Which shovel?

FJOE

Regular Dude
If you can carry a full size, do that. If not, carry the old metal E-Tool. I have used both styles, both in the military and after. I have broken the plastic ones (I think the military plastic ones are made by Gerber). The metal ones are almost all made by Ames, and I have never broken one. Other experience may vary.

Last edited:

TwinStick

Explorer
I was married for 11 months to a gal with 7 an 10 year old boys. I gave them ALICE belts with folding shovels, flashlights and such for Christmas. Her family was horrified! Guess what was the biggest hit out of all the toys they got? Those shovels. They tracked mud everywhere and I loved it. Kids don't want plastic China trinkets, they want military hardware!

******** !!! Me and you were cut from the same mold !

vectorsc

Adventurer
Tru-Temper is also a pretty good US made shovel. They are made by AMES, which is usually the company that made the US Army #1 and #2 shovels to begin with.

rayra

Expedition Leader
of the two presented in the OP, either, they both suck for digging out a vehicle. I have one, but it's my last choice. I keep a good stout long-handled shovel as a primary, a shorter shovel with a stirrup handle as a second. The milsurp folder is 3rd / last choice, is for the 2nd 'volunteer' or to give away to some other poor sap that's stuck. If I'm helping someone else, I usually give the driver the really crappy shovel to work with. They should suffer more.

Mgyver1

Observer
OP, neither. They will both break on you at some point with very light use.

I always carry a Bully Tools shovel with me. Made in American and damn strong (I have the 12ga shovel)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YOJT34?aaxitk=DRt7-zz1s15EzaUWLwgHbQ

Thanks for telling me about this. I got a 92711 and used it for the first time a few weeks ago. Good size, not too big & not too small. Granted I only used it to dig poo holes & bury the fire, but it did great. Love finding reasonably priced good quality American made products!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this yet... Sharpen your shovels, no matter what type you choose. Use an angle grinder and flap disc or regular wheel to put a damn-near razor edge on them, and they will do everything better. I worked for a long time in the mining / heavy construction industry, and all of the laborers would sharpen their shovels at the end of every shift. It made a huge difference in digging efficiency, ability to cut a smooth line, scraping effectiveness... etc.

Ever since then, I have sharpened every shovel I own, and it makes a real difference.

Shelterwerks

If you have not heard of the all aluminum MPS-1 tool or shovel by Shelterwerks I would like to throw it into the ring as an option. We manufacture them here in Tempe,AZ. They are fully welded aluminum and serve multiple functions. In addition to efficiently penetrating soil, roots etc with a pointed V-nose they have a full length serrated edge that will serve as an emergency saw as is a rather effective tool for chopping limbs. It has a slot to be used as a bottle opener or for securing with a cable and the round t-handle is solid aluminum bar so it can be used as a hammer if needed. This shovel is fully welded for strength and it only weighs 3 lbs. Of course it will not rust over time and create a mess in or on your vehicle or camping kit!

We also have a smaller version that only weighs one pound that is light and small enough to throw in your backpack or toolkit with ease.

Take a look and if you have questions you can contact me via email or call me direct at 480-620-0519.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles