Lmtv M1078 expedition conversion in CA

nickpatrol

(no affiliation)

Stewart & Stevenson M1078 military expedition, Rv / toy hauler conversion. Only 4k miles. Great condition. Fully self contained, solar, new military 6tl batteries. sink, stove. CALIFORNIA PLATES :). Everything works. C.t.i.s., full-time 4wd. Caterpillar 3116, Allison 7spd automatic. Excellent tire tread, rv constructed of 1/8" aluminum skin, framed with aluminum, 3/4" high density interior walls, 1" rigid insulation on walls and roof, lexan window, Murphy bedsfold to allow room for utv, quads, etc. led lighting, flat screen, inverter, gas 5k generator, fresh and grey water tanks, no rust, havent painted exterior living space cause not sure if i want to stay with desert tan. Brand new High amperage alternator just installed, No leaks, no rust, Runs great, rv is 95% complete, but needs some finishing Air ride cab. Serious buyers only. No trades, Extra tires and wheels w/ctis valves mounted and ready are also available.

00S0S_2DqxKtkFBT0_600x450.jpg

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/rvs/d/lmtv-expedition-conversion-ca/6235125642.html

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Since you say it's not yours - a running/driving M1078 is worth about $10k (maybe a little more in CA since it's already plated), but can't see the added box warrants another $13k. As an example, I gave $6500 for mine but it needed a new shift pad (about $800 plus having to install it) so I'm in it for $7300. I could add a heck of a home built HAB on the back for $16k.

nickpatrol

Since you say it's not yours - a running/driving M1078 is worth about $10k (maybe a little more in CA since it's already plated), but can't see the added box warrants another $13k. As an example, I gave $6500 for mine but it needed a new shift pad (about $800 plus having to install it) so I'm in it for $7300. I could add a heck of a home built HAB on the back for $16k.

Good info. It seemed expensive to me too.

Jjackson410

Observer
I live about two hours away from where this vehicle is located.. He has had it up for sale 3 or 4 times over the last several months asking for the same amount. I made him a very generous offer of 18.5k (cash) today. I even went as far as digging up the original Ironplanet sale of the M1078 (8,500 bucks) and asked why his asking price is so much (maybe new gears, cab a/c etc).. He was polite in his response with an "I will keep you in mind email". I'm starting to wonder if these sellers are really wanting to sell or just like the attention.. :smiley_drive:

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I live about two hours away from where this vehicle is located.. He has had it up for sale 3 or 4 times over the last several months asking for the same amount. I made him a very generous offer of 18.5k (cash) today. I even went as far as digging up the original Ironplanet sale of the M1078 (8,500 bucks) and asked why his asking price is so much (maybe new gears, cab a/c etc).. He was polite in his response with an "I will keep you in mind email". I'm starting to wonder if these sellers are really wanting to sell or just like the attention.. :smiley_drive:

I've probably got about $10k in mine now but that includes the AC install, 4 new tires, and a new cargo cover plus some other minor things like cab insulation and comfort add ons. I think these guys that ply GovPlanet, GovLiquidation, and GSA just think they can find rubes that know nothing about surplus and fleece them.

Jjackson410

Observer
Maybe going with a standard M1078 or even M1088 and building my own habitat is the way to go. Or find a clean S280 and pop it in and roll.. :safari-rig::safari-rig::safari-rig:

ximo

curious, what AC did you install? Im interested myself of upgrading m1078 from the sauna it is

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
curious, what AC did you install? Im interested myself of upgrading m1078 from the sauna it is

I put a military surplus unit in the truck. All the parts are new I just had to hunt eBay and Steel Soldiers to piece it all together. However it's not like having car AC. It'll put out about 55° at the vent but the cab will never get below about 85°. That beats 95°+ and keeps it at least manageable but still not as nice as driving my Titan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94