Dropping a newer diesel into a 90 or 110

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Has anyone swapped out a tired 200/300tdi for a newer Cummins R2.8 in a 90/110 or even possibly a SIII? I know the Isuzu diesel has been a popular swap but I'm wondering about this R2.8...

Also, if anyone has made the swap from manual to auto transmission? What were the results in regards to torque and cruising speed?

(I'm looking a 110 that has a tired 200tdi in it so I'm thinking about the potential possible power plant swaps.):coffee:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
The R2.8 kits aren't really available yet so not much experience out there... seems like it could be a good match.

zelatore

Explorer
StevenMD....area code 916.... Do I know you?

If so, you may know one of our local guys (also a member here, also in the medical community) recently picked up a Santana and is currently going through the same debate about what motor to put in it. The R2.8 is high on his possible list but as mentioned, they haven't actually begun shipping.

I would suggest you contact Tim Scully in Fair Oaks (Sacramento) as he's done a lot of Defender builds; he usually has 2 or 3 working at any given time.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Depending on how tired your 200 is, I could always use a spare for down the road. Is yours a defender or disco motor?

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
StevenMD....area code 916.... Do I know you?

If so, you may know one of our local guys (also a member here, also in the medical community) recently picked up a Santana and is currently going through the same debate about what motor to put in it. The R2.8 is high on his possible list but as mentioned, they haven't actually begun shipping.

I would suggest you contact Tim Scully in Fair Oaks (Sacramento) as he's done a lot of Defender builds; he usually has 2 or 3 working at any given time.

I have not been active for a while, since I sold my Landie a few years ago. I was one of the founding board members of the NCLR so our paths might have crossed. Forgot about Tim being local to me! Thank you for the reminder. I just may have him give this Defender a look over to get his opinion.

Depending on how tired your 200 is, I could always use a spare for down the road. Is yours a defender or disco motor?

Not sure but in the interest of total transparency, I am really wanting a more powerful diesel to have an automatic transmission. As I get older, my knees just can't quite take the constant clutch work and I'd rather save them for the gym or for hiking.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
You should check out the euro forums. LRO has a good one, and Defender2.net is great. Mazda, Isuzu, Toyota, MB swaps are well documented. Older Cummins swaps are common.

DefenderSource forum has some good stuff too. Keep away from the LS swaps! Real Defenders burn diesel. ;)

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
You should check out the euro forums. LRO has a good one, and Defender2.net is great. Mazda, Isuzu, Toyota, MB swaps are well documented. Older Cummins swaps are common.

DefenderSource forum has some good stuff too. Keep away from the LS swaps! Real Defenders burn diesel. ;)

Thanks! And yes, although the LS3 swap is tempting, I want diesel! We already have an LS3 in the vette :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles