The Tacobox Build - A Mini Baja Surf Camper

poorturtle

Observer
Hey Everyone,

I'm a long-time reader, and thought I'd post as I'm starting my own truck bed camper build.

I'm going for a lightweight camper with lockable, insulated surfboard storage. I've been debating doing an overcab or smaller version, and decided to start with the latter, as it's a cheaper, unique design that I've been playing with for a long time.

This idea was partly inspired by Heifer Boy's build, and I'll be using similar construction techniques. I'm no expert, but have a bit of experience with fiberglass and epoxy, so I'm confident I'll be able to pull this off. I think.

I'll also be keeping a blog and Instagram going while I work on the camper - I'll add the blog link once it's up.

I'm excited to get going - spent today building a platform to work on, and tomorrow I pick up the wood and start cutting!

IMG_2295.JPG

Last edited:

ripperj

Explorer
A couple diagonals would help keep the table from racking
Post lots of pics of the build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

poorturtle

Observer
Not a bad idea Ripperj.

Anyway, finally made it down to Forest Plywood to pick up the goods. I've got to scarf 1 piece right off the bat, which is admittedly kinda scary.

Going with Hydrotek on this one, as it's my first real camper build and I didn't want to fork over for the Okoume just yet.

And oh yeah - the Instagram's up! @tacobox.camp

IMG_2319.JPG

Last edited:

poorturtle

Observer
So I finished cutting out the base / floor pack. Because of the size I had to scarf 2 pieces together. Don't ever believe what a boat builder tells you - that's a really hard joint to master!

To cut the joint, I built a jig for my router, but if I had to do it again, I'd probably try the circular saw version. Seems like it would be easier and faster. Here are a few shots of the process so far.

IMG_2338.JPG IMG_2351.JPG IMG_2350.JPG IMG_2362.JPG

poorturtle

Observer
Been getting some cuts done, a few every day. Things are coming along!

The 16 gallon water tank just showed up, as well as a few other tools and parts - absolutely loving the new cordless circular saw.

And... I'm finally putting a few of these parts together!

IMG_2406.JPG IMG_2422.JPG IMG_2473.JPG

poorturtle

Observer
Things are moving' along - definitely a messy technique though. Here you can see water tank placement and the surfboard compartment, as well as extra storage on the passenger side.

IMG_2485.JPG IMG_2496.JPG IMG_2509.JPG IMG_2529.JPG IMG_2546.JPG

poorturtle

Observer
Back from vacation and working on the build. Decided to go with chopped strand glass on in the surfboard, propane, and storage area floors... Used way more resin than I'd have liked.

IMG_2589.JPG IMG_2909.JPG IMG_2910.JPG

ohanacrusader

Adventurer
Surfboards are to short just kidding, I am a long boarder mainly classics and the great thing short boarders have is the ability to move boards a lot easier. Killer build up and keep us posted on the progress.

poorturtle

Observer
Surfboards are to short just kidding, I am a long boarder mainly classics and the great thing short boarders have is the ability to move boards a lot easier. Killer build up and keep us posted on the progress.

Haha yeah - I ride both myself. The longboard will have to go up top on racks, but that's ok 'cause it's too heavy to steal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles