Need a ground tent - what is the sub-$1k group consensus these days?

vectorsc

Adventurer
Looking for a ground tent. Quick rundown:

• Its going to get used a lot. 300 days a year a lot
  • I have a dog. She isn't yapper dog sized, so no RTT
  • I like it colder than hell. AKA winter camping in ugly places.
  • I want to be able to stand up and move around the tent.
  • A tent stove might be smart.
  • I need to have a cot, room for the dog, and a work table
  • Weight is not a big deal - just 100lbs or less
  • Prefer USA made
  • Needs 1 person setup

Reactions: MVM

vectorsc

Adventurer
Would the oztent handle High mountain snow sort of situations? Looking at springbar now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Springbar is by far the best tent you can buy at that price point, lots of pictures and videos online to support their reputation in wind and snow, not to mention we own a few of them and have personally watched tents around us break while we sat in comfort in a windy thunderstorm. I have toured their facility and seen the quality that goes into them, plus most of the scout troops use them and teenage boys are not easy on anything.

Dusty Grin

Observer
I love my Oztent rv3 but I'm not convinced it could stand up to 300 days a year use. ( the storage bag definitely won't) It's fast and convenient for sure, but the quality is not as good as the Sprinbar in my opinion. Plus it's not made in the U.S.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have an Alaskan Guide tent from Cabelas that we use during deer season. It's help ups to some cold windy *** conditions. Have never used it in the snow though.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/camping/tents-shelters/view-all-tents%7C/pc/104795280/c/104779080/sc/105517980/cabelas-alaskan-guide-model-geodesic-person-tent/1571266.uts

Been in one myself and you can only stand up straight in the center of the tent, plus they take about 3 times as long to sent up than a Springbar.

The_Dude

Adventurer
Kodak Canvas. We have been in some pretty severe storms and it's been awesome.

No snow but I have no doubt it would kick ***.

Graton

One question about your criteria - how long do you expect to stay in the same place? 300 days is a lot, but if you're staying in one place for a week so, that might change recommendations.

vectorsc

Adventurer
A week or two in one spot. Im doing the off roaders version of RV life pretty much.

THATSALEXUS?

Adventurer
I could be wrong, but I think if you're steadfast on all your requirements, your decision has already been made for you... Springbar. There are other tents made in the USA, but none that are as roomy and robust as a Springbar in your price range. I think the others are mostly limited to backpacking tents. And Kodiak, Oztent and Turbotents are all made in China.

All that said and should you consider a tent made in China, I really recommend the Turbotent too. We've been using a Springbar for years and absolutely love it, but there's something to be said for the instant gratification of the Turbotent. They both have their strengths and weaknesses like with just about everything in life...

vectorsc

Adventurer
I have my expo vehicle already. Mercedes g wagen.

I like the harder trails and am not sure I want to rock a trailer at all.

I admit a teardrop is nice. I'm going after a Springbar here soon. I thank everyone for their advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier