Lr3 ARB bumper with superwinch

vfly172

Observer
I'm looking at winches that'll fit the ARB bumper. I'm decided on the superwinch tiger shark series. It appears on the superwinch website that the dimensions of the 9500 and 11500 are exactly the same. Is this true? Why would I choose the 9500 over the 11500?

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have a Tactical 4X bumper on the rear with swing away tire carrier and an ARB bumper on the front with a 12,000 Warn winch. Not going to cheap out on some cheap *** Chinese winch from HF that might fail when I need it most to save a few dollars. My LR is worth it.

MontyMog

Rolling Thunder
The only warn that didn't fail on me was my old 8274. I currently run a smittybuilt in my arb bumper, which is still going strong. I'm all about American products but the things aren't bullet proof. For X2 the price I tried a direct company this time.

Ray_G

Explorer
I put the 9500 in mine (non ARB), no real reason for that other than it was on sale at the time with synthetic line. Otherwise if I was doing it from scratch I'd do the 11500 just for peace of mind.

There is nothing wrong with the superwinch line, regardless of place of manufacture...there is a lot of opinion about it of course but in real world usage by training entities and such even the TS's hold up fine.
r-
Ray

perkj

Explorer
I went with the Warn 9.5 XP with zero regrets. This is the same winch LR uses with the LR3 winch accessory.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Warn M12k here. While it is a beast, my issue is that it is SLLLLOOOWWWWW. So now duty cycle on the solenoids is a factor. Its good for one full pull, but BARELY for two without the solenoids giving me trouble.

X2 on the 9.5 XP. Great winch.

Also get synthetic. So much better than cable.

zelatore

Explorer
Warn M12k here. While it is a beast, my issue is that it is SLLLLOOOWWWWW. So now duty cycle on the solenoids is a factor. Its good for one full pull, but BARELY for two without the solenoids giving me trouble.

X2 on the 9.5 XP. Great winch.

Also get synthetic. So much better than cable.

Funny - I have a SmittyBuilt 10K on my LR3 and a Warn (forget the model) on my D1.... the thing I don't like about the Warn is it's too fast! Let go of the button and it runs on for quite a while - makes it difficult to control in tight conditions. While I hate the clutch control on my SB (and hate the ARB bumper even more) it's far easier to use than the Warn due to the speed.

jwalk04Disco

Observer
Funny - I have a SmittyBuilt 10K on my LR3 and a Warn (forget the model) on my D1.... the thing I don't like about the Warn is it's too fast! Let go of the button and it runs on for quite a while - makes it difficult to control in tight conditions. While I hate the clutch control on my SB (and hate the ARB bumper even more) it's far easier to use than the Warn due to the speed.

hi zelatore

i'm considering runing the same setup on my l3 but I was curious why you dislike your ARB bumper. I was thinking of selling mine and going back to stock bumper with hidden winch. any feedback is helpfull. thx

Ray_G

Explorer
hi zelatore

i'm considering runing the same setup on my l3 but I was curious why you dislike your ARB bumper. I was thinking of selling mine and going back to stock bumper with hidden winch. any feedback is helpfull. thx

I don't want to speak to Don's issues but my experience with the LR3 + ARB as it relates to the winch clutch is that there is very little room to manipulate it based off how the bumper is built and where the winch sits. You end up needing G.I. Joe sized hands or doing a lot of fingertip manipulation for something that doesn't lend itself to fingertips.
r-
Ray

jwalk04Disco

Observer
I don't want to speak to Don's issues but my experience with the LR3 + ARB as it relates to the winch clutch is that there is very little room to manipulate it based off how the bumper is built and where the winch sits. You end up needing G.I. Joe sized hands or doing a lot of fingertip manipulation for something that doesn't lend itself to fingertips.
r-
Ray

thx Ray

I've read a bunch of your post so thanks for all of the feedback you have given on the forum.

I'm a newbie to the idea of offroading. I've had a 90 rover and d2 but bought them because I thought they were good looking. I recently purchased an L3 and intend on taking it out with wife and kids. It came with an arb bumper, rasta 4x4 tires swing, and rasta sill guards(I've read are useless if you do any ruff wheeling). I don't want to go over board buying more gear than I'd ever use but I do want to buy smart and be prepared. I have some terra firma rock sliders coming but was considering selling my ARB bumper because of weight and go with the hidden winch setup. Any thoughts on I might regret getting rid of the ARB if I plan on doing some wheeling?

vfly172 I hope this is not considered "jacking some one's thread." I've read that somewhere..lol!

Ray_G

Explorer
thx Ray

I've read a bunch of your post so thanks for all of the feedback you have given on the forum.

I'm a newbie to the idea of offroading. I've had a 90 rover and d2 but bought them because I thought they were good looking. I recently purchased an L3 and intend on taking it out with wife and kids. It came with an arb bumper, rasta 4x4 tires swing, and rasta sill guards(I've read are useless if you do any ruff wheeling). I don't want to go over board buying more gear than I'd ever use but I do want to buy smart and be prepared. I have some terra firma rock sliders coming but was considering selling my ARB bumper because of weight and go with the hidden winch setup. Any thoughts on I might regret getting rid of the ARB if I plan on doing some wheeling?

vfly172 I hope this is not considered "jacking some one's thread." I've read that somewhere..lol!

Ha, well I appreciate that my comments resonate with someone. I think going to the TF sliders is a good idea, though either with those or the rasta just keep in mind that these things (LR3/4's) are HEAVY even in comparison to the Dii, and esp the D90-so where those you may be able to rail slide and it isn't as big a deal, these you smash their fat ***** down on stuff and it could be a different equation. That speaks towards what I often point out about these trucks; know what you want to do and then recognize every mod is a compromise off what is a very good platform out of the box but isn't all things to all terrain.

What does that mean with regard to ARB vs hidden winch? That's your prerogative. I know my friend who has 1xLR3 and 2xLR4's doesn't like the ARB, but each truck has one-mostly b/c it protects the $1k+ headlights from deer strikes and other things like that a lot better than the stock bumper. As it relates to weight, you will save a little. You will also get back a little approach angle. Winch access will be about the same level of bad with each, consider a remote setup that allows you to toggle in/out without even free spooling. Not perfect but that's what my buddy does and it works well enough.

Sorry for jacking into the thread as well.
r-
Ray

zelatore

Explorer
hi zelatore

Sorry for the delay - I hadn't read this thread in a while.

Yes, the access to the clutch is the first major issue. It's very poor and makes it incredibly difficult to manipulate the clutch lever.

The other major complaint is how far the bumper sticks out. It decreases approach angles over stock which is kinda the opposite of what it should do.

My other complaints aren't as major but just annoying. The fact the winch is so hidden makes it harder to correctly spool the line on. It's also very difficult to access for service - you have to remove the bumper which is a two man job. Further, mine didn't fit *at all* - I had to cut and modify the passenger side mounting brackets to get it on. When I sent photos/questions to ARB USA the response came down to 'uh, we don't really know anything about Land Rovers, so.....yeah'. Gee, thanks guys!

Back to the winch access, I have clones of the ARB intensity lights mounted in the factory provided holes on the bumper. It makes access even tougher despite being their prefered set-up. Since I'm not running a Warn winch the provided solenoid bracket did not fit my unit but that turned out to be a blessing as I made my own bracket that moved it behind the bumper wing instead of sticking up in the middle (which is ugly and would make access yet more difficult).

Other complaints include the lack of recovery points which you would expect on any good off-road bumper. You do have access to your factory point which is pretty stout but still, seems an oversight. And the fact that you can't remove the headlights with the bumper on due to the bull bar. Probably no way around that with any bull bar and not a major issue but annoying if you actually need to change a bulb. FWIW you can change a bulb with the bumper on, it's just far more difficult than without.

Lastly, the instructions are exhaustive (many pages - 10+? I forget) but rather confusing. That may be down to AU vs US English. For example, one step was to 'install the buffers'. ****** is a buffer? Turns out those are the rubber over-riders on the front. And the electrical portion of the instructions is pretty out there. When doing mine both my wife and I read and re-read them (three electronics degrees between us) and couldn't figure out what they were saying. In the end I just tossed them and figured it out myself. Not that hard given it's a basic circuit. I later installed an ARB on a D2 for a friend and encountered the same wonkiness for the wiring info, again eventually tossing the ARB info and just figuring it out. Perhaps this is down to a difference in US vs AU again.

In the end, should I be in the market for another LR3/4 front bumper I won't be buying ARB. I'll likely go with Tactical, or perhaps one of the other offerings Lucky8 has available. When buying this one I was torn between it and Tactical but though the Tactical looked a little too....'tactical'. Later, having seen them in person, I changed my opinion.

jwalk04Disco

Observer
thx Zelatore

I appreciate the feedback. Being a newbie and never using a winch I'm kind of at a loss as to what to expect. I like the look of the hidden winch and light guard setup but don't feel like searching for the original bumper and winch bracket. I like your idea of hiding the bracket behind the bumper. I'll update you when I make a choice. I'm heading over to 4x4 parts today to look for a winch.

thx again!

current bumper without a winch.

arb bumper.jpg

Last edited:

perkj

Explorer
It's also very difficult to access for service - you have to remove the bumper which is a two man job.

And the fact that you can't remove the headlights with the bumper on due to the bull bar. Probably no way around that with any bull bar and not a major issue but annoying if you actually need to change a bulb.

I can confirm you can easily remove a Warn 9.5 XP without removing bumper. Simply remove the skid plate and access is simple to remove. I've removed mine twice. I don't see why any other winch would be different.

I can also confirm you can remove the headlights without the need to remove the bumper. I've removed both. It's tight but with just the right angles it comes out easily.

I suspect zelatore's bumper and the fact he had to modify the mounting brackets to get his to fit is making the lights and winch difficult/impossible to remove without removing the bumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne