ham licence for aprs? aprsdroid specifically... why?

Itsavanman

Adventurer
Ok, So, I'll admit, just learned about aprs. for being a solo explorer most of the time, this sounds like a great service to participate in. however I don't see why a license is necessary, being that its a controlled and broadcasted by an electronic device. to me its no different than a cell phone, just using a different network. is it just because the legislation on ham is so old and unrevised that its just a layover of regulation? or is there some other reason for requiring a license? especially when someone is in distress in need of help in remote area's this could save lives. I think that having to go for a license would deter folks from getting it. I want to get it, now exploring my options, what does everyone else think?

Frdmskr

Adventurer
If you don't want a license get a SPOT or similar device. Ham radio is a regulated service based on international treaties and agreements because you can legally talk outside of your home/host nation.

Now I might suggest if you do get a license consider a General Class or equivalent for your home country. It'll allow you access to 30m. HF APRS has a better likelihood of being picked up from really remote areas since signals travel further. Read up on QPSK based APRS and the SCS Tracker for 2 approaches to HF APRS.

If staying in closer to populated areas 2m APRS should work relatively well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimBiram

Adventurer
Aprs was developed by Ham operator Bob Bruninga, WB4APR. You have things backwards, as it was the Ham community that developed the technology and protocols. You can learn more at www.aprs.org where the whole technology is described. Yes, you should have a Ham license to use it, otherwise you should get a Spot or PLB for emergency use. Frankly there are not many aprs digipeaters in the back country, and our group, www.landops.org usually set out our own 2meter digipeater when we have our trips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gary in ohio

Explorer
I think you need to go back and look at aprs, what is it is, how it works. I suspect it will not meet your needs as a solo explorer. If your close enough to hit another aprs node your most likely not exploring. (yes you can use HF but thats another story).
aprs is not a service, aprs is simply a protocol that can be sent over radio. be it ham or other radio service.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Gary, not sure your assessment that you can hit APRS you are not exploring. Each explores to their own level of desire. Sometimes its off the beaten path and other times its down a road like the Pan American Highway. As for whether it will meet his needs, I agree that he should look back at it and think harder about what he needs for his intended use case.

Finlay

Triarius
I think you misapprehend how the APRS app on android works.

There are two modes. The basic one uses the GPS of the phone, and a data connection to the internet, to report the device position to aprs.fi and other services. I think this is the bit you assume shouldn't have a license requirement, and naively, you are correct. It is largely the same as any other phone tracking app at that point.

However, the basic mode will not work whenever a cell signal is unavailable. In this use case, the phone uses the GPS data and creates the packet for transmission via radio (typically 144.390, but could be on any freqency) - which then gets to aprs.fi or other services through magic outside the scope of this comment. This is more complicated than the basic case in that you need to connect the audio input/output of the phone to the radio somehow, and then arrange for its transmission. As this is an actual radio transmission, using an actual radio, you should see now why a license would be required.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Besides the already mentioned points, remember APRS has a bi-directional connection between the radio emissions and the internet server network. A web originated packet can be broadcast on the air on ham frequencies through a properly set up iGate.

At one point I had my iGate set up, and it would relay out aprsdriod stations to the air so RF stations could get them. This makes text messaging someone with a ham radio from a web station possible.

This is why you need a license to use APRS. You can generate RF by inserting data into the system, it is intentionally designed to be a resilient network existing on the internet and radio simultaneously.

LR Max

Local Oaf
At its basic level, you need your callsign to sign up for APRS...so that kinda answers your question right there.

Yes you need your license for APRS.

Broko

It's about the frequency you transmit on, not the device you are using. If you don't know the difference, you need to do some more research. I can use EchoLink on my cell phone, but I'm using very different frequencies than what my cell operates on.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
especially when someone is in distress in need of help in remote area's this could save lives.
In a matter of life or death and no other license free means of communication are available any frequency can be used to call for help.

I think that having to go for a license would deter folks from getting it.
That's kind of the point, it was designed by hams for hams. There are enough other GPS location apps out there.

Maybe tracking app such as GPS Phone Tracker, Family Locator, GPS Tracker Pro, Geo Tracker, etc, etc ,etc...... would be more along the lines of what you want. App only service (no license required) that allows your friends/family to see where you are and vise versa.

As mentioned APRS via an app has the possibility to be gated to RF on the 2m ham frequency thus requiring a license. APRS was never meant to be just an app, it was RF based. However apps were created to allow smart phones/tablets to work with TNCs and radios to operate APRS and be able to have a control center to view and communicate with other hams. It just so happens that the program developers also included the ability to sent "packets" via TCP/IP.

Last edited:
It's about the frequency you transmit on, not the device you are using. If you don't know the difference, you need to do some more research. I can use EchoLink on my cell phone, but I'm using very different frequencies than what my cell operates on.

Your phone does not have a ham radio built in. Echolink uses the cellular data network to instruct someone else's node to key up on the repeater frequency in a geographic location near the repeater. You need a liscense for this just like aprs due to you being the "control operator" that instructed the node to key up.

This is exactly the same as with aprs in that a cell phone app sends aprs packets over the cellular data network, but those packets instruct an igate to transmit the same packet on the 2 meter band.

Broko

Your phone does not have a ham radio built in. Echolink uses the cellular data network to instruct someone else's node to key up on the repeater frequency in a geographic location near the repeater. You need a liscense for this just like aprs due to you being the "control operator" that instructed the node to key up.

This is exactly the same as with aprs in that a cell phone app sends aprs packets over the cellular data network, but those packets instruct an igate to transmit the same packet on the 2 meter band.

Correct, that's what I meant, as you point out better than I do. At some point one is transmitting on restricted frequencies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles