Which shovel?

sonarman

Which shovel would you choose? Two different military versions I am assuming the new version has the plastic and more rounded for use in sand.

Attachments

• IMG_1781.jpg
    IMG_1781.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1782.jpg
    IMG_1782.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 62

Laps

I have the one on the right, which I assume is the newer version. It is very well made, durable and compact.

Charles R

Adventurer
I have a smittybuilt that's identical to the one on the right, that i carry full time, as a backup to the full sized shovel i carry when on the trails.

Takai13

I prefer a full size whenever possible. I have a shorter handled one with a D grip that I toss in when I am planning to be off the beaten path. I always have and old wood handled folding shovel courtesy of Uncle Sam (circa 1965) behind the seat.

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
Either one, I have one of each in my truck at all times but a full sized on would be soooo much better.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I was married for 11 months to a gal with 7 an 10 year old boys. I gave them ALICE belts with folding shovels, flashlights and such for Christmas. Her family was horrified! Guess what was the biggest hit out of all the toys they got? Those shovels. They tracked mud everywhere and I loved it. Kids don't want plastic China trinkets, they want military hardware!

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Both are equally crappy, but better than using your hands in an emergency.

Don't get dazzled by the idea of "Military Style" or "Mil Spec". In the Army we always joked that all "Mil Spec" means is "Made by the lowest bidder".
Even the military folding E-Tools are crap that bend, come loose, and fall apart; because they're not meant to do more than dig foxholes, they're under constant repair by whichever private pissed off the sergeant most recently, and they're easily replaced when they finally fail.

For actual offroading gear you want a real full sized shovel (and axe and mattock if you have room). But I do recommend having one of these crap folding shovels in your everyday emergency roadkit, even for regular street cars. Even as they bend and flop it's still better than digging in hard earth with your fingernails. If the spade breaks clean off it's still an improvement over nothing.
Given enough time you can dig a vehicle out with a teaspoon, and this would be an improvement over that.

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
my new shovel, good for less, durable? I think so

This is the best I have found. It balances size and portability pretty well.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...h-fiberglass-handle-102343099--1?cm_vc=-10005
  • Recently, I needed a shovel with a handle, short length, pointed end, good footsteps, and durable to boot, both for my truck & trailer recovery kit, and for general yardwork. I was going to get a Stanley Fatmax, since I have many of their Fatmax tools, and find that they stand up to hard usage (though at almost 67, I work not so hard as before), and found the Groundworks shovel next to it at Tractor Supply. The Stanley was $25, and the Groundworks shovel was $20...both good deals.
  • I initially grabbed the Stanley, then the Groundworks (a brand unfamiliar to me), and compared heft and overall "feel" of each. Both were solidly built, but as a long-time Stanley fan, I was surprised that I chose the Groundworks shovel instead. It just fit me, the footsteps were better, the handle felt better, and the construction seemed just as good or better. I also liked that the shovel end was more pointed, which will help cutting hidden roots. I've only used it to dig two small holes, both in sandy loam, and it was effortless.
  • We'll see if the shovel lasts as long as my Stanley tools have, but this Groundworks shovel may turn out to be one of the best shovels I ever had. Quality for less!
  • Tractor Supply shovels.jpg comparable in quality, size and price, surprisingly

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I vote for which ever was NOT made in china: the e-tool on the left if it is genuine G.I. issue (lowest bidder or not) mine (3) have stood up to regular fire pit and sanitary use (different places), as well as the occasional vehicle recovery in snow mud, gravel and sand... over the last 30 years I have never had a genuine U.S.G.I. e-tool break (though I have had many chinese imitations fail even in very light, fresh snow, use)...
The tool that is best is the one that you have with you that works (I have many full sized shovels but they only get used when I can forecast the need, for every day vehicle carry I keep an e-tool in each vehicle along with a Svensaw, (and a roll of TP)...
Enjoy!

frans

Adventurer
For what it is worth...
The U.S. Gov identifies tools using a number system.
For example the most common shovel, is called a #2 round point. That shovel head is angled. They are, for me, awkward to use when digging out my vehicle from the mud or sand because when i reach deep under the axle the shovel head is art the wrong angle.
Instead i use a #1 round point which does not have such an angle. Much easier to slip under the vehicle

sonarman

Thanks for he replys, I should have stated I do carry a full size shovel mounted on my vehicle. This would just be for camp use emergency etc.
Both of shovels are military issue the one on the left is a bit older USAF issue and seems to be better quality. The right is more recent USMC issue and has more polymer in it.

frans

Adventurer
Thank you Verkstad!
I have used the common d handle shovels to dig out vehicles before. Very awkward under the axles.
Now i carry a long handle shovel.
A park ranger told me that the fire service wants to see that you have a full size shovel at your fire pit as well as 5 gallons of water at the ready.
This was in the mendocino county BLM land, northern california

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I carry a full-size D-handle spade and a long-handled hoe for pulling material out from under the truck and from around the tires. That combo works pretty well in the desert.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles