Lets talk insurance for home built trailers

If you have home built trailer, did you run into any issues insuring it? How did you come up with a value? Is it like boat insurance where you have a stated value? Who is your insurance company and what does insurance cost?

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
You're going to get 50 different answers from 50 different people. Your best bet is to take it to your insurance company (not a sells agent) and ask them to find a policy for you. If you can talk to someone in their claims department after buying a policy even better. Every state is different so anyone outside of CA isn't going to give you accurate advice. Never trust insurance questions to strangers and rarely trust agents (they're out to sell you a policy and know NOTHING about claims).

kzam

Observer
I still haven't registered my home built camping box yet but I was hoping to take it to the DMV this week for an inspection and to get it a VIN.

Once I get plates for it (same day here in Oregon) I can get it insured but I don't have any idea what to even expect. If you're interested in hearing what my rates are where I live, I can get back to you in a few days.

Edit

I called my insurance company (a big company that serves the whole country, not a local independent agent) and they won't insure a home built travel trailer. I tried a few local agents and they need to add a policy on the tow vehicle before they can insure it because without a motor, the trailer is tied to the insurance on the tow vehicle.

I'm not sure I want to deal with the headache of changing my entire insurance policy because we have multiple vehicles, a couple motorcycles, and four drivers in the family.

Last edited:

stingray1300

Explorer
kzam got real close to stating my experience. I had an old U-Haul trailer that I modified to go off road some years ago. It was licensed, but I was told by my agent (S.F.) that when the trailer was parked on my property, homeowners policy covered it. When it was on the road, it was covered under the policy of the tow vehicle. I never did get any trailer insurance.
As an aside, why in the world would you tell an insurance company that your trailer was "home built"? They don't need to know that! If you have it registered/licensed, that's all they will need to know. Again, in Cali, little trailers don't (didn't?) need insurance... unless something has changed (possible).

Martyinco

Adventurer
As an aside, why in the world would you tell an insurance company that your trailer was "home built"? They don't need to know that! If you have it registered/licensed, that's all they will need to know. Again, in Cali, little trailers don't (didn't?) need insurance... unless something has changed (possible).

Not sure about Oregon but in Colorado the trailers title states if it is manufactured or home built.

As far as insurance goes for us in Colorado, there is none, at least for my small home built trailer, as long as the vehicle pulling the trailer in question is insured the trailer is also insured.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Not sure about Oregon but in Colorado the trailers title states if it is manufactured or home built.

As far as insurance goes for us in Colorado, there is none, at least for my small home built trailer, as long as the vehicle pulling the trailer in question is insured the trailer is also insured.

In most states that's true for liability - tow vehicle is liable for any damages caused by the trailer. Comp/collision usually don't transfer though so if you're looking to protect that asset you need additional coverage. I question the advice Stingray got on the homeowner's policy. Typically anything that has wheels and meant to be used on-road is not covered by homeowner's coverage (unless they were talking about liability there as well - what? someone trips on the trailer tongue so wants to sue you?).

Again, check with the company that writes your insurance and don't take the word of strangers or agents.

kzam

Observer
As an aside, why in the world would you tell an insurance company that your trailer was "home built"? They don't need to know that! If you have it registered/licensed, that's all they will need to know.

Because the insurance company's first question is "What is the year, make, and model of the travel trailer?" They need to look it up in their database to know what the actual value is.

DanCooper

Adventurer
I had no problem adding my home built trailer to my USAA auto policy for $7.00 per month. Gave them the VIN and told them the cost to build. Just one of the 50 different answers from 50 different people.

Xbcasey

Adventurer
It's going to be complete different for everyone. I build a lot of trailers, including specialized heavy haul trailers and have no problem insuring them on stated value, like most commercial vehicles. I've only insured one of the little camp trailers I've built, but again all I did was tell the insurance company it was worth 5k and had another 5k worth of gear inside and they insured it without issue. The camp trailer was only around $100 a year to insure, and the company is something out of Arizona, I can't even remember the name right now, but it's the same one I insure my heavy haul equipment through

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My racing sailboat is kinda the same deal very specific local builder its replace value was tough because that local builder hadnt built them since 1997. Its value had gone up. I told our State Farm Agent that I wanted it covered so I could get a replacement which the new boats were 40k. My big fear was some idiot driving through the back of it, our fleet lost a few boats to that. So they created a policy which was basically just a formula they use. It was easy but the mistake most people make is not documenting their trailer and gear and discussing replacement cost with the agent.

If my 1995 built racing sailboat was crushed in a rear ender with only "presumed hitched to tow car" coverage both insurers mine and the other guys would have told me to go pound sand when I sent them my $40000 build order for a replacement boat being built and shipped from Italy. Mine original boat was built in Santa Cruz CA by the designer and the top west coast build shop during that time. Today its a builder in Italy.

Talk to your agent. Oh and the more various insurance policies you have the more leverage you have. We have a combined list of properties mine, parents, brother etc all through the same office and agent. We never get push back and the claims weve had were ready to paid up before we could get the repair plan hashed out. The insurer stands to loose BIG if they piss us off and jerk us around.

Last edited:

JPShooter

Adventurer
I had no problem adding my home built trailer to my USAA auto policy for $7.00 per month. Gave them the VIN and told them the cost to build. Just one of the 50 different answers from 50 different people.

Same here with USAA, no problem with a home built.

dstock

Explorer
Same here with USAA, no problem with a home built.

Hmm...maybe the trick with USAA is saying homebuilt. The agent I spoke with was concerned since I paid only $400 originally that is all it would likely be covered for even though I have about $6k in receipts.. axle, wheels, RTT, etc. I told them mine was an old military trailer but considering I have replaced everything except the bed, and added so much more it probably falls more under the "homebuilt" category. Guess I will be calling them back!

wandererr

Adventurer
I called AAA and gave them a vin and a value I wanted to insure it for. They came back with a quote and I accepted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles