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
delica-644x362.jpg

Because I hate free time and our Jeep, The PDXJ, just simply doesn't occupy 100% of my life, my wife and I bought another project. This one is an '89 Delica. It's a manual, obviously a diesel, and its a low-roof version. It's got 76,000 miles on it.

Short-term plans are:
15x7 wheels
30x9.50 tires
Tint windows
Fix rubber seals around windows
Get curtains for inside
Fix rusty bits

Long-term plans include:
Custom winch bumper and WARN winch
Flat rack
Repaint? Wrap?
Maybe a lift?

First blog post about it here:
http://crankshaftculture.com/2017/07/25/new-project-1989-mitsubishi-delica/

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Love it! Can't wait to see more. I'd love to see someone in the states do a full on build with one, but they're so versatile stock, it's hard to want to mod one more than the basic goodies.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Delica-shiny.jpg

A little bit of life left in the Delica. We washed, clay bared, and waxed it. Paint isn't perfect, but it's a bit shinier.

Also changed the oil (nearly 7 liters of 15W-40, a huge filter) and the air filter. Fun Delica fact: The air filter, Wix PN 42222/NAPA Gold 2222, is the same as many pieces of industrial equipment, including Ditchwitches and Bobcats.

We've also touching up the interior here and there, too.

Saguache

Adventurer
Beauty rig, The clean shot makes it look almost new. You need to post some pics of the van's insides (especially under the bonnet).

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Well, I'll try to get under bonnet ...er ... under seat shots soon. In the meantime ...

new-wheels.jpg
WheelAR23.jpg

We had our 30x9.50 Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 tires mounted on our 15x7 wheels. Only drove it a couple of miles home from the tire shop. I can notice going form the 215/80/15 (28.5") to the 30s did suck some power around town. Looking forward to seeing what it's like on the highway.

bikerjosh

Explorer
Really cool, can't wait to see the build. Super jealous you can fit 30's under the van w/o lifting. My 87 vanwagon would need some fender cutting, in addition to the lift.
Josh

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Really cool, can't wait to see the build. Super jealous you can fit 30's under the van w/o lifting. My 87 vanwagon would need some fender cutting, in addition to the lift.
Josh

Agreed. It took a 4" lift, a saw, and a BFH to get 30's under my Astro van...

Saguache

Adventurer
We had our 30x9.50 Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 tires mounted on our 15x7 wheels. Only drove it a couple of miles home from the tire shop. I can notice going form the 215/80/15 (28.5") to the 30s did suck some power around town. Looking forward to seeing what it's like on the highway.

Looks nice, but what's the overall clearance with the 30s now that you've got them on. I just pulled the trigger on a '91 Chamonix and this is something I'm considering doing. The problem I forsee is that the additional clearance is negligable and the power suck to turn them at highway speeds might be great.

Really looking forward to seeing how they perform for you.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
So, I didn't measure before/after with the clearance. However, it appears the 30s should provide about 2" more clearance. (215/80R15 vs. 30x9.5x15)

We took the Space Tractor on its first longer-distance outing: Portland, OR to Chilliwack, BC and back. Totaled about 700 miles. The larger tires do affect acceleration, but this thing wasn't a rocket ship before the 30s, and it still isn't. The lack of power is noticeable, but not terrible by any means. The good news is it aids in lowering the RPM on the freeways. At 65 mph, we're spinning about 3,100 RPM now. It did great on the Interstate. We mainly stayed at about 65 (the stupid speed warning would chime at 66, which is annoying and we need to disable it).

The tires rub the front mud flaps when turning, but that's it. 31s would be really bad with acceleration and clearance in the fenders. I'd say 30s are a good "max size."

1989 Mitsubishi Delica.jpg

Saguache

Adventurer
Awesome, thanks for the run down. The Goodyear Wranglers that came on my van have a relatively thin sidewall and don't get high marks for use in the snow. Right now my intention is to replace them with BFGoodrich Tire All-Terrain T/A KO2 30x9.50R15 which should improve the ride drastically and plow through snow.

Are those aftermarket rims on the Space Tractor?

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Awesome, thanks for the run down. The Goodyear Wranglers that came on my van have a relatively thin sidewall and don't get high marks for use in the snow. Right now my intention is to replace them with BFGoodrich Tire All-Terrain T/A KO2 30x9.50R15 which should improve the ride drastically and plow through snow.

Are those aftermarket rims on the Space Tractor?

Yes, they're aftermarket. They're American Racing AR23 in black; 15x7.

Delica-Wheels.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles