Buying an LR3 - HSE/SE HD package with rear locking dif a must?

mass

Observer
Something to consider:
LR3s are hitting that great age where you can find them at independent 'European Auto Sales' type lots... where I got mine... the dealer had no idea of the difference between with/without lockers (or probably what they even did, as he primarily sold Audi/BMW/Bentley/etc), and thus had the two different vehicles priced the same..

This was in LA.

Would be worth it to check your area and physically inspect the vehicles on the lots, because most may not declare online/even know what they have...

Granted, the service history knowledge/title process is not always as outstanding from these kind of joints... so know what you're doing, and be wise with it.
--
Furthermore, to second what everyone else is saying, you don't NEED them for 99% of the terrain you'll be encountering (also, do you really want to bust out your TRED/PSP/MAXTRAXX & winch to do something you could have done without getting out of the vehicle?), but if you are going in with the knowledge and time is on your side... why WOULDN'T you want to make sure you pick up your dream LR3?

Last edited:

jwalk04Disco

Observer
Something to consider:
LR3s are hitting that great age where you can find them at independent 'European Auto Sales' type lots... where I got mine... the dealer had no idea of the difference between with/without lockers (or probably what they even did, as he primarily sold Audi/BMW/Bentley/etc), and thus had the two different vehicles priced the same..

This was in LA.

Would be worth it to check your area and physically inspect the vehicles on the lots, because most may not declare online/even know what they have...

Granted, the service history knowledge/title process is not always as outstanding from these kind of joints... so know what you're doing, and be wise with it.
--
Furthermore, to second what everyone else is saying, you don't NEED them for 99% of the terrain you'll be encountering (also, do you really want to bust out your TRED/PSP/MAXTRAXX & winch to do something you could have done without getting out of the vehicle?), but if you are going in with the knowledge and time is on your side... why WOULDN'T you want to make sure you pick up your dream LR3?

yeah, I almost pull the trigger on a local one with great service records but it does not have the rear dif lock. My concern is if I build it out and choose to sell it later my buyers market will shrink. I found one in Colorado i'll be deciding on today. It's at Roaring Fork Land Rover.

With rear lock:
http://www.landroverroaringfork.com...rings+co-9aeb4f700a0e0adf5dc31896755520e1.htm

Without:
https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/2008-lr3-landrover-new-tires/6205912230.html

perkj

Explorer
yeah, I almost pull the trigger on a local one with great service records but it does not have the rear dif lock. My concern is if I build it out and choose to sell it later my buyers market will shrink. I found one in Colorado i'll be deciding on today. It's at Roaring Fork Land Rover.

With rear lock:
http://www.landroverroaringfork.com...rings+co-9aeb4f700a0e0adf5dc31896755520e1.htm

Roaring Forks is a stand up dealer and can be trusted. When I was in search of my LR3 with HD package (i.e. rear locker), they were extremely helpful and upfront with me on a number of LR3s that came thru their lot in my 4 months of searching. While I ultimately was able to find my Lr3 with all the options I required (low miles, HSE, Cold Weather package, black LUX interior, 7 seater, HD package, premium sound pkg, service records, etc) locally by chance, Roaring Forks was only one of a very small number of dealership across the US that actively assisted me in finding my LR3 (I'm in CA).

Exploder
Regarding whether or not you need a locker, I would say no. That is coming from someone that climbed to the top of Elephant Hill in Canyonlands with a stock LR3 on street tires. This was from the park side, not the Devil's Kitchen side. That said, if you want a locker, you won't be satisfied unless you get one, no matter how capable the truck is without one.

Attachments

• 511 - Copy_zpsj9awp9ct.jpg
    511 - Copy_zpsj9awp9ct.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 22

Jaiso

Debate about whether you need a locker aside, to help in your search, you can use the Genesis tool provided by BlackBox Solutions to verify if a given VIN has the rear locker or not.

1. Go to Genesis
  2. Log in as demo/genesisdemo
  3. Click demo then enter the vin
  4. Click full ccf edit
  5. Click edit for the as built data
  6. Review the diff info under powertrain

jwalk04Disco

Observer
THANKS for feedback and help...found 2007 LR3 with HD package.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and help. I finally pulled the trigger on a 07' SE with HD package. It has high miles 117k but was a 1 owner car. Purchased at Colorado Roaring Fork Land Rover and drove it back to Austin with no prob. What a fun car to drive and they are tanks! Looks better in the photo and needs a little work but look forward to enjoing it for a little while.

52332427634__A0CBC865-030E-4D2B-B2EF-75842B6B60DA.jpg

Last edited:

jwalk04Disco

Observer
Regarding whether or not you need a locker, I would say no. That is coming from someone that climbed to the top of Elephant Hill in Canyonlands with a stock LR3 on street tires. This was from the park side, not the Devil's Kitchen side. That said, if you want a locker, you won't be satisfied unless you get one, no matter how capable the truck is without one.

thx Stu, nice shot.

soflorovers

First, thx to all the contributors for great advice on this Forum, it's been helpful!

Need some advice

I've been hunting for a lower mileage LR3 for the past month or so and have come across several well cared for SE's without rear dif lock. I plan on using it for offroading, family trips and towing. I'm new to the whole off-roading world but look forward to learning and building good mems with my boys and family.

-How essential is the rear dif lock?

This is my previous truck without the rear locker. Hope it helps

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDPAzp5Qo-1/?taken-by=soflorovers

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDMLs95wo41/?taken-by=soflorovers

etl330

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and help. I finally pulled the trigger on a 07' SE with HD package. It has high miles 117k but was a 1 owner car. Purchased at Colorado Roaring Fork Land Rover and drove it back to Austin with no prob. What a fun car to drive and they are tanks! Looks better in the photo and needs a little work but look forward to enjoing it for a little while.

View attachment 412887

Nice move! I was talking to Roaring Fork, but needed the beige interior. I picked one up in North Carolina very similar to yours last week. Since last Wednesday we road tripped it home to Denver and then headed to Moab for the weekend - 3k miles in less than a week lol. 07 SE no HD 112k one owner and full service records. Any chance you dealt with Nick Mitros?

Attachments

• Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 13

jwalk04Disco

Observer
Nice move! I was talking to Roaring Fork, but needed the beige interior. I picked one up in North Carolina very similar to yours last week. Since last Wednesday we road tripped it home to Denver and then headed to Moab for the weekend - 3k miles in less than a week lol. 07 SE no HD 112k one owner and full service records. Any chance you dealt with Nick Mitros?

Yeah, I'd prefer the beige interior too, but the bumper, HD, one owner, and swing out spare got me. Plus I think my kids won't tear up the black as fast. They wore out the last D2 with beige interior we had. It sounds like you found what you needed. 3k in a wekk is a great test drive! Mine was not as far but it was great driving the L3 back. Much differnt than my Allroad. I dealt with a guy named Michael who was cool...Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94