The Tacobox Build - A Mini Baja Surf Camper

poorturtle

Observer
Another update... Some kitchen work!

Gas springs added to the kitchen door. Pull-out drawer and cabinetry. Carpeted the storage nooks too. Could be better but hey, this is my first build.

IMG_4100.JPG IMG_4147.JPG IMG_4193.JPG

Drew up a sewing template and have cut the fabric. Waiting on Velcro so I can sew the tent together! Here's a few shots though - in action and showing off the tent area.

IMG_4120.JPG IMG_4135.JPG IMG_4212.jpg

southpier

Expedition Leader
will there be a ladder or just hopping up on the gunnel?

the "ladies" might not think that all too handy.

poorturtle

Observer
will there be a ladder or just hopping up on the gunnel?

the "ladies" might not think that all too handy.

Haha, we'll be climbing the tire. The girlfriend's pretty nimble, so I'm not too worried about it.

I actually thought about welding a step onto the truck, but it's really unnecessary.

poorturtle

Observer
That camper box is legit. I was looking at it at work and people were digging it.

Thanks man. Actually had a few people ask me to build them one, which is tempting. Been talking with a few welder and carpenter friends about doing another this summer... metal though, not fiberglass.

We'll see though, Just finished sewing the tent and that was a real pain. Hahaha!

poorturtle

Observer
Another quick update.

Some (very beginner) sewing shots, and typical use - ha!

There's also a shot of me fitting the tent. I had to redo the skirt and have just added windows today. Had a few issues with it - Should have done the door the other way to make it easier to get in past the awning I'm planning on adding.

Unfortunately I didn't clean the dust out of the sleeping area while doing this fitting. A bunch of it got in the fabric and, since I've developed a cedar dust allergy, it was a huge pain to sew. Had to throw the whole thing in the wash so hopefully that got it all out. Not sure if I mentioned it before, but it sucks. Swollen eyes are no fun.

IMG_4273.JPG IMG_4286.JPG IMG_4301.JPG IMG_4263.jpg

02rangeredge

Adventurer
Gonna add a logo and some stickers, but for the most part leaving it white. My truck is "pyrite mica" which is stupidly expensive to color match.

I guess it would also have some nice reflective properties being white

everyone goes straight to color match it, personally I've always liked a nice complimenting color, so if it's just a little off oh well

txmxer

This...is....beautiful! haha beginner question for you, what did you use to cut out the sides and get precise cuts in the wood? Im trying to build a platform and cut around the wheel wells in a clean way, new to wood work.

poorturtle

Observer
I guess it would also have some nice reflective properties being white

everyone goes straight to color match it, personally I've always liked a nice complimenting color, so if it's just a little off oh well

Not a bad idea. We used car paint though, so at this point it's gonna stay white. Maybe the next one though!

poorturtle

Observer
This...is....beautiful! haha beginner question for you, what did you use to cut out the sides and get precise cuts in the wood? Im trying to build a platform and cut around the wheel wells in a clean way, new to wood work.

Haha no worries - I'm a beginner too. And I wouldn't call my cuts precise - I see a ton of mistakes when I look at this build. :)

I can tell you this - for the small stuff, I used a table saw. It's a Dewalt contractor saw in a table that I built. If I had to do it again, I'd get a much better one. It really wasn't very precise and hard to work with.

For the bigger stuff I used a giant clamping straight edge (Eemerson Tools), and a cordless circular saw (with a nice blade). That setup was awesome, and made really clean, straight cuts. I used a number of squares for different parts. My advice would be to buy a nice speed square and mark everything before clamping. Super cool and useful tool to have on hand.

http://www.rockler.com/all-in-one-low-profile-contractor-clamps-new-improved-clamps
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCS391B-20-Volt-Li-Ion-Circular/dp/B007NVSTO8
https://www.amazon.com/Swanson-Tool-S0101-7-inch-Square/dp/B00002255O

I also did a bunch of work with a router, and sanded the hell out of everything.

One of the problem areas for me is the doors and doorjambs. I'm terrible at it and am actively looking for someone to learn from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior