Buying an LR3 - HSE/SE HD package with rear locking dif a must?

Decline

Whoa, nice rig. Love the silver ARB on silver body. Mind if I ask what it cost? I'm currently in the process of buying a 05 SE HD for $11.9k with 105k miles. Just checking the market. Seems the HDs command a premium

jwalk04Disco

Observer
Whoa, nice rig. Love the silver ARB on silver body. Mind if I ask what it cost? I'm currently in the process of buying a 05 SE HD for $11.9k with 105k miles. Just checking the market. Seems the HDs command a premium

thx Decline. I'm enjoying it so far.

12k with HD seems about right from my research, but it also depends on service history, owners, and extras. Mine came with extras, so mine was in 13k range. I felt I paid a premium for the mileage but I was ok with it since it had one owner, arb bumper, spare tire swing, HD, and from a Land Rover shop. Take your time and have it inspected. That's what everyone else told me that owns a Lr3. Good luck with your hunt and let me know if I can help in any way.

Decline

I'm actually buying it from a local independent rover shop. 2 owner all southern California. Clean carfax with a lot of dealer service listed. No records of what was actually fixed tho.
They just took it in and the price includes fixing any issues and a full service. So far that includes a compressor, bushings in the front, the thermostat, tires, plugs, filters and all fluids including diffs and trans and everything else in a 100k mile service.
All this would have been done anyway but its nice I got in there early so I picked BFG K02s instead of the highway tires they would have put on it normally.(just have to pay the difference) I also have the same option on the suspension if it looks like its more than just the compressor I can opt for coils or bilsteins and pay the difference. I will know more on monday when the mechanics really get in there and start taking stuff apart.
Wife wanted white or green and they happened to have just gotten this green HD in yesterday. Went and looked at it last night and the int/ext are in great shape so we put a deposit down today. I wanted a later year than 2005, but an HD in good shape and with all the maintenance being performed right now I couldn't pass it up. LR3s in general are sort of hard to find

jwalk04Disco

Observer
I'm actually buying it from a local independent rover shop. 2 owner all southern California. Clean carfax with a lot of dealer service listed. No records of what was actually fixed tho.
They just took it in and the price includes fixing any issues and a full service. So far that includes a compressor, bushings in the front, the thermostat, tires, plugs, filters and all fluids including diffs and trans and everything else in a 100k mile service.
All this would have been done anyway but its nice I got in there early so I picked BFG K02s instead of the highway tires they would have put on it normally.(just have to pay the difference) I also have the same option on the suspension if it looks like its more than just the compressor I can opt for coils or bilsteins and pay the difference. I will know more on monday when the mechanics really get in there and start taking stuff apart.
Wife wanted white or green and they happened to have just gotten this green HD in yesterday. Went and looked at it last night and the int/ext are in great shape so we put a deposit down today. I wanted a later year than 2005, but an HD in good shape and with all the maintenance being performed right now I couldn't pass it up. LR3s in general are sort of hard to find

Congrats, that's my fav combo green/tan and it sounds like they took care of you at the dealership. I like the look of the KO2's. Mine came with the silly street tires, so I need to find some tires. I think I might buy some today but need to do some research on ride quality. I won't be off-roading much at first so need something that favors street but I like the look of ko2's and want the ability to go offroading when needed. Glad you found what you like, quality LR3's do seem to be harder and harder to find.

Decline

I tried to read as many reviews as I could about tires before I decided.
Somewhere(might have been here actually) I read a on road/off road AT tire test with a Toyota engineer and five different tires. I think the winner was the cooper AT3. The caveat being at that time (2014?) the KO2 wasn't available yet.
Then I started comparing the K02 to the AT3 and everyone says the BFG is lighter quieter on the hwy and gets better mileage.
I went with a modest 265/60 18(30.5) since my truck will drive in standard height 95% of the time. I will report back on the noise and mpg later

jwalk04Disco

Observer
I tried to read as many reviews as I could about tires before I decided.
Somewhere(might have been here actually) I read a on road/off road AT tire test with a Toyota engineer and five different tires. I think the winner was the cooper AT3. The caveat being at that time (2014?) the KO2 wasn't available yet.
Then I started comparing the K02 to the AT3 and everyone says the BFG is lighter quieter on the hwy and gets better mileage.
I went with a modest 265/60 18(30.5) since my truck will drive in standard height 95% of the time. I will report back on the noise and mpg later

thx Decline, this was helpful

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles