Buying an LR3 - HSE/SE HD package with rear locking dif a must?

jwalk04Disco

Observer
First, thx to all the contributors for great advice on this Forum, it's been helpful!

Need some advice

I've been hunting for a lower mileage LR3 for the past month or so and have come across several well cared for SE's without rear dif lock. I plan on using it for offroading, family trips and towing. I'm new to the whole off-roading world but look forward to learning and building good mems with my boys and family.

-How essential is the rear dif lock?

Campndad

Essayons!!
I had a 2006 lr3 SE and never had any issues once you learn how to drive with its computer traction controls. I think it would be nice but may be hard to find. It's more important to have one that was well maintained

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krick3tt

Adventurer
Yes the well maintained aspect is more important than a locker...for now. If you can find out where it was serviced and talk to them, sometimes the PO might not tell you all the things that might cause you issues down the road. My 2007 HSE has the locker and it is probably important but I didn't think all that important on my last off road adventure over some rocks.
You can always have it added later, having saved $$$ by having one that is well taken care of. Get it checked out by a mechanic, worth the money you may spend. If the PO isn't willing to have you check it out...walk away.

Ray_G

Explorer
Locker is not essential by any means.

First off you need to determine what you mean by wheeling it; ie if you want to rock crawl this is the wrong platform anyway.

It is always good to wheel it in stock form first, then start modifying-knowing that everyone modification is a compromise somewhere while optimizing something else.

A winch + maxtrax can get you out of a lot of stuff that a locker might, but with a lot less drama on the truck from a mechanical sympathy perspective.

Just my $.02.
R-
Ray

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Prior maintenance is more important than a locker. None of my Land Rovers had lockers and I was able to do everything that locked up Land Rovers did. Driver experience will get you more places than powering through with lockers.

Last edited:

morrisdl

Adventurer
I had an LR3 for 8 years without rear locker and then added an ARB rear locker for the last 2 years. The locker doesn't make additional terrain possible, it just makes the truck work easier on the same terrain. good luck with the search... Get tires and rock sliders 1st.

rcharrette

Adventurer
We'e had our 08'LR3 for 6 years now. The only thing I've added is lift rods. We are not hard core wheelers but do enjoy getting out there to less seen locations. We do not have lockers and I've done up to class 4 trails in Moab with no problems.

perkj

Explorer
The locker will make it more desirable if/when you go to sell it in the future.

The thing to keep in mind with those saying you can always add an ARB locker later is that an ARB locker plus the labor to install is quite expensive, whereas finding a LR3 with the factory locker will add very little to the selling price as most folks selling LR3 likely won't even know what a locker is (let alone know their LR3 has it).

jwalk04Disco

Observer
Yes the well maintained aspect is more important than a locker...for now. If you can find out where it was serviced and talk to them, sometimes the PO might not tell you all the things that might cause you issues down the road. My 2007 HSE has the locker and it is probably important but I didn't think all that important on my last off road adventure over some rocks.
You can always have it added later, having saved $$$ by having one that is well taken care of. Get it checked out by a mechanic, worth the money you may spend. If the PO isn't willing to have you check it out...walk away.

Thx, I guess what I'm hearing is buy in this order:

1. Solid Service history
2. Mielage does not matter if well service and documented
3. GET INSPECTED 1st
4. Locker and features

I need to be patient, feeling the buy it now bug! Thx for advice Krick3tt!

jwalk04Disco

Observer
Tons of Solid advice...thx all!

The locker will make it more desirable if/when you go to sell it in the future.

The thing to keep in mind with those saying you can always add an ARB locker later is that an ARB locker plus the labor to install is quite expensive, whereas finding a LR3 with the factory locker will add very little to the selling price as most folks selling LR3 likely won't even know what a locker is (let alone know their LR3 has it).

One of my concerns was resale. I usually max out on a car at 4yrs. If I build the Lr3 out, I want to give the least amount of reasons for some one to pass on it. Thx perkj

We'e had our 08'LR3 for 6 years now. The only thing I've added is lift rods. We are not hard core wheelers but do enjoy getting out there to less seen locations. We do not have lockers and I've done up to class 4 trails in Moab with no problems.

Sounds about where my family and I might be regarding wheeling. thx

I had an LR3 for 8 years without rear locker and then added an ARB rear locker for the last 2 years. The locker doesn't make additional terrain possible, it just makes the truck work easier on the same terrain. good luck with the search... Get tires and rock sliders 1st.

thx, This helps me understand one of the reasons it helps.

Prior maintenance is more important than a locker. None of my Land Rovers had lockers and I was able to do everything that locked up Land Rovers did. Driver experience will get you more places than powering through with lockers.

Makes sense!

Locker is not essential by any means.

First off you need to determine what you mean by wheeling it; ie if you want to rock crawl this is the wrong platform anyway.

It is always good to wheel it in stock form first, then start modifying-knowing that everyone modification is a compromise somewhere while optimizing something else.

A winch + maxtrax can get you out of a lot of stuff that a locker might, but with a lot less drama on the truck from a mechanical sympathy perspective.

Just my $.02.
R-
Ray

This helps. I found a few well taken care of SE's without lockers but have a winch that I might reconsider.... thx Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles