DIY Propane Firepit

krick3tt

Adventurer
I had a small Campfire in a can long ago but found a large version at a thrift store for $25 that needed a new hose and valve that I was able to source from Amazon for $15. Now the larger one is what I take camping and the small one is for the back yard for those nights with a glass of wine and conversation. I have a fire pit and plenty of scrap wood but going to bed with the smell of smoke and the ashes are more than I want to contend with. It is just more convenient this way.

VC27

Lavabox WAY over priced....made a DIY like yours and works great. Have to add some lava or ceramic rocks... Test run below with it cranked up.

20220219_174040.jpg

ITTOG

I wonder if you drill some holes between the bottom and the grating, so on the sides of the box, if it would help the burn efficiencies and reduce some of the soot in the box.

java

Expedition Leader
I wonder if you drill some holes between the bottom and the grating, so on the sides of the box, if it would help the burn efficiencies and reduce some of the soot in the box.
Yes it probably would help, but for me it's sitting in snow often, which would flood the box... Also make shortage easier, if small lava rocks etc get thru the grate they stay in

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
For those of you who've built one I'm curious how sooty the flame has been? I'm making some design comparisons and planning to also post a full bill of materials for this. I'm not surprised at the marketing of the retailer who's taken advantage of this but the apparent attempt to pass it off as something original on their part when that is so highly doubtful is kinda $hi77y in my book.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
My homemade is sooty as all hell but I sorta grew one together on a whim. I’d drill smaller holes and less of them. Also I’d fashion some legs. Eh it works for what it is so far and I balance it on rocks ********!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jnack

Anyone have any issues with the heat conducting via the brass fitting for propane inlet and causing issues with flexible tubing? My flexible tubing basically came apart at the fitting -- seems like the rubber inside melted and the compression fitting came apart. i had one hose that the regulator crapped out, replaced with this hose and than this happened. it wasn't an issue with my first hose so im not sure if i just got a bad hose or if i should consider a change in design to reduce heat conduction to the flexible tubing

Attachments

• IMG_4093.JPG
    IMG_4093.JPG
    541.9 KB · Views: 56

WOODY2

Adventurer
The soot issue can be mitigated by introducing air into the propane fuel line close to the burning source much like a BBQ does. Sounds simple but getting the right connectors can be fun. As the soot goes down so does the yellow flame we all desire, nothing like sitting around a gas range like flame in the boonies.

robcc

I was thinking of building one of these but using 1/2" black iron pipe (vs bent copper) like I've seen in the lava box. I was considering adding a brass air mixer to solve the soot issue but after reading a few of these posts I'm gathering this will make the flame more blue vs a yellow flame. Am I correct that there is a trade off of soot/ yellow flame vs blue flame/cleaner burn with an air mixer? I think I saw Ignik firecan has an air mixer when I looked at it at a store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94