Is a Land Cruiser the right choice

khans

Hello everybody! I'm new to the forum.

I'm looking for some guidance.

Recent trips (with lots of driving) to Costa Rica and Iceland have inspired me to get a 4x4 rig.

My near term needs are a vehicle that I can use as a family hauler (2 adults, 2 kids and 2 of their friends) to shuttle between Seattle and Orcas Island. That's roughly 80 miles of highway driving (one way) followed by a 45 min ferry ride, followed by a 10 minute drive of which the last portion is a gravel road best covered by a vehicle with some clearance.

I've done a fair amount of research (a lot on this forum) and narrowed my search down to a 100 series land cruiser.

My main question is if a 100 series land cruiser would be well suited for this type of (initial) need or if the mpg, comfort level, size make it unsuitable for this sort of use.

Let's start there and hope you all will forgive me for asking a lot of follow on questions.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I own a 100 series Land Cruiser (1999) the 100 series will do all you are asking and more. They are great rigs!

Highway driving, superb.
2 adults and 4 kids (sans lots of camping gear) easy.
Gravel road, no problem.
I would look at the lowest mileage you can find with good records, but don't be afraid of a high mileage 100 that has the maintenance records to prove good care and scheduled maintenance.
MPG... uh, depends on what you're used to but 15-17mpg is normal for a stock DD.
Comfort, superb.
It's a big truck, but handles like a much smaller SUV.
It is wildly capable in stock form.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

khans

Thanks! Exactly the type of validation i was looking for.

Based on what I've read here, the unicorn I'm looking for is a 2004-2007, 1 owner, < 150k miles, well maintained (with all service records), in White or Grey.

Do people have a perspective on buying a stock 100 and modding it vs starting with someone else's "built" 100.

How much does a built 100 compromise in the way of ride comfort, fuel efficiency, and usability? And are there cost benefits associated with getting a pre-built vehicle?

Any fine folks here who are ready for their next project and are looking for a new home for their rig? :)

ekapel

As a recent new owner of a 100 Land Cruiser after 10 years with a Gwagen, I agree with the above. I looked for almost
a year before I found a good LC 100. I looked at dozens of LCs and LX470s that looked great in the photos but were rusted
on the underside, a common feature from rust belt areas. I ended up with a 2005 from LA Craigslist which was rust free
and w/55k miles so I paid 3 times the going rate but it was a deal! These trucks can survive almost anything (with enough $)
but rust cannot be fixed, and rust never sleeps.

BG841

I recently purchased an '06 LC for weekend and week long adventures and I was actually surprised by the ride. I expected more of a truck feel given the size. Transitioning out of a daily driver Rx300, I actually like the heft of the LC better than the RX. I added some E rated tires, and that stiffened the ride a bit, but if you keep it street friendly it will be a dream to drive based on your stated needs. Good luck with the search, and if you need help looking at 100's in the SF Bay Area (you'll have to widen your search area to find a good rust free truck), I'm happy to do initial recon for you.

JLee

Adventurer

Based on what I've read here, the unicorn I'm looking for is a 2004-2007, 1 owner, < 150k miles, well maintained (with all service records), in White or Grey.

Do people have a perspective on buying a stock 100 and modding it vs starting with someone else's "built" 100.

How much does a built 100 compromise in the way of ride comfort, fuel efficiency, and usability? And are there cost benefits associated with getting a pre-built vehicle?

Any fine folks here who are ready for their next project and are looking for a new home for their rig? :)

If you're just doing gravel roads, don't bother modding unless you really want to spend money.

Klierslc

Explorer
Maybe an unpopular opinion, but unless you are going to do more with it than what you stated, a 1st gen Sequoia (2005-2007w VVTI) would be a far better option and would cost you a lot less. They are easier to find as well. Your limiting factor will be space on the 100. If you go with a 2+2+2 seating arrangement, you will have very little room for any gear. Unless you employ a hitch carrier or a roof rack, you won't have room for more than a small cooler and a dufflebag or two. If you go with 2+3+1 seating and fold up or remove the other 3rd row seat, you'll be fine for space. The sequoia has plenty of room in the back without bothering with folding seats. In addition, my 7 year old is starting to find the 3rd row of the 80 somewhat small and it is out of the question for my 12 and 14 year olds. Depending on how long you plan on keeping the vehicle, you might look into something that fits bigger kids.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The small part about 4 kids not two seems to be missed by the LC club. Its why I sold my LC and replaced it with a gen 1 Sequoia. The 3rd row in the Sequoia is actually usable beyond the occasional in town overflow seat found in the LC.

I suggest Suburban for plenty of room, passengers and gear. Or Sequoia for passenger room and a loaded roof rack.

A mercedes station wagon can do gravel roads all day long thats a non issue.

The LC works for 4 plus stuff. It does not work for 6 plus stuff.

collk22

Observer

Don't buy a cruiser for MPG. Best case is somewhere in the 15-17 mpg range...more realistic is 13-15.

I've purchased 2 'built' rigs at this point (1989 cruiser and 1998 cruiser)...buying a built rig is nice in that it can be cheaper than building yourself (I could not have purchased and built my rigs myself for what I paid), but it can also come with the hassle of figuring out what someone else has done when it goes wrong and you'll pay for that either in time or money or both depending on how handy you are and if you have to outsource the labor.

6 People is a bit tight in a 100 series, but it's definitely doable. Depending on the amount of gear you haul, you'll probably want to look at a trailer or rooftop storage.

Based on what you've described your needs as, find the nicest, lowest mileage, stock LC you can afford and put some all terrain tires on it and call it a day.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Not if you buy the right built truck from the right person who built it right.

Cheers

Don't buy a cruiser for MPG. Best case is somewhere in the 15-17 mpg range...more realistic is 13-15.

I've purchased 2 'built' rigs at this point (1989 cruiser and 1998 cruiser)...buying a built rig is nice in that it can be cheaper than building yourself (I could not have purchased and built my rigs myself for what I paid), but it can also come with the hassle of figuring out what someone else has done when it goes wrong and you'll pay for that either in time or money or both depending on how handy you are and if you have to outsource the labor.

6 People is a bit tight in a 100 series, but it's definitely doable. Depending on the amount of gear you haul, you'll probably want to look at a trailer or rooftop storage.

Based on what you've described your needs as, find the nicest, lowest mileage, stock LC you can afford and put some all terrain tires on it and call it a day.

4Beast

Observer
To answer the OP's question, yes, a Land Cruiser would suit you fine (sounds like you'll need a roof box and/or a hitch rack for gear, as you'll have 6 passengers taking up most of the interior room). Other vehicles would also suit you fine though, and I haven't really heard anything that would push you toward "definitely needs a Land Cruiser" territory. A Sequoia, or Suburban as another poster said, might actually meet your needs better, and a Honda Pilot, 4Runner or a dozen other vehicles would probably be fine as well, in all honesty, especially if you are considering MPGs. You should get a cruiser, modified or otherwise because you really want one, or want something that they have or do better than other vehicles. As far as modified vehicle prices, there is probably more value for modified ones, but then many people prefer slightly different mods than a previous owner may have done, so if you're not picky then it's a good option, but it doesn't sound like you NEED one.

Madbodhi

Observer
Any number of vehicles could easily handle the duties you specify. The Land Cruiser could but it's overkill and you'll take a hit at the gas pump as well as the cost of parts. A 3 row crossover like the Highlander or Mazda CX-9 would be better choices unless your future plans include considerably more rugged terrain.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
8d53ffd39e09ec9b362c262a7884f13b.jpg

I had 4 adults and 3 kids in car seats in this picture. You just get more creative with packing.
I would only give up my 100 for a 200! I honestly haven't used my 100 to its fullest capability off-road yet, but I thoroughly enjoy it. Even having over paid for a low mileage example. I'm at 79k miles right now. I bought it 5 years ago with 41k.
There are plenty of vehicles that will meet your needs. Buy what stirs your soul! Life is too short. For me that is a LC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne