2016 Sprinter 4x4 DIY + CCV pop top build

swedishSTile

Observer
Ya, its not ideal. My under hood Aux has the temperature probe on it. With the van sitting idle in the sun, they are approximately the same temperature. If we are using the van, then the under hood battery is hotter. The only time the one inside the van is warmer is at night when I am running the espar, but I dont have any solar contribution at night so not really an issue. None of this stops me from fretting about it and constantly checking on the batteries.

My original plan was to allow the solar to float charge the starter batter (I have a split charge controller) which may have been problematic with only one temperature sensor, but that was before I elected to have two separate coach banks. Now the starter battery only gets charged while driving. I have a jump switch that I can start the van off of in the event that the starter battery dies. The second bank does not have temperature compensation at all, which again is not ideal, but I didnt leave myself enough room for multiple charge controllers. Maybe version 2.0 will be a little more thought out if I have find the need to revisit the design.

My electrical system is fairly simple by design. I didnt go overboard with monitoring equipment and high end chargers. I dont have a hook-up. If any given component fails or doesnt work out, its simple to access and replace. My electricity usage is mostly the fan and fridge with some hot water heating (usually while under way so I am not taxing the batteries) and some hair dryer and coffee maker use. I built the van to go camping, while keeping the family happy, not to go glamping. I dont do any cooking with or in the van and I never plan to. I want to be outdoors, not inside a van that is outdoors.

Last edited:

dstock

Explorer
Great build! We're looking at doing a similar style build down the road, lots of great information to work with here, thanks for posting.

swedishSTile

Observer
Finished the van, took it to ALuminess for a bumper and swing arms, and then 10 miles later it died abruptly at freeway speeds. Its been with San Diego Mercedes Sprinter for a week. F-ing Mercedes. 5k miles on the clock.

Anyway: Water system complete and it works AWESOME. 15 minutes to heat up yeilds about 6 gallons of ~100deg water. I know its a rats nest, but I was working with 3 plumbing standards. What a PITA!
JF7YBwgl.jpg

FkoSjCCl.jpg

WnxXGI4l.jpg

Modified spare tire carrier to hold water tank:
8LV8HG9l.jpg

bGhg9HPl.jpg

Solar panels up and pumping out the juice
M2TXcrvl.jpg

And the last I saw her
n1ko3cTl.jpg

Its looking like the truck took issue with the rear parking sensors being disconnected and fried itself. They have been replacing all kinds of stuff including the fuse box's. They got the van running yesterday but are still troubleshooting. Hoping its not a finger pointing game with ALuminess. However they have been cool so far and more than accommodating so I dont think that will be the case. Good crew the aluminess family!

SoCalChaos

Observer
got an update on this?
local MB Sprinter dealers in SoCal blowing out 2016s for nearly $10k off MSRP... all 2wd, makes it tempting

swedishSTile

Observer
Sorry for the late reply SoCalChaos, I mostly post on sprinter source. Exhaust was cut by aluminess to accommodate the bumper, van went into re gen, melted a wiring harness and shut the van down. Aluminess helped orchestrate repairs, and footed the $1600 repair bill. Stand up company.

The tank is glass insulated, not glass lined. So no, no concern with it. Metal tank with glass insulation on the outside of it.

Van is a blast. Working on figuring out suspension right now but have been utterly enjoying it otherwise...
QuEGxFWh.jpg

5Kmh4Tvl.jpg

gjGPFLal.jpg

SJ7hXcIl.jpg

I3rC7WTl.jpg

rqo11P7l.jpg

SoCalChaos

Observer
not a problem, i actually found your thread on SprinterSource. glad it was sorted out and Aluminess stepped up.
Sprinter looks awesome!

swedishSTile

Observer
Enough for my wife....
I dont have an exact measurement, but I am 5'7" and have to tuck my chin to my chest and slouch ever so slightly to "stand up" back there. About the only thing I do back there is cut up food on the counters, wash dishes and get in and out of the fridge and cabinets. More headroom would be great and potentially when the kids get older I will move the galley to the front of the van under the opening for the pop top and have a permanent bed storage system back there. For now I am just using it as much as possible.

swedishSTile

Observer
Suspension is sorted out. VanCompass rear mini leaf pack (running 3 leafs) with Fox remote reservoir rear shocks. Up front are Fox Shocks, with VanCompass shock mounts. Van is sitting level and actually has some rake when it is unloaded which I like. The shocks have transformed the ride.

Install thoughts: Back was cake, except the factory spring center pin. I had to weld a bar onto the back to keep it from spinning to get the top nut looose. Everything went smooth in the front. The lower shock mounts have a THICK coating of powder coat. I had to take an angle grinder with a flap wheel to the inside edges to get the shock to slide in and even then I had to use a mallet. I trimmed a lot less fender plastic off than the instructions suggest and maintained one mounting point that VC removed. I think my trimming is the way to go for minimal dirt and crap getting where you dont want it. My drivers side looks even better than my passenger side (pictured).

ei3I4Gel.jpg

HkPcBIUl.jpg

nSwRNHgl.jpg

E2Wjk7Fl.jpg

GL3yBl2l.jpg

gzNtVgUl.jpg

PD1jDx8l.jpg

jL5LoB6l.jpg

SrDTofll.jpg

Hard to tell here, but the van sits level now, well actually the rear is about 1/3"-1/2" high, but its not loaded. Once I get my travel load back into the van (water, clothes, food, 3 more people, firewood etc) I am sure it will sit level to 1/4" low
K37dDXll.jpg

py1vWARl.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles