Finalizing my drawer thingy, question

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Just about to the point of screwing the top down, slapping some herculiner on it and calling it a day.

Question though, does anybody use a spray foam to fill in behind any gaps? I've been advised to use a closed cell foam. What have others used?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20170730_110112194.jpg
    IMG_20170730_110112194.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 37

rayra

Expedition Leader
I would like to fill in gaps behind the wood and such

To what purpose? Are you after insulation? Or just compelled to 'fill the void'?

You absolutely do NOT want to use spray foam. It's tough to control, sticky as hell and bonds to everything. You'll destroy that shiny new bed trying to use it.

You could use open cell foam sheets (any craft or fabric store), compressed between the drawer unit and the bed. Use enough thickness that you fill the interstitial voids. The foam between the high portions of the corrugation and the drawer box will be crushed quite flat when you use mechanical fasteners to anchor your drawers.

Or just use enough to cover the perimeter of the drawer unit and leave it void in the middle.

eta

too, those voids around the side or your drawer unit are good spots to store tow straps, antennae, jumper cables and other narrow or flexible items, towels, blankets, so they don't eat up space inside the drawers.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
I'd highly recommend getting a quote from LineX or another professional company. Your end result will be beautiful. The do it yourself kits tend to look like just that.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
closed not open

I personally wouldn't fill any of the gaps, however...

You definitely want a closed cell foam. Open cell, like upholstery foam, will wick in and hold water. Bad things will happen afterwards.

Closed cell, like the blue foam sleeping pads, won't pick up water.

rayra

Expedition Leader
It also doesn't compress anywhere near as well. And presumably that bed is covered. Use some strips or even a different form of foam insulation strip, purpose made, to seal the perimeter of the base. There's all sorts of foam gasket materials that will be easy to use and fully removable and more than sufficient for casual use in this particular case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles