Looking For A Very Long RTT

I've been researching RTTs for a while now. I would like to purchase one, but I'm 6'-10" tall. There are some available with a 6' x 8' floor (even 7' x 8'), but I don't think that will be long enough. The walls at the ends of the 8' dimension tend to slope quite a bit, which significantly reduces the usable length. I would end up with my head and feet pressed into the tent walls. Anyone have any ideas, other that having both legs cut off at the knees?

Theoretician

Adventurer
Sleep diagonally?

I'm not sure that you're going to get more than 8ft wide in a folding tent since 4ft is already pretty wide on top of most vehicles. Have you looked into pop up tents rather than fold out tents? Stuff like the Alu-Cab tent would only have a significant slope on one end, but I can't say that they're 7ft long. There are also other types that pop up vertically, like autohome.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
I've got a mate and his fiance who are both over 6' tall, and I'm 6'4 so similar problems...

Have a look at the Gordigear range - their RTT are 230cm long mattress so that might be enough? Quick sums says that there's 22cm left on the mattress, so that might be enough to bring you away from the end wall slope.

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
CVT Mckinley or Denali are the only ones I know of. We have the mckinley and the walls don't slope that much(but I'm a foot shorter than you....). They do slope, however. If you sleep lenghtwise in the Denali it is 7.25 feet but those walls would be straight up.

aearles

Observer
If you're at all interested in a hardshell, the JB Grand Raid is 89" long and straight walls, and there's a 91" XL variant of the Maggiolina.

shoredreamer

Observer
Yes the Grand Raid is 89" and the mattress goes the very edge of the inside walls. Being honest though, at 6'10", sitting up might be a problem.

... Being honest though, at 6'10", sitting up might be a problem.

Trust me, at 6'-10", everything is a problem!

I really appreciate all of the responses. Unfortunately, sleeping diagonally is not an option. My wife already complains I take up too much of the bed. I will definitely check out those super-size hard shells.

aearles

Observer
Good point on sitting up, the Evasion XXL will have more headroom than the GR on one end at least because of the storage area on the top. I am 6'4" and can sit up comfortably and move around easily in my Explorer, they're about 42" high interior.

After looking at the specs for the Autohome models, they just won't do the job. The overall exterior length is long, but the mattress is much shorter. Also, they are quite narrow. Back in the day, we would put up with sleeping in a 60" wide backpacking style tent, but no more. We need at least 72" wide, or we are elbowing each other all night.

The James Baroud are interesting. The Evasion XXL and Grand Raid are 89"L x 84" wide. What a beast! Now if I can just get over the trauma of having to spend $4200 for a roof tent.

Sorry to break it to you... They're not that wide, 64" not 84".

I see what the problem was. The font they are using makes the "6" look just like an "8". I have to admit that I thought 84" was huge, although there are soft roof tents that size. Looking on the bright side, I just saved at least $4200 dollars...

aearles

Observer
Haha yeah I knew why as soon as I double checked their site before posting.

Really, even at 64" wide they totally umbrella a full size truck, looks a little weird I think, I guess it works better on the slab side vehicles.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I see that James Baroud is now offering a Space XXL. 89 long, 64 wide, and 52 high on one end. I have the standard Space and have to sleep diagonally in it (I'm 6 ft tall)....but I tend to put my arms over my head and stretch out. I really like this tent (in standard length). The XXL is very heavy for a hard-shell, and very expensive....but...did I tell you that I really like mine?

Talk to rino@OK4WD.com. Very.Helpful.Fellow.

Space XXL

VicMackey

Adventurer
I have (and love) the CVT Mt Mckinley. It is 8' wide. Plenty of room for you and the wife. Maybe a kid or two as well. Here is a link to the Denali > Its more or less the same tent except my Mckinley has an overhang above the ladders to attach an annex to. https://cascadiatents.com/shop/mt-denali-roof-top-tent/

The only negative thing I can say about the tent is that it is a bit heavy at 225 lbs. Moving it from vehicle to vehicle would be tough. Mine is mounted atop an M-101A3 trailer. Its about 7' off the ground. When it came time to lift the tent up there, I had to recruit my 16 year old son and a few buddies. It cost me a bucket of chicken for their help.

To the OP, if you ever get near Detroit, I will be more than happy to show it to you.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
I see that James Baroud is now offering a Space XXL. 89 long, 64 wide, and 52 high on one end. I have the standard Space and have to sleep diagonally in it (I'm 6 ft tall)....but I tend to put my arms over my head and stretch out. I really like this tent (in standard length). The XXL is very heavy for a hard-shell, and very expensive....but...did I tell you that I really like mine?

Talk to rino@OK4WD.com. Very.Helpful.Fellow.

Space XXL

Always willing to assist, let me know if I can answer anything about the James Baroud RTTs for you. Also I agree, the Space XXL is the best for taller folks, I'd be surprised if someone could not comfortably fit in one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94