VW Caddy What to do electrical wise.

konastab01

So I already have a roof tent on my van which I use for weekend but I'm going travelling in it for a month and I need to put electricity and stuff in it to charge stuff.

My thoughts:

2 Leisure batteries and split charger with plug sockets ( Want to charger drone, cameras, laptop and use to with lights inside too.)
Sound deadening
Insulate
Carpet sides and roof
Install proper lights with switch that will run off the leisure battery.

Do I need 2 leisure batteries as I won't start the van for 4 or 5 days at a time on the trip so dont want it running out of juice or is this over kill?

Is there anything else I should install, got the shower in the bag and got a small portable 2 burner stove which I will use outside unless the weather is bad and I'll cook indoors.

Any other suggestions I should maybe look into doing? Also Im in the uk if that makes any difference and planning on going to Europe for that month.

Thanks

scottishpinz

Adventurer
I recently saw a great little table to calculate battery needs. If I remember correct it is watts drawn x hours divided by 12 (for 12V car) = amp hours

Hopefully with that you can work out your leisure battery needs. Are you adding a charging system so the batteries charge whilst driving?

Just one thing I have found using gas stove outside is how susceptible to wind they are, so a wind shield might be something to consider. I tend to cook in the van because of that, albeit with windows open for ventilation.

Heat can be a problem further south in europe and reflective screens over the windows make a big difference and help keep the van inside cool when parked in the sun.

Do you have swb Caddy? Are you sleeping inside or in the roof tent? Would be great if you can post up some photos of your van as there are not so many Caddy Campers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior