2006 R51 Pathfinder

math_godin

Observer
I have been around for quite some times now so its about time I post my build thread…

Make: Nissan
Model: Pathfinder
Year: 2006
Trim: SE 4WD
Color: Black

Current mileage: 88K

MODS

Exterior:
-Rocky road supersliders
-Shrockworks skids (not installed yet)
-BajaRack mule with Hi-Lift mount
-Tail light guards

Interior:
-RAM mount for iPhone (I mostly use Avenza and Hema Explorer North America for navigation)
-Garmin nuvi 56LM
-Molle sun visor organizer x 2
-Fire extinguisher
-Go-bag
-Raingler cargo net
-First aid kit

Suspension:
- Bilstein suspension lift 2''

Tires:
-265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

Recovery:
-MAXTRAX
-48'' X-treme Hi-Lift jack
-Hi-Lift off road base
-Hi-Lift lift-mate
-Hi-Lift off-road kit
-JakJaw hi-lift adapter
-ARB Recovery gear (premium recovery kit)
-ARB speedy seal puncture repair kit
-Viair 300p
-Warn receiver shackle

I love the extra space I get when I go on an overland trip and sleep at the back of this thing! The IRS hasn't been an issue for me *yet*. Just install a suspension lift and good tires on the R51 pathfinder and you will be good to go!

Before
001.jpg

Now
IMG_0303.jpg

Last edited:

justbecause

perpetually lost
when I got my frontier "I had to have a real rear axle" (and the locker was a big plus)

but there are so many days I wish I had gotten a pathfinder instead.

Looks great.

math_godin

Observer
Thanks! When I got it I did not know much about off-roading so wasn't aware of the IRS limitation. For the type of exploration I do I think it will do just fine. I love that I can sleep in it and it is super comfy on long stretch!

Triplesnake

Adventurer
Very nice. I always like to see more modded R51's. I think they get overlooked a lot as capable off road rigs. Can't see it in the pics, but can you show how the hi-lift mounts?

ETA: Which Shrockworks skids did you get? I'd be interested to see how they mount up since they don't actually list them for the Pathfinder.

Last edited:

broncobowsher

Adventurer
I always liked the Pathfinder. I would have preferred one over the Xterra I have now. The only reason I didn't get it was it cost an extra $10k over the Xterra new. And I was buying new. As much as I like the Xterra, I wish I had gotten the Pathfinder instead.

The front locker for the Frontier/Xterra will fit the Pathfinder just the same, if you ever go that route. Not sure about the rear locker. You probably have the 3.13 gears. I think you can do some junkyard shopping and get 3.36 gearing. The front out of an Xterra or Frontier with the off-road or Pro-4x package will take care of the front. The rear out of an Armada with a tow package is the questionable part. I think that was the same diff used in the V8 pathfinders (except the 2.97 gearing), but you will need V8 pathfinder rear axles. The front diff from the same Armada will also work, but again you will need V8 pathfinder half shafts. Those front V8 pathfinder half shafts are scarce as all the frontier and Xterra people snatch them up.

Most anything that will fit a Frontier up front will work just fine on a Pathfinder. I bet you can get a Frontier winch bumper to fit up real nice.
Out back, the IRS rear suspension is a subframe. So lifting is as simple as good spacers between the subframe and the frame. Watch the lateral flex. Talked to an Armada owner who lifted his with square tubing laid on the side and not capped. It flexed side to side just a little but made the truck drive like crap. Had to redo the blocks to make them more solid.

math_godin

Observer
I have never actually tried the BajaRack hi-lift brackets, so since I have removed the rack as I am waiting on them for a new wind deflector, now would be the best time to test the hi-lift attachment as I wouldn't need to climb up there lol... I'll put it on and post pics!

I believe the transfer case skid has to be tweaked a bit for the pathfinder so you need to let Shrockworks know that you are ordering for an pathfinder r51 when you place the order.

math_godin

Observer
I am not looking for lockers at this time but you are correct, the front diff and suspension components are the same for the 05+ frontier/xterra/pathfinder (until 2012 for the pathfinder as it turned into a total minivan after that...) In fact they all share a lot of components. As for the rear, yes I would need to install all of the V8 pathfinder diff and shaft components or I think I have seen somewhere that a slightly modified arb locker was working on the original diff? The pathfinder is just a bit more luxurious and is more "family oriented" but still quite capable with the Active Break limited Slip (ABLS) which is shared with the frontier/xterra and does very well what it is supposed to do.

Last edited:

docwatson

Adventurer
Nice looking Pathy. Good to see you get it out and about too.

Rugged Rocks can modify the half shafts and install the C200k ARB in the stock rear diff. How do you like the RRO sliders?

math_godin

Observer
Nice looking Pathy. Good to see you get it out and about too.

Rugged Rocks can modify the half shafts and install the C200k ARB in the stock rear diff. How do you like the RRO sliders?

Yes, that's it, these guys are those I was referring too! I really like the sliders, I trust that they would do what they were designed for, however the salt on the road here during winter has been hard on them after 7 years...

O7calipath

Hello,
How do those tires feel compared to the stock? I have an 07 with a 2 1/2 lift and I'm thinking about 33s. My biggest concern is the heavy tires .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles