Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorado diesel narrowly beats Tacoma in head to head comparison

haven is offline Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Leader

Default Colorado diesel narrowly beats Tacoma in head to head comparison

Pickuptrucks.com compared the Colorado ZR2 diesel with Tacoma TRD Pro, both top of the line off road oriented models. The Colorado diesel wins on points, the Tacoma took more categories. So there's something for fans of each brand.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2017/07...a-trd-pro.html

Tacoma narrowly out-pointed Colorado in these categories
    Powertrain, Acceleration, Interior and Value

Colorado diesel won these categories by wider margins
    Braking, Suspension, and Rock crawling

These Categories were a tie:
    Off-Road Technology, and Dirt and Sand Running

Overall winner: Colorado diesel with 143 points to Tacoma's 138 points.

Now we're left to think what the comparison between the gas engine Colorado ZR2 and Tacoma TRD Pro would be like. If the Tacoma barely beat the ZR2 diesel, surely the gasoline engine Colorado would beat both in the acceleration test.

In my eyes the biggest conclusion is that neither one of these trucks is worth anywhere close to the sticker price. Mid 40Ks for that kind of performance? Are you kidding me?

I agree, but they will both sell as many as they can make.
    Well, a hooker would get the joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurous View Post
    In my eyes the biggest conclusion is that neither one of these trucks is worth anywhere close to the sticker price. Mid 40Ks for that kind of performance? Are you kidding me?
    IMO both are aimed at the enthusiast (and/or poseur) market, which doesn't play by normal rules.

With that said, even non-PRO Tacomas are insanely overpriced for what you get, and have been for many years. (I still bought one.)
    Build thread.

I don't overland; I hop between Starbucks in search of the perfect soy milk.

Instagram: @eatsleepwoof

But are there more high-mileage Tacomas, or Colorados on the road?

Quote Originally Posted by fjmario View Post
    Most people only keep a vehicle a few years so it's irrelevant. Now the Tacoma resale value is important though.
    Well, a hooker would get the joke.

That, and what state will the trucks' basic amenities/interior be after just a few years? Especially if the truck sees off-road/washboard during that time?

Every domestic I've ever been in had an interior that was falling apart just 2-3 years off the production line, and those were all city driven. I know that would drive me nuts.

There are lots of factors to consider when getting a vehicle, and everyone prioritizes things differently. Luckily there are options to choose from!

Given that the 2nd generation US spec Colorado has only been in production since 2014 (sold as a 2015 MY), it is going to take some time to see how the reliability fairs.

Quote Originally Posted by eatSleepWoof View Post

With that said, even non-PRO Tacomas are insanely overpriced for what you get, and have been for many years.
    Yes they are! Honestly don't know if they are worth it. Grappling with if I should buy another, or just buy a fullsize.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    Yes they are! Honestly don't know if they are worth it. Grappling with if I should buy another, or just buy a fullsize.
    I was/am after a reliable, "utility" truck with just enough modern creature comforts to keep me happy, and room to mod to my heart's content, so with that criteria, I think the Tacoma is hard to beat. Especially since I live in the city and park underground. With that said, there are definitely days that I wish I had gone for a Tundra. I can see the extra cab room (and definitely the V8) being nice. And with all the modifications (read: weight) I've added, fuel economy should be fairly similar.
    Build thread.

I don't overland; I hop between Starbucks in search of the perfect soy milk.

Instagram: @eatsleepwoof

If one carries a camper, neither have the necessary payload without $$$$ suspension modifications.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast