M416 Style trailers - Ruger, Rockbox, Manley, Chaser Etc Users Please comment

bap5340

I'm looking for a small tub trailer for use as a utility trailer and camping trailer. The primary use will be on-road. Camping will not be over landing in the true sense. We do a lot of work with our scouts and do quite a few Forrest service roads.

The size and function of the 416 is appealing.. The flare at the top of the tub provides structural support while keeping weight low, but may lead to some wasted space. My wife will be towing this trailer from time to time with her Honda Odyssey. Other tow vehicles will be 1999 4Runner, and 2017 Tacoma. We will use a RTT. The market has a pretty good variety of high quality choices today.

Here's where I need your experience. Please focus on your personal observations.

1. If you use the Ruger 5 foot trailer, do you wish it were the traditional 6 foot long tub? If you have a 6 foot tub would you go shorter if you had the option?

2. Most Modern M416 trailers have a four-sided top frame around the perimeter of the tub to limit flex around the tailgate (Ruger, Chaser, CVT). The original M416 did not have a tailgate. If you have used one of these new M416 style trailers with a tailgate have you found that frame to be a challenge. If you own an original M416 and cut a tailgate, please share your observations.

3. Leaf springs are the classic suspension and are very reliable. Please comment on your experience with the brand of trailer and suspension you are using (leaf springs, trailing arms, air bags, etc).

4. We really want to keep this trailer from being so heavy duty that the tow vehicles struggle climbing from Phoenix (1000 MSL) to Flagstaff (7000 MSL) with the weight of the trailer. Please provide any brand specific observations.

5. Photos of your camping load layout would be great. Who does not like to show off their rig?

Thanks in advance to the community. The support and creativity are amazing.

Last edited:

tarditi

Explorer
Military trailers will have a pintle and lunette arrangement, as well as a short tongue which makes backing up challenging - aside from that they are durable and readily found, some may require a bit of rehabbing, though.

I have an M100 and it tows great with my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (6spd). A previous owner cut a tailgate into it, but it doesn't seem to adversely impact rigidity.
Here's the build-up. https://goo.gl/photos/8EaXBq7KHF7HZmYu9

I've used it to pull our Cub Scout Pack camping gear, but our pack is now about 100 scouts strong and we use a larger enclosed utility trailer. I use my M100 for family and small group camping support.

Also consider a dinoot on a harbor freight frame if a little DIY is OK. Light and proven, IMHO.

I stumbled across this trailer. I don't know anything about it but having towed my M100 over the Rubicon trail and seeing this trailer make it look so easy I was impressed. I don't know if it uses Timbren axles or home fabricated system. https://youtu.be/2OxbIlnRYak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btburn

Observer
I have a Ruger Trailer and it is really well built. I've had it for about 5 years. It tow's like it isn't even there, heavy duty everything. I'm currently refinishing it and spraying it with Raptor liner so it will have a more durable finish, the paint in a few spots rubbed through from having stuff wiggle around. I'll post up pictures of the trailer and the later. I bought a Coleman Cobalt so I'll be selling the Ruger soon probably.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Military trailers are awesome, easy to fix up, and cheap. Don't overthink it. You can buy them from about $600 on government surplus sites. Sandblast, paint, service, put new tires on it, and it you don't like it, you can sell it for about $1500 fast as could be. It's really hard to lose with them, no matter which way you go.

The M-416 "Jeep"-sized trailers haven't been available in over 20 years on the the surplus market. Some were retained off-books when the M-151 Mutts were retired from the last units that had them in the mid-'90s but the "G" caught on and they're long gone now too. The trailers available now are significantly larger having been designed from Hum-Vee towing. If one can find a beat-up M-416 on the civilian market now they fetch well over $2,000.00.

Copasspupil

Observer
Agree with Kmrtnsn. Most available are in crappy condition, no title or want overpriced value on it. At least in WA state, they are. I ended up building my own, with no rust and ready to go.

Buckshot62

Observer
The M-416 "Jeep"-sized trailers haven't been available in over 20 years on the the surplus market. Some were retained off-books when the M-151 Mutts were retired from the last units that had them in the mid-'90s but the "G" caught on and they're long gone now too. The trailers available now are significantly larger having been designed from Hum-Vee towing. If one can find a beat-up M-416 on the civilian market now they fetch well over $2,000.00.

There are still deals out there, you just have to hunt for them. Last year (July to be exact ) I found a m100 in decent shape for 475.00 with no title. After tracking the old owner down and getting him to sign paperwork, I have an M100 with a title for less than 750.00 ( including the cost of driving 300 miles one way to pick it up.) If you are in a hurry it will cost you much more.

SnoViking

Adventurer
Another option is Bantam trailers. They we're basically civilian copies of the army trailers. They may not be the easiest to find (same as the M416) but they're good trailers. I just picked one up last month. It's a bit beat up, but solid throughout. It's a good size also.

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
Another option is Bantam trailers. They we're basically civilian copies of the army trailers. They may not be the easiest to find (same as the M416) but they're good trailers. I just picked one up last month. It's a bit beat up, but solid throughout. It's a good size also.

x2. I actually prefer the Bantam because of the factory installed tailgate. Here is mine

IMG_1784-1.jpg

btburn

Observer
I just listed my Ruger in the classifieds. If you're close to Colorado feel free to come take a look.

JRCCRW

I have a Bantam M100 with the pre-cut tailgate. It's pretty sturdy/solid. I would even say mine is prolly as much or more solid than the front solid panel. I don't think you would have any issues cutting one in....

Trailerguy

Ruger best bet

They weigh in at 750-850lbs. Easy to pull. Full perimeter top rail for cargo box stability/rigidity. Tailgate weather stripped as well as roof lid. Tracks same as Jeep. Affordable platform. Best of all great tongue weight easy to hook up. Set up to accept 2" ball or MaxCoupler. Pintle noise will drive you crazy. Many military trailers pulled by Humvees/deuce 1/2. Jeeps/FJ don't have same towing power.

4OHi6

Build your own

Build it yourself and get exactly what you want. Change it as you learn what you will use.

1. 5 ft is standard m416 tub length. I made mine about 2 in deeper and a little narrow so the lid was 48" vs 49" so std plywood width would cover top.

2. Built with tailgate. Can't imagine how hard it would be to use without one especially with a RTT

3. Leafs properly sized for the load weight with shock absorbers makes for nice pulling trailer even offroad.

4. No issues pulling with XJ. Fully loaded weight less 1800lbs.

5. IMG_0129.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne