Lr3 ARB bumper with superwinch

thx Zelatore

I appreciate the feedback. Being a newbie and never using a winch I'm kind of at a loss as to what to expect. I like the look of the hidden winch and light guard setup but don't feel like searching for the original bumper and winch bracket. I like your idea of hiding the bracket behind the bumper. I'll update you when I make a choice. I'm heading over to 4x4 parts today to look for a winch.

thx again!

current bumper without a winch.

View attachment 415888

No comment on the winch, but damn that color matched ARB looks nice!

zelatore

Explorer
You removed the entire headlight with the bull bar on? I really don't know how you managed that. I've changed a bulb by sliding the housing forward until it hits the bar then fiddling the bulb out but I have no idea how you took the whole housing out.

Pics please... :)

rlynch356

Defyota
I have a proud Rhino Bumper with a Warn Xeon 10-S - and there is plenty of room to reach the winch lever. You need to remote mount the solenoid in almost all cases through. A superwinch would fit there was well no issues.

rlynch356

Defyota
Couple of pictures to give you an idea of the access on the PR bumper
b5ba416f6a3fd2b54664f40d64f8494f.jpg

6163df5f78fb3f3e0422ee6fd772ae4b.jpg

perkj

Explorer
You removed the entire headlight with the bull bar on? I really don't know how you managed that. I've changed a bulb by sliding the housing forward until it hits the bar then fiddling the bulb out but I have no idea how you took the whole housing out.

Pics please... :)

Yes sir. If I recall correctly you remove the center grill, then as you're sliding the headlight housing out you slide it towards where the grill was as far as you can. You then kick the opposite side out and begin to rotate it up and a couple angle changes later its out. If I get some time in the next couple week I'll take some pics.

zelatore

Explorer
Yes sir. If I recall correctly you remove the center grill, then as you're sliding the headlight housing out you slide it towards where the grill was as far as you can. You then kick the opposite side out and begin to rotate it up and a couple angle changes later its out. If I get some time in the next couple week I'll take some pics.

Ah, I see my problem now - I clearly didn't kick it hard enough!

zelatore

Explorer
I did not, though I may be doing so for a friend's D90 ARB bumper in the near future. I just use the stock recovery point under the bumper. It's very strong, but it would be nice to have the option to attach to either side or at bumper height instead of under the bumper. Say when in mud or snow for example.

perkj

Explorer
Zelatore, did you add d rings onto your ARB? I might be thinking JWest.

If you add d-ring mounts to the ARB bumper you will need to back plate it b/c the gauge of the steel on the ARB bumper isn't adequate for a bolt on recovery mount. You will want these with the backplate: http://www.billet4x4.com/pro-shackle-mount-pd.htm

That said I wouldn't use these bolt on mount for a major recovery effort and would utilize the factory recovery point.

vfly172

Observer
If you add d-ring mounts to the ARB bumper you will need to back plate it b/c the gauge of the steel on the ARB bumper isn't adequate for a bolt on recovery mount. You will want these with the backplate: http://www.billet4x4.com/pro-shackle-mount-pd.htm

That said I wouldn't use these bolt on mount for a major recovery effort and would utilize the factory recovery point.

Did you buy from them? It seems as though you could piece the parts together for less money. However, for the small amount it would be, I wouldn't want to sacrifice quality.

I wouldn't be using them for recovery much. Mostly for an extra ring and to store the winch hook. That being said, could they withstand yanking a jeep or small rig when using a kinetic strap?

perkj

Explorer
Did you buy from them? It seems as though you could piece the parts together for less money. However, for the small amount it would be, I wouldn't want to sacrifice quality.

I wouldn't be using them for recovery much. Mostly for an extra ring and to store the winch hook. That being said, could they withstand yanking a jeep or small rig when using a kinetic strap?

Been debating getting them (for years now) but haven't pulled the trigger yet...the build up of my 2017 Tacoma Pro is getting most of my attention lately

Last edited:

Ray_G

Explorer

That looks more/less like the setup Expedition Exchange (EE for the old school Rover folks here) sold under Expeditionware. They still have the backing plates for sale but not the shackle mounts, it appears. (https://www.expeditionexchange.com/backingplates/)
Assuming good hardware to mount them to the bumper and backing plates they won't be the weak link in the system. They could more than handle a kinetic strap. My D1's bumper has them and they've stood up to years and years of abuse quite well.
bumper.jpg

zelatore

Explorer
I planned on building my own backing plates for the D90 bumper. It's obvious the ARB steel isn't up to the task so I figured I could easily enough cut some 3/8 or 1/2" plate as large as possible to make a backer.

The D90 doesn't have nearly as nice of a recovery point as the LR3 (strange), so adding the shackles would be a good thing. We sort of eyeballed it out on our last trip and once he picks up a shackle mount or two we'll get it installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles