Weber Q 1200 or Magma Gas Grill?

cactusjk

Explorer
Well I have waited a long time for the Snow Peak gas grill and again it looks like it is not happening. I have always liked the Weber Q series and am looking for options. Drifta now has a great Weber Q bag which helps. Open for advice.

cactusjk

Explorer
Not hearing great reviews on the Magma. Look nice but the Weber Q is probably the way to go. Looking for a gas grill for our teardrop.

THATSALEXUS?

Adventurer
I've had a weber 220 for about ten years. I brought it on the rubicon with its stand and a 10lb tank and I was pretty much the most popular guy in camp haha. The Q series are awesome, but not the best use of weight and space when you don't have a trailer which is why my go to gas grill is actually a Weber go anywhere. I just don't think you can go wrong with Weber.

OCD Overland

Explorer
Avoid the Magma. The Weber is a super safe choice but you might also check out the Charbroil infrared Grill2Go if you like to cook over high heat. It's a bit more compact and has the best carrying case of any of the portables.

cactusjk

Explorer
The Grill2Go also looks good. I have not used IR and want to make sure it is not too hard to get used to.
Avoid the Magma. The Weber is a super safe choice but you might also check out the Charbroil infrared Grill2Go if you like to cook over high heat. It's a bit more compact and has the best carrying case of any of the portables.

chet6.7

Explorer
I had the bottom-end Weber Q1000 for a home grill and found that I couldn't get it hot enough to properly cook stake. That was a deal breaker for me, and I got rid of it. So look into the higher-end models of the Q-series that can output more BTUs.

The biggest downfall that I see to the Q series is their size/shape - transport will be a pain.
What were you using for a propane source? I have the middle one,it does not get hot enough using a large propane tank.I have read that it gets hotter with the small throw away size,as designed.There are people that change some parts for more heat.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?49713-Weber-Q-low-flame-or-no-flame&

OCD Overland

Explorer
The Grill2Go also looks good. I have not used IR and want to make sure it is not too hard to get used to.
Probably depends on how you're used to cooking. The general complaint I see about them is that it's difficult to get a low heat, which I assume is fair though I've never really tried. I prefer a high heat and a good, fast sear, so they're right up my alley. I also hate babysitting food on the grill so the complete lack of flame up is huge for me. The only thing I've had to get used to is that when I bring meat in to rest afterwards, it will cook much further than before since the temp of the outer layers of the meat will be much higher.

I can't tell you anything specific to the Grill2Go since mine is still sitting in it's box. A few years ago I bought a Saber grill for home, which is Charbroil's top end brand. The grill design is a bit different - the Grill2Go has tiny slots in the cooking grid so to me it's not a 'true' infrared and I'm concerned that I might get some flame up through them. The Saber design is better in that it channels hot air through U-shaped bars and there's no direct path for a flame at all. I crank it up to high, wait 10 minutes, throw the food on, set a timer and walk away. I can put a whole chicken on the grill and I don't have to worry about flame up or burning at all. I can see where people who like to stand in front of the grill and fiddle with their food would find it a bit boring. For me it's perfection.

Oh, and you get a really nice smokey flavor as well - much more intense than any open flame grill I've ever used. And sweet grill marks too. Really nice for searing Tuna - I'll put a frozen Tuna steak out there for 5 minutes a side and they have that perfect thin layer of char with the inside just barely thawed. Per above, I have to slice it immediately or it will start to cook through if I let it sit.

Also if you want an even more intense smokey flavor you can place a handful of wood chips right on the grill next to the food and they will just smoke. I think that gives too 'raw' of a smokey flavor but to each his own.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke