Tepui rtts

*sigh* I remember the good ol' days when a mod would ban a troll for coming on here and do nothing but bash a product when they clearly admitted to using it in a way the manufacturer did not intend.

No kidding. This guys has contributed absolutely nothing to this website or the the community in general, expect for telling us that RTT floor can dent if you knell on it with your knee. Which most everyone knew already.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
ffs...the "tossing wood into the back", just like climbing onto an RTT, you can do it just dont complain when COSMETIC damage is done. And again, customer photos are not the same as a company advert....

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
No kidding. This guys has contributed absolutely nothing to this website or the the community in general, expect for telling us that RTT floor can dent if you knell on it with your knee. Which most everyone knew already.

Too bad we can't vote on throwing the ban hammer at him and his knobbly kneed tent.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I've no horse in the race, but find it interesting that in a thread which showcases Baja roof racks denting roofs of vehicles - a similar and purely "cosmetic defect" that does not affect functionality of either the vehicle or the product - the general consensus of who's at fault is vastly different from the Tepui episode.

One big difference between the 2 would be that the original poster on that thread had been a member here for 6 years before posting his issue. Unlike gseim who signed up specifically (or so it appears) to do nothing but bash Tepui. As I posted earlier, you have a problem and want to complain about it - fine. Do so then move on. Anyone researching Tepui on this site now will have the chance to see the thread and make their own decision on whether to buy it. Continuing to whine and complain about it over multiple threads is just childish.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
I've no horse in the race, but find it interesting that in a thread which showcases Baja roof racks denting roofs of vehicles - a similar and purely "cosmetic defect" that does not affect functionality of either the vehicle or the product - the general consensus of who's at fault is vastly different from the Tepui episode.

Bit of a difference between an item designed to work with another item and then damaging it and an RTT receiving cosmetic damage when used differently than recommended.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
So does one need to have an active, contributing membership on every forum in the world in the off chance they'll need to tell someone about a poor experience? Does a six year posting history somehow make one an authority on legitimate complaints? Make their opinion more worthwhile? Meh...

I see no issue with signing up to share a problem. Even if the poster disappears immediately after. .

The issue is that he has contributed nothing but complaining about a product that he admitted to using inappropriately. I would support him 100% in his quest to improve a product if he would just admit he used it in a manner not intended and take responsibility for just that. That makes him a troll.

billum v2.0

So does one need to have an active, contributing membership on every forum in the world in the off chance they'll need to tell someone about a poor experience?.
Of course not.
Does a six year posting history somehow make one an authority on legitimate complaints? Make their opinion more worthwhile?
I don't know, lets take a look at the member's post history and makeup. Generally a contributing member? Get off my lawn type? Smartaleck? Whiner? Ditto for the new guy.
I see no issue with signing up to share a problem. Even if the poster disappears immediately after.
Me neither. But, when a poster "suggests" a manufacturer make them whole or risk them "informing" his/her 140,000 blog followers of their failure to be good corporate citizens, I no longer categorize their purpose as a public service announcement. It becomes nothing more than self serving public saber rattling. Credibility comes into question. Maybe the definition of coercion differs in Canada.
We do know that there are photos of Tepui tents with people standing on them, and that Tepui told gseim that he, for his intended use, does not need the upgraded ruggedized model.
No disagreement on the photos, but remind me again how it is that "we know......that Tepui told the poster that he did not need the ruggedized model".
Folks here love splitting hairs about force comparisons between a knee cap and a shoe, but that's really nothing more than child's play behind a keyboard.That silliness................................
This "hair splitting" was and is mine. Again, I suggest you visit a Dr. Scholl's Orthotic Insert Kiosk or similar and review the easily interpreted results of the amount/concentration of pressure of standing vs. kneeling. Or, you can lay tile for a day (or a decade) without knee pads and the results will be both acute and undeniable.
Opinions will no doubt vary, but I see the rack issue and the tent issue as just about identical, apples to apples comparisons.
Agreed, mine vary.

Last edited:

BobsCreek

Adventurer
And again, to use the example the subject used a page or so ago. "If Chevy had a commercial showing people tossing wood into the back of the truck, you would expect to be able to do it."
Why yes, you would expect to be able to do it and should expect cosmetic damage that in no way impacts your ability to use the project.

Tepui doesn't advertise walking around or kneeling on their tents, however the actual damage that was caused also didn't impact the use of the tent, it was just like the scratches and dents your truck bed may recieve when tossing wood into it, strictly cosmetic.

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
And again, to use the example the subject used a page or so ago. "If Chevy had a commercial showing people tossing wood into the back of the truck, you would expect to be able to do it."
Why yes, you would expect to be able to do it and should expect cosmetic damage that in no way impacts your ability to use the project.

Tepui doesn't advertise walking around or kneeling on their tents, however the actual damage that was caused also didn't impact the use of the tent, it was just like the scratches and dents your truck bed may recieve when tossing wood into it, strictly cosmetic.
actually Chevy shows thier trucks getting dents in the bed...to be expected....Tepui on their front page shows people directly ontop of their tents...main page..main picture...

Reminded me of this commercial..

[video]https://youtu.be/ymi4XDVVjn8[/video]

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I see no issue with signing up to share a problem. Even if the poster disappears immediately after.

Opinions will no doubt vary, but I see the rack issue and the tent issue as just about identical, apples to apples comparisons.

He didn't sign up to share a problem he signed up to whine like a 2 year old. Do we need to post huge warnings on his juice box in case he squeezes it and gets it on his wooby and wants to sue Minute Maid?

The difference is his kneed floor didn't cause damage to his vehicle. If he had installed it properly, opened it, and it busted his windshield, then yes, it would be apples to apples. He has a MINOR appearance issue with his product, his product didn't damage what it was mounted to.

buckwilk

Observer
buckwilk, I sent a message to you to letting you know that I checked things over and we've been experiencing this issue. I asked if the problem had been resolved and requested you log in and out again. You never responded to my message or reached out in anyway. If you had, my next course of action would have been to bring in a tech who knows these systems better to address the issue. I assure you that the moderators, our service, and our willingness to help people has nothing to do with who is an advertiser or not. Right now we don't know what the problem is, and unfortunately we can't figure it out without working with folks experiencing it.

Difficult to do if you are getting prompts that say you are not logged in and you don't have permission. Hit or miss, sometimes allows, sometimes not. It is as if the system does not recognize that you are logged in and have those permissions.

surferdude78

Observer
Re the photo shown on the front page, you'll note the only person you can clearly see standing on his tent is on a Ruggedized. Everyone else shown sitting are on standard models with the gray cover.

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
I climbed up on and knelt on my Smittybilt tent one time while packing it up. It now has dents. When I realized what happened I though to myself "You dummy! You knew that would happen. Why did you do that?"
Now I remember not to climb or kneel on it when folded up. I was a bit concerned with how the floor feels in this tent and I'm sure it's the same as the Tepui. Next one will have an aluminum floor such as Tepui Ruggedized or Treeline. Can't say I'd fault the manufacturer for this as much as I wish they were tougher...

VicMackey

Adventurer
I climbed up on and knelt on my Smittybilt tent one time while packing it up. It now has dents. When I realized what happened I though to myself "You dummy! You knew that would happen. Why did you do that?"
Now I remember not to climb or kneel on it when folded up. I was a bit concerned with how the floor feels in this tent and I'm sure it's the same as the Tepui. Next one will have an aluminum floor such as Tepui Ruggedized or Treeline. Can't say I'd fault the manufacturer for this as much as I wish they were tougher...

Your attitude is all wrong. You should blame others for your mistake, then badmouth the manufacturer all over the internet. If that does not satisfy you, you should burn their headquarters to the ground. You have a lot to learn.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I remember working for tech support of a major audio manufacture and getting this call:

me- technical how can I help you?

tool- I have a complaint about your W6 woofers

me- ok?

tool- well, you use those great big magnets...

me- well, a strong motor is necessary to control the pistonic movement of a high-excursion driver, so yeah

tool- ok, but you use a stamped steel frame and the frame can't support the weight

me- we haven't had any issues with the frame in the past and it's been in the field for 7 years now, what have you experienced?

tool- I dropped the subwoofer and the frame bent

me- to be clear, you dropped your woofer, and it broke...

tool- yes, the frame folded in half

me- how far did it fall?

tool- only about 2 inches

me- 2 inches and the frame folded in half??? Ok, what is your complaint?

tool- well if the frame was made if a different material, it would've survived the drop

me- the drop from only 2 inches?

tool- yes

me- ok, I will pass that along to the engineers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94