Water Proofing

We recently purchased a used XVenture-2 trailer. Its has a low pro trailer cover. We have been caught in several decent rain storms. Each time we end up with water in the trailer. I have tried sealing any other gaps in the trailer but it seems the Velcro sides are the culprits.

Anyone with experience or advice to share would be appreciated.

kzam

Observer
Were you been driving when you ran into the storms or was the trailer parked?

Air flow across a surface can create a whole bunch of different vacuums that will suck water into seams and pockets it wouldn't normally drip into.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
As stated above wind either moving or sitting still will push water in to any place it can go. It's going to leak in that channel then into the trailer as velcro is not designed to be watertight. In doing trailer research I spoke with guys who replaced their leaking tonneau covers with a hard cover. A couple I spoke with said they had very minor water intrusion with the hard cover but it was still miles better than the soft cover.

@Outside thanks for the feedback. I was really hoping I would unearth some yet to be realized solution for the soft cover. But I am beginning to resign mysel to the idea of buying a hard cover.

TwinStick

Explorer
You could always call a company, such as Undercover Truck Bed Covers, & ask if they would make one to your dimensions. You can put bikes, rack, baskets on them too.

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
Schutt Industries sells both a hard folding cover and a hard rolling titanium cover for their XV-2 trailer. They are the same price and both built quite rugged, from everything I've read. The hard folding cover has panels that each lock to the rail. It can open from either end. The hard rolling cover rolls from the tailgate back and installs with rails along each side that attach with self-tapping screws.

Both provide substantially increased security over the vinyl tonneau cover. Hearing from a few past users, most seem to prefer the hard rolling cover, but I can definitely see the advantage of having a cover that opens on the nose-box end, too. I know the hard rolling cover supports up to 400lbs, but I can't say for the folding cover.

No personal experience yet with either, though on the new trailer I'm picking up later this month, I'm replacing the hard folding cover with the hard rolling cover. If I can't do an even swap ClearwaterScott, I may very well have an XV-2 hard folding cover--unused other than showroom floor--for sale.

Can't tell you how either of the above do as far as eliminating water in the cargo area. I suspect almost nothing short of a lid that drapes over the sides would prevent ingress completely.

Let me know if you're interested in the hard folding cover I'll have available. I can swing by MO on my way back from grabbing the trailer.

Last edited:
@Roaddude -- Thanks for the reply and congrats on the new trailer. I REALLY like my trailer. We used for our summer trips, and other than the water issue has been great. I have just begun to look at XV's new offerings and contemplating the value of the switch. I am planning to do a bit more research on these and other after market options.

What's your time line on being in MO?

Roaddude

@ClearwaterScott - So far, looks like I'll be in Oklahoma the week of 08/20, then depending on who's where when, will be running to El Paso and Alpine TX to pick up some gear and tools. So, probably on my way back, and not definite enough a date yet to say. I'd swing by on my way down, but won't yet have the trailer, as I'm grabbing it in OK.

It will be interesting for both of us to compare what we each have for trailers. Mine is an early 2017 XV-2, unused other than pulled in and out of the showroom once. Fairly well loaded, and I should have a bunch of other options/accessories with me that I'm installing myself, so you'll get a pretty good rundown.

Here's my tentative route: https://goo.gl/maps/vGtE7Ekuzm12 :

Route-tentative-2017-08-08 at 13.35.00.jpg

Let's stay in touch. I'll find out if Schutt will swap the covers for me, or if I'll have it available for you.

Road

@Roaddude -- lets keep in touch as your plans for return firm up. We had plenty of space to throw a tent -- Wife gets nervous when I invite strangers to stay in the house but you can probably charm her...

I'd love to compare trailers. Not sure if I will have installed or even possession of my RTT by then but hopefully.

Roaddude

@ClearwaterScott - Sounds good. No problem on arrangements if I stay over, my GMC Savana is plenty comfortable for sleeping. I've used it for years in various configs, all over the US and Canada, winter and summer.

Let me know if you need a hand with anything while I'm there, from carpentry/painting type work to getting your RTT up on your trailer. I'll have time to linger if I want.

You see Schutt now has a new powered lift assist for the rack? Just posted it on their Fb page on the 7th. They also have a new galley table with a textured finish, easier to keep looking nice. It's also 18" shorter and will stow underneath the rack instead of in the cargo bay.

Oh - meant to ask: I see in some literature about the XV-2 that there are four 12v outlets. Does yours have four, and if so, where? I know there is usually one inside the tailgate on the left, with a hookup for solar, too, though don't think I've seen where any others are located.

Last edited:
@Roaddude -- I now have watched the video a dozen times. That auto lift is awesome. I've inquired about availability and pricing. Will pass along what I find out, but seems like a necessary upgrade for you...

Outlets I will have to double check tomorrow when unloading the trailer, we are currently on the way back to MO from COLO. However, I believe there is an outlet in each corner of the bed.

Roaddude

@Roaddude -- I now have watched the video a dozen times. That auto lift is awesome. I've inquired about availability and pricing. Will pass along what I find out, but seems like a necessary upgrade for you...

Outlets I will have to double check tomorrow when unloading the trailer, we are currently on the way back to MO from COLO. However, I believe there is an outlet in each corner of the bed.

@ClearwaterScott - I'll most likely get the new powered lift assist at some point, as I'm not getting a RTT right away and won't have quite as much load up on the rack for awhile. I have the van to sleep in. I'm trying to get into Colorado Campervan's schedule to get a powered lift top on it, so I have both a raised, out-of-the-way sleeping area and a full van-length stand up area during the day when I want to use it as a blind for photography or when weather is lousy and I'm writing/working/reading in the van.

Though, when I get the top done, and then at some point get the 4x4 conversion done (hopefully from the great guys at Sportsman4x4 in Kamloops, British Columbia), I may need the XV-2 and a RTT to stay in while the van is getting worked on. Then more of an assist would be helpful, as I'm old as original sin and short, too.

The trailer I'm picking up this month does have gas struts on it, though, that can help lift a rack with a load. Hell, a lot of people with an XV-2 and a tent up top have no assist at all and lift the rack on their own. I'll be using my trailer solo most of the time, so some assist will be helpful. Fireman78 uses his hi-lift jack, I think, to help raise the rack on his.

I also think waiting a bit might be wise. Schutt has been experimenting with a few different rack-lift assists and I think it might be worthwhile to wait and see how they perfect this new set-up or if they've done all the tweaking they need already.

I saw somewhere on here or OB a guy that rigged a very clever chain-driven lift assist for the rack on his trailer. Simple screw drive inside four posts with a bike-type chain going to each at its base inside the tub, protected and out of sight. He'd power the whole thing with a cordless drill and it went up and down slicker than ********.

I don't remember if you were on this thread or not, but this may be of interest to you for your XV-2, about taking care of rattle in the rack posts: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...-XVenture-by-Schutt-Ind?p=2148626#post2148626

In any event, Scott, I'm anxious to compare our trailers and see the similarities and differences. I think it would be really cool to have a get-together of XVenture trailer owners sometime to compare models, options, after-market mods, etc and to swap stories. I'm down for helping to organize something like that. As Schutt marketing used to say we're "part of the legend."

@Roaddude -- two 12v outlets in the bed (each side of the tailgate) and that is all. The box has the double 110 outlets leading to the Yeti as well as the plug of the solar panels.

I forgot how difficult it is to clean off the red mud of Colorado. I should have upgraded power washers....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles