03 xterra lift

XJINTX

Explorer
I'd REALLY recommend the Swaybar Torsion bar upgrade on a first gen!!! Actually I don't remember kits not selling them when they include A-arms. Also if not changing the leafpac I'd at least use AAL's. I been away from Xterr'as for awhile but had 2 first gens... loved the and wheeled them a lot.

Darren2001

That's a solid kit man. Basically the same set up that I went with. But I have Bilstein 5100s as well.

You don't need a bodylift to run 33s if you don't mind doing a little fender trimming. Don't forget to get some new cam bolts just in case yours are heat welded into the bushings (common problem). If that's the case you're most likely going to have to cut the stock UCAs out. So yeah, better to be prepared just in case.

Glad to see another 1st Gen here!!

red_5

Adventurer
Take a look at CalMini as well, they make a ton of good stuff for the Xterra --> http://www.calmini.com/model.php?b=1&m=1

I had an `02 Xterra SE/SC for 12 years. I bought the truck new and threw pretty much the entire CalMini catalog at it aside from their shocks (I ran Bilsteins) and transfer case gears. I ran their complets 3" IFS suspension, the HD steering, bumpers (swing away on the rear), skids, sliders, roof rack. I was completely happy with the parts and had no issues with fitment, function or durability with their stuff. Everything I got from them was well built and worked.

Just a note on lifting the 1st gen Xterra - you really want a HD steering setup if you want bulletproof steering. The stock parts won't last long on a lifted truck....

You can PM me if you have any specific questions, etc.

Last edited:

Darren2001

Calmini is hit or miss nowadays. Unfortunately they lack good customer service and often times their shipping takes months. They do make good parts though, but I personally steer clear of them due to the MANY issues that fellow Xterra owners have experienced.

I will also echo the upgrading the stock steering system. I'm lifted and running 32" tires and haven't had any issues yet. I've upgraded the IAB, but plan on upgrading the rest of the steering system asap.

SRStaff

Observer
If you want the best parts; you are much better off piecing the lift together. I personally will take 4x4 parts.com over Calmini. Granted I do have the Calmini AAL from them. I made sure they had it in stock by calling them before I placed my order. SAW TB are 10% stiffer than what Calmini sells. Have a buddy with the Calmini and I have the SAW TBs. I can notice the difference. You can run 33's without a body lift and no metal cutting if you know how to set it up. That is how I run mine. Like everyone has mentioned; beef up the OEM steering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke