Question for those that have built Expedition trailer out of old utility beds.

Bad Co.

For those of you who have built Expedition or off-road campers out of old utility or service truck beds I have questions for you. Can anybody give me an idea of how much they weigh. Long bed vs. Short bed , Steel versus aluminum versus fiberglass . The wife and I are looking to get out and about more and now that the daughter has gotten married and flown The Coop we may be able to do just that. We pulled the trigger last night and ordered a Tepui Autauna Sky XL ruggedized rtt. The original thought was to put it on our Cherokee, but after poking around on this site and looking at some of the awesome builds I think that would be a better way to go. Any ideas or suggestions and pictures of your builds would be greatly appreciated. If anyone is near Chesapeake, VA I would
like to see one in person as well if possible. Thank you, Jeremy

I would look for a fiberglass utility bed body. They are harder to find, but they are out there. I bought a steel bed from a Tacoma, so it weights less than a full size bed. I also tow it with a 100 series Land Cruiser, so I wasn't to concerned with the weight.

16708214_1808258149441743_1439213683488364675_n.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I built one using a service bed for a Toyota. It is only as wide as a normal fullsize truck bed. I don't know the exact weight but am guessing it's probably around 400-500 pounds. They use thick steel in these.

IMG_8836.jpg

Bad Co.

Thanks for the responses. I thought they were pretty heavy. I don't think the Cherokee would appreciate me hooking up to that and heading to the mountains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior