Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Importing a G?

Travel visa and vehicle transport is a non issue. Just don't leave it here or the Feds will go looking for it. We have plenty of non residents traveling through the US in non US spec vehicles. The only challenge will be getting a US insurer to cover it.

It is easy to bring it to the US for up to one year.

I knew a German family which brought a VW Westfalia LT 28 Sven Hedin to the USA on a one year permit. They forgot to take it out of the country within 12 months. Nobody checks on them.

They left the LT Westfalia in the US for 10 years and came every summer for windsurfing.

I bought the car from them in 2008 very cheap. They were scared it would be seized and crushed by US Customs. Only they had to drive it to BC and I brought it back across the border. It was a 1981, so cheap and easy to import because it was over 25 years old.

So nobody had any problems. If someone from US customs found out they kept the car in the US for more than a year and then sold the car here, they could be banned from US soil and car impounded and destroyed.

Your car can get a one year permit very easily, just leave before one year is up, but you can come back on another permit the next week.
    Impossible to sell for import here until it is 21 years old though.

PS. Let me know if you want to sell your camper once you are here...
    1999 Mercedes Benz G500
    1995 Mercedes Benz G320 SWB
    1989 VW Syncro Westfalia 2.5
    1978 VW Westfalia deluxe

Actually G-Class is not that cheap in Europe either. Looks like they are picking up in value there too. The cheapest that I've seen for sale on a German website was around 8k Euro, and it didn't really look attractive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by turnerc7 View Post
    Has Anyone gone down the road of importing and federalizing a G from Europe? It seems that there is a bit of a cottage industry around bringing over JDM vehicles that are now old enough to be legally brought in and then making them comply, I reached out to an importer and they were very positive about bringing one over.

So...Why not a G?

Someone tell my why this wont work?

Cheers
    The sponsor of this sub-board, Mastodon Motors in Denver, specializes in importing G's. I drive by their lot every now and then and they almost always have a couple. I'd get in contact with them.
    Martin
    2004 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT in "Expedition White"
    2002 Nissan R50 Pathfinder, 3.5l, 5 speed (DD)
    "I am the Man with No Name: Zapp Branigan!"

Without starting another Mastodon rant, I drove by their shop about 6 weeks ago or such and it was closed down as they said they were moving when I call their number (which was an Alabama number), no idea where though.

But I just imported my G from Canada this month, I drove it back from Edmonton to Denver on September 2nd and it was a simple process as it is a 1992 (25 years old for DOT and 21 years old for EPA), I had the paperwork filled out ahead of time and called the border crossing as well to make sure I had what I needed and they said I need no forms as they have it all there.

I had the title, letter from MB stating the proper manufacture date (but it was not required) and a bill of sale. They try to look up the vehicle using Kelly Blue Book to figure out the duty, but since the 1992 G was not listed they just went by my bill of sale purchase price, duty was 2.5%.

It took about 45 mins at the border and I was on my way. I also had no issues with emissions, title and registration which required copies of all the paperwork obtained during import.

Obviously different when shipping, but when you look at the simple forms from DOT and EPA there is additional information importing companies must fill out.

Robert

I don't have any experience with Mastodon, but if anyone is considering them do yourself a quick favor and do some searches here and also on clubgwagen. It seems that all is not right with them, and I will leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinjmpr View Post
    The sponsor of this sub-board, Mastodon Motors in Denver, specializes in importing G's. I drive by their lot every now and then and they almost always have a couple. I'd get in contact with them.
    Be VERY WARY of this vendor. There have been a number of people sharing very bad experiences, both here and elsewhere, with this outfit.
    Last edited by DUTCH; 09-15-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by otiswesty View Post

Your car can get a one year permit very easily, just leave before one year is up, but you can come back on another permit the next week.
    Impossible to sell for import here until it is 21 years old though.
    Just to clarify, legal import (or sale inside the US) age needs to be 25 years or older. The 21 year thing is only the EPA's age limit. It's a mut point though as DOT rules stand first, nothing under 25 years.
    Geländewagen, UNIMOG U1550L37 DoKa

https://www.facebook.com/Gelandeventures/

That's true.

A vehicle (<25 years) must be on the NHTSA list to even be eligible for import. But if it is 21+ years old, and on the list, and has the original motor, it is eligible for import using an RI with only the DOT modifications which are relatively simple.
    1999 Mercedes Benz G500
    1995 Mercedes Benz G320 SWB
    1989 VW Syncro Westfalia 2.5
    1978 VW Westfalia deluxe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12