Ford E350 drip rail rust

hogasm

Observer
One of my old riding buddies told me to put Honda stickers on a trailer with Harleys inside.....said thieves won't mess with Hondas

wera917

I had a CBR9 stolen off an open trailer in broad daylight in the parking lot across from the Daytona 200 one time, during the race! They cut the locks and lifted it up off a sided trailer into a pickup. If they want it, they're gonna get it unfortunately. I think you'll have much better luck with a stealth van.

What cracks me up is that people can't help but stick their stickers all over any flat surface. If your van or moto trailer has moto related stickers all over it every thief knows it's a goldmine in there! I like my stickers too but I put em on the toolbox or the cooler instead of using them as 'steal me' signs on a moto hauler.

I agree no stickers on the van. When I bought it the PO had fmf stickers over the ford emblems, I got paranoid and took them off plus didn't go with my church van theme!

Mike

wera917

Well... it has begun...

IMG_0486.JPG

and getting the sealer out.. is going to suck. I'm using a heat gun, cold chisel and wire wheel and making slow but steady progress.

IMG_0479.JPG

getting better...

IMG_0483.JPG

My concern is the sealer on the inside, arrows point to the spot. looks like the only way to get the sealer out of this seam is with a pick tool?
Drip rail inside.jpg

I'm finding small bits of rust under the sealer, I guess it's good then I'm going through the trouble of the sealer removal. This will be my week project, every day after work. Goal is to have the driver side (worst of the rust) at least rust proofed by the end of the week.
IMG_0487.JPG

long way to go... told the wife to stock up on the beer.

Thanks all for the help and suggestions:beer:
Mike

86scotty

Cynic
I've never removed it all but it doesn't look fun. Hang in there. Hopefully it's something you'll never have to fool with again.

wera917

I've never removed it all but it doesn't look fun. Hang in there. Hopefully it's something you'll never have to fool with again.

Thanks, the van is worth the effort, only has 70K on it; have to remind myself to just suck it up and get it done. Weather looks ok, plan is to pull an all nighter and get the remainder of the seam sealer out tonight. Tomorrow finish the seam sealer detail clean, clean, prep and apply the POR-15; then apply the POR self etch primer Thursday.

Feel like a stopped a time bomb, found a lot of drip rail and roof rust under the sealer right at the joint where the normal length van is welded into an extended body.

Thanks for the help guys.

Mike

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Good times... NOT!!!

I did that on my '79 Ford. I removed all the sealer from the gutters, plugged up all the holes (boomerang antenna, roof rack, spoiler, etc...) including rust on the roof.
uc

uc

uc

Then re-filled the gutters and had it sprayed with blue Line-X. Just saying the results are worth it!

uc

Just so you know, if you put the original Ford sealer, it is a two part mix so you will need to order a "caulking gun" which has space for two tubes.

wera917

Thanks Mat Mobile, your van looks great, really like the old school vans I grew up in them dad was a van nut. Thunderstorms set me back last night, called it quits around 9:30pm to keep peace with the neighbors. Just found out I have to go out of town for work so this project will go into next week. I was concerned over leaving some of the bare metal exposed but not sure if it matters? Using POR 15 I would be prepping the metal and applying over rust anyway.

My method so far for removing the sealer:

Working in 8"-12" sections:
Apply heat to the sealer with a heat gun on highest setting.
Using a 1/4 inch chisel and a hammer, pry the sealer away from the roof side first.
With 1/4 inch chisel and hammer, pry the sealer out along the length of the gutter, angle the chisel to get as much sealer out from the inside lip of the rain gutter.
Use a wire wheel/drill to clean up residual sealer, follow up with a 3M rust paint stripper wheel.
Remove the fine particles with a pick tool.

Takes about 10-15 minutes per section.

Will continue to update as I move forward, maybe this will help someone on the fence about the project.

Mike

Last edited:

cruiser812

Observer
I just bought my grandfathers 1999 e350 and it has the same problem on some of the rails. I guess it will be on my list as well to go through the same process.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
My method was a strong wire brush on a grinder (forgot if it was a "disc" or cup or both). If I remember correctly it took about 1-2 minute per 8"-12" section.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior