The Tacobox Build - A Mini Baja Surf Camper

poorturtle

Observer
First real trip with the camper. We went down to Mexico for the weekend - hit up Punta Cabras and the Cabo Colonet / Cuatro Casas area. The surf was small but we had a great time. Did some exploring and have figured out where we're going next (Cabo San Quitin Volcano Fields).

It rained quite a bit actually, and the tent did great. Got to test out the new suspension a bit, and luckily the mud wasn't too bad for my old worn-down tires.

Pretty happy 'cause my dust & wood allergies were not an issue, and all the electrical and plumbing held up great. Wish I'd thrown the longboard up top, but stoked to be able to drive around with a bunch of boards hidden from the sight.

Oh that last shot isn't me, but my buddy airing up before we got back on the pavement.

baja-IMG_9635.jpg IMG_9615.jpg IMG_9593.jpg baja-IMG_9717.jpg IMG_9732.jpg IMG_9753.jpg IMG_9692.jpg IMG_9807-HDR.jpg IMG_4622.jpg IMG_9819-HDR.jpg

Last edited:

02rangeredge

Adventurer
First real trip with the camper. We went down to Mexico for the weekend - hit up Punta Cabras and the Cabo Colonet / Cuatro Casas area. The surf was small but we had a great time. Did some exploring and have figured out where we're going next (Cabo San Quitin Volcano Fields).

It rained quite a bit actually, and the tent did great. Got to test out the new suspension a bit, and luckily the mud wasn't too bad for my old worn-down tires.

Pretty happy 'cause my dust & wood allergies were not an issue, and all the electrical and plumbing held up great. Wish I'd thrown the longboard up top, but stoked to be able to drive around with a bunch of boards hidden from the sight.

Oh that last shot isn't me, but my buddy airing up before we got back on the pavement.

View attachment 438946 View attachment 438947 View attachment 438948 View attachment 438949 View attachment 438950 View attachment 438951 View attachment 438952 View attachment 438953 View attachment 438954 View attachment 438955

I want you to know that every time I see this setup I want it more and more- have you done anything to waterproof the tent portion?

poorturtle

Observer
I want you to know that every time I see this setup I want it more and more- have you done anything to waterproof the tent portion?

Haha thanks!

Yes indeed - I bought waterproof fabric. :) It's duck canvas with a Sunbrella treatment. Supposedly you don't really even need the latter if you care for it properly, but I know I'd be beating it up.

Did find some leaky areas, but that's a design issue (the hinge). I need to cover that and sew in an awning for the window.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles