Need a ground tent - what is the sub-$1k group consensus these days?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The OP specifically said he was camping in Alaska in the winter...

If you are referring to the "AKA" in the first post, AKA is the acronym for "also known as", he was not referencing Alaska (AK). Now if you can point to a post by the OP where he states he will be camping in Alaska I'm all ears (eyes).

Bolles

Observer
I'm an off roader too and considering a spring bar for a base camp tent.. Days at a time on Baja beaches year round.. I want the canvas and quick set up.. Good idea or not on the spring bar?

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I'm an off roader too and considering a spring bar for a base camp tent.. Days at a time on Baja beaches year round.. I want the canvas and quick set up.. Good idea or not on the spring bar?

I'm sure you are capable of reading this thread and several others on here regarding the springbar tents, lots of info if you simply look.

Bolles

Observer
I'm sure you are capable of reading this thread and several others on here regarding the springbar tents, lots of info if you simply look.

I did read and look. I just want to know if a springbar canvas tent is good foe beach camping on sand and wind.. Try as I may reading searching the forum etc..
I have not got a clear answer from someone who knows. The OP wrote about an off road tour. Seemed like a good time to ask.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I did read and look. I just want to know if a springbar canvas tent is good foe beach camping on sand and wind.. Try as I may reading searching the forum etc..
I have not got a clear answer from someone who knows. The OP wrote about an off road tour. Seemed like a good time to ask.

Kirkhams springbar tents are the number one tent used by scout troops in Utah and most surrounding states, geographically we are a desert with more sand than grass, and that sand is finer and harder on gear than your typical beach sand. Some additional info here https://www.google.com/search?q=spr...UCyWMKHcwoCRsQ_AUICSgA&biw=1600&bih=768&dpr=1

encryption

We bought one of these a couple of years back for $240. Walmart had a special going where they included 4 camping chairs with it. Has tons of room and can be a one-man setup and take-down as well though two people will certainly make the task a lot easier.

Ozark Trail 3 room tent with built in awning / rain-fly

38961e67-ce0d-431e-9699-579d182ecc04_1.53d8d2b2c359ea763ebf4a018d8ceaac[1].jpeg

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
We bought one of these a couple of years back for $240. Walmart had a special going where they included 4 camping chairs with it. Has tons of room and can be a one-man setup and take-down as well though two people will certainly make the task a lot easier.

Ozark Trail 3 room tent with built in awning / rain-fly

View attachment 417071

Did you actually read the tread before posting?

bbaker22

I picked up a Kodiak Canvas 10x10 recently on sale at Cabelas. It is ridiculously heavy (68 pounds), but the poles, tent body, and stakes can be split up for easier carrying.

I put it up in my pasture about 10 days ago, then learned I had to have heart surgery (which was outpatient and went well). Crossing my fingers that it has resolved an issue I've had for 24 years. Setup was easy and fairly quick. Getting the multitude of stakes set in my concrete-like pasture was the biggest pain.

So, last night was my first night actually getting to sleep in it. It fits four big sleeping pads, plus two large dog beds fairly well.

I was impressed with the interior height and nearly vertical walls (I'm used to backpacking tents). The storage options (with the gear loft, a few sewn in pockets, and the hanging storage thing) are pretty cool.

It was quite windy overnight. The tent never seemed in danger, but it was surprising noisy compared to all of my backpacking tents. The sidewalls were popping and flapping and the gear loft squeaked so much that I took everything out of it at 4am to quiet things down.

With the spaciousness, storage options, and built-in awning, I think the tent will be a winner for family car camping trips.

Kodiak Canvas 10x10 by Brad Baker, on Flickr

vectorsc

Adventurer
And for the folks who took AKA to mean Alaska...I didn't state I would be camping in Alaska in the OP, but I will be camping in Alaska in this rig.

Ordered the springbar with a build by date of 8/30, and it isn't done yet. Glad other things are holding up my departure or it would be an ugly sticking point.

vectorsc

Adventurer

It probably is the OZTent. All the made in China vendors seem to have 1 person to greet you and arrange to make your product, and 6 other people immediately pedaling your intellectual property to anyone else who might want to sell tents.

Or alternately the other way around sometimes. Chinhua Zaodong has a great idea for a tent, let's see if we can get 85 companies to sell it as "their" brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Model94

Take a look at Snowtrekker tents, made in Wisconsin. Very lightweight cotton canvas A-Frame designs made specifically for winter camping, although they are used for shoulder seasons as well. Extremely well made. The tent is draped over an internal A-frame, made from Eaton shock corded poles. Easy to set up. A little above your pricepoint but about a quarter of your weight expectation. Duane has a rock-solid reputation.

https://www.snowtrekkertents.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles