Cool new cooking ideas from the most recent Outdoor Retailers show.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
There was lots of cool stuff at the most recent OR show.
One that got me thinking was a Korean company that makes a self heating container for cooking food without a stove.
http://honestfood.co.kr/product2/

It heats up to boiling temperature for about 15 minutes. Not ideal for cooking but fine for re-heating precooked meals. Seems like a a good idea for on the go cooking or hiking/backpacking where you don't want an open flame.
It's not surprising this came from asia, they've had cool self heating meals since I went there back in 2006. This is the same thing but you can put your own food in.

Anyway...
It got me thinking, this is basically the same thing as the flameless ration heater that comes in MREs. Somebody just came up with the idea of making a dedicated silicone cooker for it. But you can already buy those heaters stand-alone at most Army/Navy Surplus and Survival gear stores.

So has anybody done this on their own?
Cooking a meal(s) at home before a trip.
Stick it in a vacuum sealer bag.
Bring a tupperware, or some other container to hold everything and prevent burns.
Then do your own MRE style meal heating on the go or when you can't bust out the whole kitchen.

TwinStick

Explorer
I am an absolute fan of pre-cooking the meat before a trip. That said, we are NOT minimalists. If I had $10 for every time we camped in bad weather, or not, & a camping neighbor asked how do you prepare meals so fast in inclement weather, or not, I could take my wife to a nice restaurant & pay for the meal. We use a microwave. We have one in our camper & i also bought a small 700watt one with rotary dials, & use that when we tent camp. It is just SO CONVENIENT. Never have to worry about the weather to eat a great meal. I have a 2000/4000 watt inverter that we can use when we don't have electric or the Honda generator. I pre-cook the meat (usually chicken, steak, burgers, sausage, hotdogs, or pork), put it into plastic double zip sealed bags & throw em in the ARB cooler. When we camp, we like to relax or do things like hiking/biking/fishing/day trips, etc... The last thing i want to worry about is eating a good meal because the weather stinks. sometimes i do cook over the/a campfire, but not usually. Dutch ovens are great if you have the room & carrying capacity. Everyone's idea of camping is different. We love options. The more, the better.

Sometimes, we bring this: https://www.madeinamericastore.com/the-all-american-grill-8323.html

Last edited:

BobsCreek

Adventurer
I love my el cheapo heated lunch box... plug it in and toss your premade food in... Ive gotten evil looks on cold days for eating a steaming breakfast burrito lol

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I've loved my 12v heated lunchbox. But I killed my battery and couldn't start my engine one time which is probably why I'm interested in an alternative.

I do a lot of photography and time seems to travel at different speeds when I do. I pull off to take some "quick pictures" for about 15 minutes, but in real time about and hour or two passes because I'm so pre-occupied.
Then it turned out the lunch box was plugged into an always on outlet and my battery wasn't quite able to turn over the motor. :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke