Need a ground tent - what is the sub-$1k group consensus these days?

dms1

Explorer
I recommend the Cabelas Alaskan Guide as well, it might take a little longer to setup, but it will be a lot easier to put away wet.

TwinStick

Explorer
Cabela's Alaskan Guide Geodesic Dome green tents get my vote. We have an 8 person & my daughter has the 4 person. They have withstood entire nights of 50 mph winds & monsoon type of rain. They do NOT move around like the one in video posted. Seriously, they are the best tents I have ever used. Not one drop of water came in the tent. And, they are on sale. And, no, i do not work for them nor am i affiliated with them in any way. But I sure do spend a LOT of money there, because they have high quality stuff. The 8 person is a 2 person set up. 4 person could be set up by 1 person (according to my daughter-she seemed confident of that) but she has always used 2.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/174472-High-Quality-ground-tent-!

Just make SURE you use all the vecro tabs to secure the tent pole intersects, the velcro rainfly hold downs & use all the stakes & tie outs on the tent & rainfly & you will be dry in any storm & extremely strong wind. Sustained 50 mph wind & our tent did not move at all. Vestibule fly was moving a tiny bit but did not get any worse & was facing into the driving rain & wind.

Last edited:

JackW

Explorer
I'll third or fourth the Cabelas Alaskan Guide Geodesic tent - a friend of mine has one that has survived two hurricanes at the ROAV Mid Atlantic Rally where in successive years we had seven and nine inches of rain fall in 24 hours. Coupled with high winds and biblical amounts of rain the tent stayed bone dry (mine didn't do nearly as well - that's why I bought a trailer). The ground was even dry underneath the tent when we broke camp on Sunday the first weekend - we were all impressed.

Its the green dome in the background - I think its the 4 man size - a little slow to erect but a great tent.

Attachments

• socialhour1.JPG
    socialhour1.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 64

vectorsc

Adventurer
The springbar was well regarded in snow and such. It's been a Boy Scouts favorite for a long time due to toughness and Long wear.

The kodiak canvas is a clone of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Model94

For serious winter camping ....

Hello, suggest you take a look at snowtrekker tents and get a firebox for heating. These are used with guys snowshoeing / skiing pulling sleds. Very light for their size, and with a hot tent woodstove are very comfortable. Floorless (desirable for winter camping) and dog friendly. A bit higher than your pricepoint but fantastic quality. Add a 4-dog titanium woodstove and you will be all set.

snowtrekkertents.com

fourdog.com

Looking for a ground tent. Quick rundown:

• Its going to get used a lot. 300 days a year a lot
  • I have a dog. She isn't yapper dog sized, so no RTT
  • I like it colder than hell. AKA winter camping in ugly places.
  • I want to be able to stand up and move around the tent.
  • A tent stove might be smart.
  • I need to have a cot, room for the dog, and a work table
  • Weight is not a big deal - just 100lbs or less
  • Prefer USA made
  • Needs 1 person setup

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Hello, suggest you take a look at snowtrekker tents and get a firebox for heating. These are used with guys snowshoeing / skiing pulling sleds. Very light for their size, and with a hot tent woodstove are very comfortable. Floorless (desirable for winter camping) and dog friendly. A bit higher than your pricepoint but fantastic quality. Add a 4-dog titanium woodstove and you will be all set.

snowtrekkertents.com

fourdog.com

Because he wants to set up his tent with ants and spiders underfoot?

bderrick6159

Big Agnes flying diamond. I went with an 8 person and it gives me perfect room for everything I need. It's light also @ 23lbs and easy to set up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles