Is a Land Cruiser the right choice

borison

Adventurer
Nobody, at least in the states really needs a lc. Are they super bad *** and everybody wants one? I think so, I'd take just about any lc model if I could some how justify the cost, mpgs and how overkill it would be for what I normally do. I put an old Subaru OB through it's paces, if it could haul even more it would be pretty damn awesome. Should you get a lc? Probably so, like I said, I would. It'll make you feel better, and they're bad ***. Will it be more or less than you need? Probably, but it's only money. What else are you gonna do with it? Scratch your itch. And post pictures.

xbombtek

Observer
Sounds like a van might be a better fit for your needs OP. Highway and gravel roads don't really require much in the way of "rugged performance". Sounds like occupant capacity is your main hurdle. So, mini-van or similar would handle that no problem.

fireball

Explorer
A first gen sequoia has way more room than a 100 or 200. We have one of each and the sequoia wins hands down for people hauling. It all depends on what you're going to do with it and how hard you might wheel it.

haven

Expedition Leader
If it were driver and 4 passengers plus luggage, then the 100 series would be a fine selection. Adding a fifth passenger changes the equation. How old are the kids and friends? Are they linebacker-size high schoolers or kindergarteners still in car seats?

Arktikos

Explorer
If you're just doing gravel roads, don't bother modding unless you really want to spend money.

An out of the box, stock Land Cruiser of any vintage is one of the coolest and most capable 4x4s out there. Don't bother modding unless you have plans for heavy duty off roading, or you want to look like a ************ driving a battle wagon around Orcas Island. :)

khans

Thanks for all the responses!

A bit more context for you all.

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids - ages 9 and 11). The +2 is similarly aged friends of the kids that *may* be interested in accompanying us for the trip.

Initial use is commuting primarily.

However, mid to long term I want to get into more off-roading. The property on Orcas Island (an island known for having a lot of rock) is on a hill (not steep, but not that gradual either - 30 degree incline) which may make a perfect space to learn, test, and hone my off road skills - all in the back yard :).

Beyond that I'd love to do a road trip to Costa Rica (and depending on how successful that is) to Patagonia.

I've had a few SUVs in the past but never really considered a LC due to size. However, I recently figured out that we've been driving around SUVs that are basically mini vans badged as SUVs :) (Acura MDX, Mazda CX9). Still I do think that the Toyota Sequoias and Suburbans are just too big.

Is it fair to say that the LCs are more desirable than the LX's - even though the LX's have more bells and whistles.

khans

One more important requirement is towing ability.

Need to be able to tow a boat with a dry weight of 4,101 lbs. I'm guessing that with fuel, trailer etc. it'll be closer to 6,000 lbs.

Doing some research online shows that the 100 cruisers can tow 6,500 pounds but curious about actual real world usage.

What are people's experiences towing with a 100 series cruisers.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader

Need to be able to tow a boat with a dry weight of 4,101 lbs. I'm guessing that with fuel, trailer etc. it'll be closer to 6,000 lbs.

Doing some research online shows that the 100 cruisers can tow 6,500 pounds but curious about actual real world usage.

I have an lite/stock 06 LX470 with VVTI power and regularly tow a 5000lbs boat with normally 2-3 people. It does is OK but jumping up to 6 people and 6000lbs Im thinking you are going to want a 5.7 like others have suggested.

p nut

butter

I was ok with the LC recommendation (or the Gen 1 Sequoia) until this comment. You need the 5.7. Not want--NEED! I had a 100, towed with it, and only a 3-4k lb trailer. It struggled up grades.
-
If I were in your shoes, I would get an 08+ Sequoia with the 5.7L. It will do what you need off-road, more spacious, and set up to tow 6k lbs much much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke