Importing a G?

jtrein

I don't have any experience with Mastodon, but if anyone is considering them do yourself a quick favor and do some searches here and also on clubgwagen. It seems that all is not right with them, and I will leave it at that.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
The sponsor of this sub-board, Mastodon Motors in Denver, specializes in importing G's. I drive by their lot every now and then and they almost always have a couple. I'd get in contact with them.

Be VERY WARY of this vendor. There have been a number of people sharing very bad experiences, both here and elsewhere, with this outfit.

Last edited:

burquedoka

Adventurer
Your car can get a one year permit very easily, just leave before one year is up, but you can come back on another permit the next week. :)
Impossible to sell for import here until it is 21 years old though.

Just to clarify, legal import (or sale inside the US) age needs to be 25 years or older. The 21 year thing is only the EPA's age limit. It's a mut point though as DOT rules stand first, nothing under 25 years.

otiswesty

Regular guy
That's true.

A vehicle (<25 years) must be on the NHTSA list to even be eligible for import. But if it is 21+ years old, and on the list, and has the original motor, it is eligible for import using an RI with only the DOT modifications which are relatively simple.

sprocket3

Adventurer
That's true.

A vehicle (<25 years) must be on the NHTSA list to even be eligible for import. But if it is 21+ years old, and on the list, and has the original motor, it is eligible for import using an RI with only the DOT modifications which are relatively simple.

How do I get a G 320 CDI in the US? That's what I want:)

JackW

Explorer
I'm the owner of an "exotic"G camper registered in France.
G professionnal 300 CDI with camper azalai.
I buy it new in December 2014.
View attachment 412597
I would like to spend lot of my time in North America.
Actually in Seattle with temporary importation for one year.
Some people tell me it absolutely not possible to import in USA or canada.
If it's possible ,what did I need to do?
I will ask informations from Mercedes USA also.

thanks.

Are Azalai's common in Europe? They are my dream camper - I saw a Toyota Hilux based one last Spring in South Carolina. It was being driven by a Spanish couple who were touring the USA, They didn't have any problem bringing it over on a temporary visa.
I knew an Australian couple who brought their Land Rover over to the USA for a year as well. All they had to do was be sure to export it at the end of the year.

There have been several Azalai's spotted around the country - I'd really like to own one of the Land Rover 130 based versions.

Attachments

• US2017-544.jpg
    US2017-544.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 22
  • US2017-536.jpg
    US2017-536.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 22

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
How do I get a G 320 CDI in the US? That's what I want:)
You'll pretty much have to wait a while- in 3 more years, you could get one into Canada. In the mean time, there is the G300D from 1997 on. You get the awesome OM606. Based on Otiswesty's statement that you can federalize a 21 year old truck, That starts today.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
That's true.

Where would one find such a list- 21 years really opens up possibilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste