Tepui rtts

Stryder106

Explorer
As mentioned before - if you are looking for uncompromised quality - you only have two choices - Eezi-Awn and Howling Moon. Everything else after this is compromise in either fabric, flooring, poles, hardware - something. The original assessment from a major review magazine of the Tepui tents when they first came out was "Tepui appears to be a cheap knock off of the ARB....". You really do get what you pay for - and either of those two tents you WILL PAY A LOT for - but only once ;)

gseim

I'll look into those. It just seems odd that no US/CA makers have popped up making a higher quality tent yet. I was hoping we missed one.

I'll look into those. It just seems odd that no US/CA makers have popped up making a higher quality tent yet. I was hoping we missed one.

Mayor you should make one. You seem to know everything there is to know about roof top tent design and materials.

Box Rocket

As mentioned before - if you are looking for uncompromised quality - you only have two choices - Eezi-Awn and Howling Moon. Everything else after this is compromise in either fabric, flooring, poles, hardware - something. The original assessment from a major review magazine of the Tepui tents when they first came out was "Tepui appears to be a cheap knock off of the ARB....". You really do get what you pay for - and either of those two tents you WILL PAY A LOT for - but only once ;)
There are compromises with Eezi-awn and Howling Moon as well. There's not a product out there that will be perfect for everyone.

Box Rocket

As someone else mentioned, I have no doubt if I was speaking of a generic brand like Smittybuilt people would have had little problem with me complaining about a quality!

What may be worse than the durability of my Tepui is a company who blows us off as customers and even sits by while people mock and attack us for speaking up. The crazy thing is I truly wanted to Like Tepui, all they had to do to make me a loyal customer was work to resolve my issue in a fair manner. This has been more than a look at how to improve RTT's, it's been an inside peek into a true customer service failure and how it could have been easily avoided.

I do plan to finish a fair video that brings together both pros and cons but I would really like to find some brands that have a more durable floor and maybe use that to compare in my review. I'll look at Eezi-awn but if anyone knows others who use more durable materials please chime in so I can research them. I'm sure the Tepui Ruggedized is nice but I think that's off my list of potentials for higher quality based on Tepui's complete failure at the customer service aspect. A good product not backed by solid and caring company will always be less than great. I figure there are companies that make a sturdy product that also really care more about customer satisfaction.

What's the floor like on the Howling Moon and others? Does anyone else use diamond plate or how about a sturdy composite material? I don't plan to engage with negativity or name calling or even respond to it; life's too short.What would be great is more input on tents. Let's all figure out what our options are so we can make informed choices and help people avoid this kind of frustration in the future.
If you saw my last post with a statement directly from Tepui management you would see the question to please cite where Tepui expressly states that their tents can be stood on and/or used as a platform? Again, the photos you use as evidence that it's "advertised" as such are all customer photos from the internet, not images endorsed or published by Tepui. Tepui cannot control how customers use their tents and just because you see something being done with a tent by a customer is not an endorsement of any particular use of the tent by Tepui.

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
If you saw my last post with a statement directly from Tepui management you would see the question to please cite where Tepui expressly states that their tents can be stood on and/or used as a platform? Again, the photos you use as evidence that it's "advertised" as such are all customer photos from the internet, not images endorsed or published by Tepui. Tepui cannot control how customers use their tents and just because you see something being done with a tent by a customer is not an endorsement of any particular use of the tent by Tepui.

No offense, but you may want to have your social media team re evaluate the content they put onto social media.. unfortunately most people are "monkey see Monkey Do" ........

and with that said a quick glance at social media of Tepui tents, one would think that standing on or in your tent is completely normal...
9dfc030c86b6171cad5f4800f789426d.jpg
1438fce25095b5de3d151c9aa44c1bf9.jpg
a5f6ad2d1c30b44117e00543b0ace678.jpg
366d4e752773684c7f4ccb4efed497e0.jpg

The fact that your social media Team posts these is straight telling people its ok to stand on them... unfortunately that is what it has come to..

blahhhhhh

Box Rocket

No offense, but you may want to have your social media team re evaluate the content they put onto social media.. unfortunately most people are "monkey see Monkey Do" ........

and with that said a quick glance at social media of Tepui tents, one would think that standing on or in your tent is completely normal...
9dfc030c86b6171cad5f4800f789426d.jpg
1438fce25095b5de3d151c9aa44c1bf9.jpg
a5f6ad2d1c30b44117e00543b0ace678.jpg
366d4e752773684c7f4ccb4efed497e0.jpg

The fact that your social media Team posts these is straight telling people its ok to stand on them... unfortunately that is what it has come to..

blahhhhhh
No offense taken. Again, those are all customer submitted/posted photos. Tepui is sharing customers using their tents. This is not an endorsement of any particular use of the tent. It's been mentioned numerous times that many people, myself included, have stood inside one of the Sky tents or on top of a folded tent. Pressure "footprint" of someone standing is not the same as someone kneeling directly on the base material. Kneeling is more likely to cause dents, period. It's a known thing. If customers choose to kneel on a closed tent, they run the risk of cosmetic dents. It does not effect the structure or function of the tent, so again, NOT a warranty issue, and this is not exclusive to Tepui tents, but other brands also. If that is not acceptable to a customer, Ruggedized models are available that avoid this.
To reiterate an anology several people have mentioned already. If this same customer was to kneel on the roof of his van and it dented, the manufacturer would not warranty that and replace the vehicle or repair the damage, and that's on a far more expensive product than a tent. We've all seen photos of people on the roof of their cars, even from a manufacturer. That's still not encouraging someone to go climb on the roof of their car. An element of common sense should still apply.

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
No offense taken. Again, those are all customer submitted/posted photos. Tepui is sharing customers using their tents. This is not an endorsement of any particular use of the tent. It's been mentioned numerous times that many people, myself included, have stood inside one of the Sky tents or on top of a folded tent. Pressure "footprint" of someone standing is not the same as someone kneeling directly on the base material. Kneeling is more likely to cause dents, period. It's a known thing. If customers choose to kneel on a closed tent, they run the risk of cosmetic dents. It does not effect the structure or function of the tent, so again, NOT a warranty issue, and this is not exclusive to Tepui tents, but other brands also. If that is not acceptable to a customer, Ruggedized models are available that avoid this.
To reiterate an anology several people have mentioned already. If this same customer was to kneel on the roof of his van and it dented, the manufacturer would not warranty that and replace the vehicle or repair the damage, and that's on a far more expensive product than a tent. We've all seen photos of people on the roof of their cars, even from a manufacturer. That's still not encouraging someone to go climb on the roof of their car. An element of common sense should still apply.

Oh i totally agree.. Im just saying, people are dumb.. social media is a big voice for customers these days... even on the front page of your website, it shows a half a dozen people sitting or standing on top of their tents... .. to me thats endorsement of a product that is tuff enough to get on top of... using the kneeling or standing method really makes no difference.. some people step on their tippy toes when they walk.. some walk on the heels of their feet.. some one kneeling down have now separated all of their weight between 4 points of impact.. if they are on thier hands and knees..that line of reasoning is really just dumb.. but hey i put a chair on top of my tent and sit up their so what do i know...

blahhhhhh

Box Rocket

Right. As I've said before, I have stood on top of my own tents. I don't worry about it with my Ruggedized model. When I had a standard model, I knew the risk. It's documented well enough that the information can be found quite easily to know what one can expect. The standard models are more prone to cosmetic damage when used in that way. Doesn't stop people from doing it, they just know the risk.

Badmeat

Right. As I've said before, I have stood on top of my own tents. I don't worry about it with my Ruggedized model. When I had a standard model, I knew the risk. It's documented well enough that the information can be found quite easily to know what one can expect. The standard models are more prone to cosmetic damage when used in that way. Doesn't stop people from doing it, they just know the risk.
I'm actually looking at RTT options. Would you say the ruggedized version is worth the extra $$$?

Also, this argument about kneeling on the underside of the tent has gotten a little ridiculous. I can see both sides of it, as it's a lot of money but I'm not planning on climbing on top of a folded up RTT once I purchase one...

Box Rocket

I'm actually looking at RTT options. Would you say the ruggedized version is worth the extra $$$?

Also, this argument about kneeling on the underside of the tent has gotten a little ridiculous. I can see both sides of it, as it's a lot of money but I'm not planning on climbing on top of a folded up RTT once I purchase one...
Personally for me and my uses, the Ruggedized is definitely worth it. All around upgrades in materials and durability as well as some added features (like the anti-condensation mat included). If you plan to use it frequently and use it hard (or even if you don't and just want the peace of mind of the more heavy duty tent) then the Ruggedized is well worth the extra expense. And the floor won't dent if you kneel on it. ;)

gseim

The excuses Tepui is reverting to are embarrassing. They make tents meant to hold people, they show photos of people standing on them, they say on the phone you can stand on them. Then when their product that was cheaply designed fails they deny the claim saying "where did we say you could stand on them". Lol.

If Chevy advertises a pickup that shows it holding up to people throwing logs in it, it means it's designed to throw logs in and no fine print is needed. The claim has already been advertised, it's a done deal.

They are the perfect example of how you fail at serving the customer at the most basic level. If it was not so absurd it would be funny. But hey Tepui, keep making excuses, it's helping people choose.

Last edited:

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
*sigh* I remember the good ol' days when a mod would ban a troll for coming on here and do nothing but bash a product when they clearly admitted to using it in a way the manufacturer did not intend.

If Chevy advertises a pickup that shows it holding up to people throwing logs in it, it means it's designed to throw logs in and no fine print is needed. The claim has already been advertised, it's a done deal.

BS. I already covered this in one of your other crybaby threads. Just because Ford shows a commercial with them launching a Raptor off a sand dune doesn't mean you can do it and expect them to warranty it if something breaks. They are going to claim abuse. Get over it.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94