Fuso FG will not shut off

yugoner

Replaced Alternator, Refurbished Alternator was used. This solved the problem of both noise, low voltage to batteries, and low vaccum light.
However, now faced with the problem that engine will not shut off once key is turned to off position and pulled out of ignition.
No Fuses in both fuse boxes are out, starter is totally fine. Just will not stop unless I stall the motor out.
Anybody have this happen?
I removed which I thought to be the solenoid, that just gave me a check engine light and did not shut the vehicle down when key was turned to off.
Fuel injection problem? Im lost here.
Im getting my exhaust brakes to work, so I don't think it its a problem with vacuum.

Thoughts?

Does anyone have a picture of the wiring schematic? Original Alternator was wired with both ground and positive connected on same bolt to alternator. Seems interesting.

gait

Explorer
I'm not familiar with your engine. On my little bit older FG649 there is a red emergency engine stop button low down on the dash next to steering column. I've never had to use it. Doesn't fix the problem, just avoids stalling approach.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Original Alternator was wired with both ground and positive connected on same bolt to alternator. Seems interesting.

Seems like a dead short to me.

Terminal B is positive
Terminal E is Earth
Terminals L & R are connected to the 2 pin regulator plug

alternator.JPG

Be mindful that using a multimeter to determine continuity on negatively switched circuits can be confusing, as there is always an electrical connection through the relay coils.

gait

Explorer
someone may have put an extra positive wire in. The original may be a bit thin for continuous high current.

if + and - were connected together smoke would be produced. Best trace the wires for future reference.

selfy

Observer
what year, model FG, engine are we talking about ??
the older ones have an edit motor which manually shuts the fuel flow at the pump
ie 2 cables to the fuel pump one is the throttle control the other opens and shuts the fuel flow

yugoner

This will make you guys laugh.
New alternator came restored from a parts shop in Calgary,
Did not include a diode, old one did.
Hooked the leads onto old alternator while new one was still installed, started truck, proceed to turn the key and vwahlaaa she turned off.
Joy. Now to return this new alternator to have diode put in, or refurbish the old alternator.
Glad that was the only issue.
Check yer alternators if you're getting them refurbed.
Thanks for input though guys!

unkamonkey

Explorer
Weeeel. back when I worked at the tire shop. Some diesels would just not shut down. You had to stand on the brakes and let the clutch out to kill them. It sounds like your fuel shut off is not working correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne