Looking at a series III 109 MoD FFR

Bobzdar

Observer
I'm close to buying a SIII 109 ex MOD FFR truck converted to 12V (mostly), RHD and at the very end of the line for a 109 ('84). It's very original with exception of the 12V conversion and inner fenders replaced (I think due to the holes cut in them for FFR duty). Only rust is at the very rear on the triangulation for the rear bumper/cross member and it's not rotted, everything else is in very good shape. Comes with soft top in decent shape and runs/drives/stops. A few dings and dents in the body but nothing bad. Electricals all work except the gauges, they even maintained the properly working convoy switch for the lights, which are the screw in type. Also comes with a 4 door safari hard top, roof rack and rear door from a santana defender if I want it (which I do), but that would require some modification to fit to the windshield and some panels fabricated for where the rear doors go (I'm thinking cabinets or tilt out windows, or both and swap them depending on use).

Needs rear tires, the gauges fixed and some carb tuning as it runs fine with choke on, but not with it all the way off. I'm a (micro)electrical engineer by education so the electricals don't scare me.

I've wanted one since a kid and after having a slew of Jeeps, it's time for something new with some more room and capacity for carting stuff and people around.

Things I like - 109 (tired of the lack of room in the swb Jeeps), SIII as I prefer the styling and simplicity to the later defenders, beefy military suspension, military simplicity, hood mounted spare, comes with a safari roof and rack setup.

Things I don't like - RHD (no biggie), army green paint (wife hates the military look and I would rather sandglow), 2 door (would prefer 4), work to fit the safari roof (which I'd prefer for any overlanding/camping). My uses would be the occasional off-road adventure, some camping and a bunch of general work on my property. I also have a warn vr8000 winch to throw on it that's coming off of my Jeep.

What I'd like to do is do it up camel trophy support vehicle style with the safari top and rack and side cabinets mounted where the rear doors would be. I'm not talking camel trophy badges, over the top lighting and all, but in that style and color using the parts it comes with and adding my winch and a few other small things.

Any ideas on what I should pay? I drove it around and it really needs nothing to be usable as-is, though it would be nice to know the engine temp and fuel level before doing anything crazy.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
IMHO, that is a $6,000 truck, but add 4K for proper importing and documents. Add more if frame/rear crossmember/outriggers are pristine and if the bulkhead/footwells are spotless. Add some more if the leaf springs have been renewed.

Very small market for "original" ex-MOD trucks in the US.

You state you like the styling better than Defender, so there is that in it's favor.

One gets used to RHD, although side windows are essential!

I have 2 door and 4 door 110s. For what use you describe, the two door is a good choice (loadspace, cargo and camp setup, ability to sleep inside if weather goes bad).

Personally, I would chose coils over leafs any day. I would love a Series truck as a runabout or hobby truck, but for real world use I think the coil spring suspension is much easier to live with.

Whatever you chose, have fun!

Reference:
https://forsale.lro.com/land+rover/series+3/202340
https://forsale.lro.com/land+rover/series+3/142748
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rove...605442?hash=item2cc316b1c2:g:eFYAAOSwYvFZI~ZU

Last edited:

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
add 4K for proper importing and documents.

One gets used to RHD,

$4K to import? Why so much?

And yea, RHD is pretty awesome to drive. Super easy to get used to. In fact, I had a hard time switching back to LHD!

Bobzdar

Observer
Thanks for the info. It's got a clean title, imported by an army vet. Floors and bulkhead are clean, frame is in really good shape. Price seems good given that.

Dont get me wrong, I love the defender but they're 3x the price, if not more, and 110s are really tough to find here. I plan to try to get it sometime this week if all goes well.

Bobzdar

Observer
Welp, picked it up last night, won't have time to really mess with it until next week as I'm heading out of town for the weekend but I'm pretty excited to finally have a series! Of course, the fuel pump quit when getting ready to load it on the trailer (gas is very stale in it), but it's an oem unit and rebuild kits are cheap, so I'll drain the tanks, clean them and rebuild the pump. Gotta love the simplicity, all of that should only take an hour or two to do as the tanks have drains and are super easy to access and the pump unbolts in about 5 minutes.

Anybody have tire suggestions? The tires have good tread but are old, so I'll be replacing them before too long.

I also plan to install the safari top and roof rack before too long. The canvas top is cool but I think it'll be more useable with the hard top for what I want.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Anybody have tire suggestions? The tires have good tread but are old, so I'll be replacing them before too long.

I tried both wider and skinnier tires when I had my 109. Skinnier tires seemed to perform better both on and off road. <Let the skinny tire debate commence!> LOL!

Bobzdar

Observer
Started playing around with it in earnest last week. I ordered a new carb (weber) as the idle circuit plain wasn't working on the one that was on it. I couldn't find anything clogged or anything else wrong with it on cursory examination, so for the $200 a new one cost I figured I'd save myself the headache of completely disassembling it and hoping I could find what the issue was. New carb made a big difference, it now idles fine without the choke and I can drive it around, though I think the jetting is a little too rich. The gas that's in it is definitely bad (old) so I'll drain the tanks and fill the driver's tank with fresh gas and see where that gets me.

20882914_1506014612771006_4527754385705422964_n.jpg

I transferred my Warn winch from my Wrangler to the LR and tried test-fitting the hard top to see how much work it will be to fit. It doesn't look too bad - I'll have to fabricate a b-pillar and some door seal channels, get some hinges for the rear door and then skin the opening. I'll also have to figure out how to attach it to the windshield frame properly. I'm still undecided on whether to continue down that path or just get new canvas with side windows and build some mounts for the full length roof rack that came with the hard top to sit over it. That may be the better bet as then I can roll up the sides and back when it's nice.

20994034_1506014639437670_2848340191601423193_n.jpg

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
just get new canvas with side windows and build some mounts for the full length roof rack that came with the hard top to sit over it. That may be the better bet as then I can roll up the sides and back when it's nice.

That gets my vote if it counted! As long as the canvas fits tight and creates a good seal, I think you would be pleased with that set up.

Bobzdar

Observer
Got some new wheels and tires, Wolfs with 9.00-16's, so went the skinny route as that seemed the best way to get good sized tires that fit without having to start hacking at stuff. Slight rub on hard left turns, so probably just needs a slight steering stop adjustment. I did some off-road testing and no other rubbing during articulation, and with the new tires it didn't get stuck where it previously had on the 7.50's.

Flushed the tanks and put fresh gas in and it's running well, though occasionally it gives me a hiccup, which may be the fuel pump on it's way out. So I'll probably go with Delco replacement as I have the kind of pump with the press-fit valves that are not easy to rebuild.

Time to start working on getting the roof rack mounted, I'm thinking of grabbing 2 of the rear ladders for the rear and then using the antenna mounts for the front and see where that gets me. I also have to get all of my gauges and wipers working and then it might be ready for an actual trip!

Attachments

• 28828505_1704696016236197_5258629839788316717_o.jpg
    28828505_1704696016236197_5258629839788316717_o.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 28828186_1705864982785967_3185617355570665448_o.jpg
    28828186_1705864982785967_3185617355570665448_o.jpg
    570.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member