Flippac Help Needed

Jdavenport

So I just purchased my first flippac, and unfortunately I didn't notice cracking at the hinge point in the lid. For the time being I epoxied over the cracks in order to keep the elements out, but I don't feel comfortable using the tent until I know it won't break on me. What can I do to ensure I wont rip the hinge out of the fiberglass lid? Thanks for any help!flippac hinge.jpg

Hi Jdavenport,

It would be helpful to have a few more pictures fron slightly further away and a photo of he whole shell. A critical thing: Is this a full length FlipPac or one that has an overhang over the cab? If it has an overhang you may well be concerned as I have seen that style fail (pictures of anyway) due to the rusting out of the entire support bar inside the fiberglass. If you have the full length style I would not be as concerned because the shell itself supports the internal tubing much better. It would have to be REALLY rusted in this style to fail.

I would make sure the hinge bolts are tight - there are three on each hinge inside the shell - you have to open it to gain access.

Word of caution: If the bolts are frozen you can sheer them off and open up a whole can of worms. I recently had to cut a 1" hole in the opposite end of the shell that I'm repairing and use a 7 foot long "punch" to get a broken hinge out... I needed to remove the hinge anyway, but one of the three bolts sheared off. Not very encouraging I know. Use caution and maybe work the bolt loose/tight/lose/tight until you are sure it is moving and not just twisting and about to break...

As you will find out the FlipPac is a great idea, but not executed in the best of ways... they have many flaws, but there is nothing else out there (in my opinion) that fills these shoes. I love mine and will continue to use it as long as I can keep it together :)

CJSBrokenHingeRemoval.jpg

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I am confused by your pictures. The overlap looks odd... is the issue more than the fiberglass crack?

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
As above. More pictures.
Keep in mind the hinge brackets are in a square tube. Check to see if they are loose in the tube. Are the bolts seized? Are the tubes loose in the flip-pac structure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jdavenport

Thanks for the info, I have a full-size for an 8 foot bed. I just saw the cracking and was worries the hinge could rip away from the housing, I summed it cracked due to torque being applied on it. I'll get some more pictures in a couple hours when I get off!

Jdavenport

The cracks i assume are from torque being applied to the hinge mounting point. I'm unsure if it's just cracking or it's actually due to stress. When I open the flippac the cracks don't move (if that makes sense) I'll try to get some better picture for you in a couple hours. Thanks for your help.

Jdavenport

Thanks for the info, I'll get some more pictures up in a bit, what bolts would I check for seizing? And how do I check the tubes in the structure?

I think you are probably OK especially if you have the 8' long version... the main issue is RUST. You should dig out the old sealant and apply new high quality sealant.

Also, as mentioned see if the hinge bolts are tight - and don't break them off! Bolts are located inside, you need to open it up to find them. Three on each hinge.

images here: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...-head-in-three-easy-steps-)?highlight=flippac

As I understand it, the hinge goes into a square tube where it is bolted from the inside. I think you have to open to get to the bolts.

Biggest mistake it seems is owners don't replace the chalk every year or so.... and rust starts

Yes, that is an extreme example of the structural tubing failing due to rust.... yuck, anything is "fixable"... but not a job I'd want to do! I'm wondering if sleeving the tubing would not be an option if this were to happen... the hinge uses shims to make a tight fit and the tubing is only .065 thick...
FpHingeFrameTube_065.jpg

aequitas3

I'm a truck…
...You should dig out the old sealant and apply new high quality sealant.
Also, as mentioned see if the hinge bolts are tight - and don't break them off! Bolts are located inside, you need to open it up to find them. Three on each hinge.
On my 2015 Flippac, there are three bolts on the bottom (shell) side of the hinge and two on the top (lid).
bolts-driver-side.jpg bolts-driver-side-lid.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles