Lr3 ARB bumper with superwinch

rlynch356

Defyota
I need to add front shackle points on both trucks (lr3 and the D90) and you right the D90 needs re-enforments.. Rockware is up next for my front bumper.
The PR bumper comes with shackles for the front, which just came in for mine so I'll add them. I may stay with the stock setup for the D90 for now since I'm going to eventually switch it out.

iowalr4

Adventurer
I know that the deluxe bar has it's issues, but has anyone looked at the new summit bar? (ARB 3432220) It looks to have some improvements. I am looking to put one on my 2013 LR4 soon (even though ARB says its for 2014+ but wont explain why).

I love all of the T44 gear I have. Eric does great work. (full skids, sliders, bumper with dual swings), but I still prefer the look of the ARB bumper.

zelatore

Explorer
I know that the deluxe bar has it's issues, but has anyone looked at the new summit bar? (ARB 3432220) It looks to have some improvements. I am looking to put one on my 2013 LR4 soon (even though ARB says its for 2014+ but wont explain why).

I love all of the T44 gear I have. Eric does great work. (full skids, sliders, bumper with dual swings), but I still prefer the look of the ARB bumper.

It looks very similar but with some updates. It will be interesting to see how they addressed the clutch access which is my biggest concern. Be sure to post some pics when you get it on!

iowalr4

Adventurer
For the ARB, you have to mount the winch before you mount the bumper.

The summit bar does have a new grill with an access door so you can reach into it, It also has more room up top I think.

I have decided to go with the Warn Zeon Platinum 10-S with the wireless remote and no manual clutch lever. Same as the 12-S other than gear ratio, so ill just make sure to keep snatch blocks handy. My rig will be at least 7,000lb when all said and done (Tactical44 rear bumper with dual swings, sliders, gas and transfer case skids, voyager roof rack, etc etc). So I hope the 10,000 lb is sufficient.

I won't have a clutch lever at all with that winch, so I wont care about access other than managing the line onto the drum. I also plan to take advantage of the two accessory power ports on the winch for some 9.5" Intensity lights. I also read that it has a (secret? barely any documentation. ) wire that connects to a high beam wire and lets you select on the wireless remote which of the two lights you want to come on with the high beams. (or you can control them individually or together on the controller).

I have researched fitment some more, the 2013 (mine) shape is slightly different on the lower inboard part of the headlights compared to the 2014+ models. However I am hoping that it wont matter for the bumper. From what I can tell its flat on the arb bumper. I am willing to risk it and deal with slight fitment issues. I dont think it will be an issue though (someone installed this bumper on a RR sport). I put in my (big) arb order yesterday. Going to cost a fortune, but the setup should be pretty nice.

For the ARB, you have to mount the winch before you mount the bumper.

The summit bar does have a new grill with an access door so you can reach into it, It also has more room up top I think.

I have decided to go with the Warn Zeon Platinum 10-S with the wireless remote and no manual clutch lever. Same as the 12-S other than gear ratio, so ill just make sure to keep snatch blocks handy. My rig will be at least 7,000lb when all said and done (Tactical44 rear bumper with dual swings, sliders, gas and transfer case skids, voyager roof rack, etc etc). So I hope the 10,000 lb is sufficient.

I won't have a clutch lever at all with that winch, so I wont care about access other than managing the line onto the drum. I also plan to take advantage of the two accessory power ports on the winch for some 9.5" Intensity lights. I also read that it has a (secret? barely any documentation. ) wire that connects to a high beam wire and lets you select on the wireless remote which of the two lights you want to come on with the high beams. (or you can control them individually or together on the controller).

I have researched fitment some more, the 2013 (mine) shape is slightly different on the lower inboard part of the headlights compared to the 2014+ models. However I am hoping that it wont matter for the bumper. From what I can tell its flat on the arb bumper. I am willing to risk it and deal with slight fitment issues. I dont think it will be an issue though (someone installed this bumper on a RR sport). I put in my (big) arb order yesterday. Going to cost a fortune, but the setup should be pretty nice.

Sounds like a great setup you have going. Just remember on the winch, another few snatch blocks changes the pull load so you can single or double up snatchblocks and reduce the pull load significantly. I am not currently running a winch but plenty of winch time in my old work life. Snatchblocks work amazing just keep them inline to the max extent possible.

Stoked to see your rig pics after fitment.

Cheers!

iowalr4

Adventurer
Thanks, ya. I still have a lot to learn, but am excited to do some more interesting trips where I might need a winch.

Just heard, bumper should arrive mid-october. I'll try to remember to post an update/review with some details. It is hard to find details on this on the web.

jwalk04Disco

Observer
Jwalk what winch did you end up going with?

I'm new to the world of off-roading, so I'm learning as I go. But after reading this thread and too many others, I went with a Smittybilt X2O 10k wireless with synthetic to go in my ARB bumper. I almost went with the Superwinch Tiger, but the wireless setup seemed a little more complicated but could have been wrong. I went with the wireless because I had read about how frustrating it can be trying to deal with the limited hand space in the winch area of the ARB. I don't plan on using it that often otherwise I might have gone with Warn.

I installed it this weekend, and it was relatively easy. I did not have to remove the bumper, but I did remove the grill. I could have used my jack, but I had a friend help thread the two top bolts while I held the winch in place from underneath the rig. I had to clock it since the ARB required feet forward and also had to order an offset Hawse, so I did not have to drill holes in the bumper. I'm waiting on the fairlead before I thread synthetic. I hope all goes well. I feel like I'm learning another language so if some of my terminologies are off and I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, it's because I don't...LOL! I'll take some pics and post.

Thanks for all the great write ups, especially Zeltores!

jwalk04Disco

Observer
Any fitment issues? Where did you mount the control box? Did you remove the bumper to install it?

I did not have to remove the bumper which I'm glad. I mounted the control box on top of the bumper which was not my desired location but seemed to be the least complicated for my time frame. Maybe later on in the future, I might tuck it away under the bumper, but for now, it's on top where the suggested Warn control box would go. I used a bracket to mount the box were the two holes for the cables to go through and ran the cables between the grill and bumper. There is a small cut out that was useful. I'll post pics today or tomorrow for you.

rlynch356

Defyota
Jwalk04disco... you need to move the Hawse fairlead up - the way it sits it will abrade the winch line on any slightly downward pull.

Attachments

• winch-lead.JPG
    winch-lead.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 20

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94