ZJ vs WJ

laylow

Observer
I'm starting the process of finding what will be a dedicated trail/exploration rig. I've narrowed it down to a ZJ or WJ, based solely on cost. XJs and YJs in my city are crazy expensive. What are the pros and cons of each, and which transfer case should I be looking for? I've been much decided to get the 4.0L six for reliability, but I could be sold on a V8 if the reliability isn't much worse. I'm looking to find one as bone stock and unmolested as possible. Future plans include mild lift and tires.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
WJ unibodies are a bit stronger and you'll get a bit more interior space. IMO, the ZJ rear suspension is a little better design, it's got more parts in common with other Jeeps and it's a little simpler in a lot of ways, being that it's closer to an over-grown XJ.

Personally, for an expedition rig, if you get a WJ, plan to take care of the 0331 head issue (or get a 4.7 that's been well maintained, they're not bad engines save for a few quirks but they don't tolerate being overheated at all). In a ZJ, get the V8. Other than the easily fixable plenum gasket issue, they're even more reliable / durable than a 96+ 4.0 (the point where 4.0s started getting not as good).

If you're planning to venture off into the wilderness, I'd tend to say get the ZJ (ideally a 96 - 98 with a V8). You'll have an easier time finding parts if you need them (front suspension and axles are compatible with the TJ and XJ, for example).

A 93 - 95 ZJ (4.0 or V8) or a 4.0 WJ (unless it has quadra-drive) will have a D35 in the rear. 96 - 98 V8 ZJs, all V8 WJs and quadra-drive 4.0 WJs have the D44a in the rear. The 44a could use a skid plate for off-roading, but it's a decently strong axle. All have low pinion D30s up front.

As far as transfer cases, get what you find. They're swappable if you want to later. All V8 ZJs come with the full-time case (NV249) anyway. It's a perfectly good case until you wear out the viscous coupler. And when the time comes, a 242 or 231 from a 96 - 98 4.0 ZJ or 96 - 01 XJ bolts right into a 96 - 98 V8 ZJ (the swap is a hair more complicated on 93 - 95 V8 ZJs).

Personally, I've got a 98 5.9 ZJ. I'd consider a WJ as a trail rig (and they do look good with big tires), but for an all-around rig, I wouldn't give up the ZJ for a WJ.

both are really nice when built up but wj 4.0's have a lot more issues then zj 4.0's,
fpr both I would recommend Clayton long arms best kit I have seen available,
for both get ready to spend some coin on decent aftermarket bumpers.
both have obnoxiously low hanging radiator supports there Mountain Vista Offroad makes aftermarket rad support for the zj and some other really nice parts for both zj and wj
I would take a 5.2/5.9 over a 4.7 but the 5.2 trannies are kinda crappy

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Great information so far on ZJ's and WJ's. I've had my V8 ZJ for 17 years now, a LOT of trail miles on it. The stronger unibody on the WJ is a definite plus, but can be easily compensated for with a good long arm kit on a ZJ. When hanging bigger tires off a short arm suspension on a ZJ it's simply a matter of time before the upper control arm brackets start tearing off the unibody. Easily avoidable with long arms.

The 96-98's are prone to issues with the Body Control Module too, but it usually doesn't render the vehicle inoperable.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Some further info on the ZJ t-cases . . . all V8's and some 4.0's came with a 249 QuadraTrac t-case. The 93-95 249 is substantially different than the 96-98. IIRC, the initial torque splits are 50F/50R on the early, and 20F/80R on the later. The bigger difference is how they handle low range. On the early models they still use the viscous coupler in 4lo, meaning that you can actually lose power to the front wheels on steep climbs. This likely won't come in to play in an light trail/camping rig, but can play a major role in more challenging trails. The 96-98 mechanically locks the front and rear driveshafts together much like a 231 or 242 will.

laylow

Observer
Some further info on the ZJ t-cases . . . all V8's and some 4.0's came with a 249 QuadraTrac t-case. The 93-95 249 is substantially different than the 96-98. IIRC, the initial torque splits are 50F/50R on the early, and 20F/80R on the later. The bigger difference is how they handle low range. On the early models they still use the viscous coupler in 4lo, meaning that you can actually lose power to the front wheels on steep climbs. This likely won't come in to play in an light trail/camping rig, but can play a major role in more challenging trails. The 96-98 mechanically locks the front and rear driveshafts together much like a 231 or 242 will.

Thanks for the info on the transfer cases. So it looks like 96 or newer if we get a WJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monte350

both have obnoxiously low hanging radiator supports there Mountain Vista Offroad makes aftermarket rad support for the zj and some other really nice parts for both zj and wj
I would take a 5.2/5.9 over a 4.7 but the 5.2 trannies are kinda crappy

Kevin's Offroad makes the radiator support for the ZJ not Mountain Vista. regardless, it is a fantastic item that removes a huge amount of bulk from under the radiator. any of the v8 transmissions are better than the 42re they stuffed behind the 4.0. the 93-95 46rh is by far the best, but the 44re behind the 5.2 is not bad by any means. the biggest thing is keeping the trans cool. 93 to 98 all had electrical gremlins. i have re-soldered the headlight switch, abs controller, pcm, bcm and graphic display on my 97.

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
Thanks for the info on the transfer cases. So it looks like 96 or newer if we get a WJ.

WJ was introduced in 1999 and ran to 04. Anything 98 or older is a ZJ.

I've had both. I like the ZJ WAY better than the WJ. More comfy, more reliable, easier to work on.

I've had my ZJ for 18 years. Kept the WJ for about 10 years. Also have a WKII. It's ok. Wouldn't make it a trail rig. Have an XK. Would make a great overlanding rig, and is a comfy tow pig. Have an XJ that is my primary trail rig. Also owned 2 other XJs and another ZJ along the way.

The 5.2 ZJ I had was really quick. I liked it a lot.

Mitch502

Explorer
Get a 5.9 ZJ, they can be had for a good price, abs you'll never drive anything more comfortable... I've driven a lot of cars and SUVs, and none beat the 5.9 power wave reliability. 5.2 ZJs are good, but transmission problems plague them. The 5.9 had a heavy duty trans for the body.

WJ may ride a little better but the ZJ will be cheaper to maintain if you're close to a junkyard. There are also some cool things to do to a ZJ on the cheap if you lift it mildly

comptiger5000

Adventurer
The early (93 - 95) 5.2s had a stronger trans than the 96 - 98. But it comes with the other downsides of the early ZJs.

Honestly, none of the ZJ transmissions are bad if they're well cared for. People just tend to under-maintain them and they're under-cooled from the factory.

Find one with a healthy trans, add a big trans cooler, do a band adjustment and fluid change and give it about 2 turns on the line pressure screw while the pan is off. Repeat the fluid change and band adjustment in 30k miles or so. If you keep that up, they'll last quite a while.

Other than having fried a torque converter lockup clutch a bit past 200k, the trans in my 5.9 ZJ is still rock solid at 230k miles with no rebuilds. I threw in a shift kit at 120k and turned up the line pressure a bit around 205k. And that's with it living through plenty of hard use and it's been behind a heads/cam motor since 120k.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
The early (93 - 95) 5.2s had a stronger trans than the 96 - 98. But it comes with the other downsides of the early ZJs.

The downfalls to the early ZJ's (crappy 249, V8's having the D35) are also easy to overcome with even a mildly built rig. I did a LOT of trails with short arms, locked 8.8, 231 swap, and 33's. Much more comfortable now though with long arms, and reliable due to removing the weak control arm mounts.

For a driver or extremely light wheeling rig, I'd go 96-98, probably a 5.9. Been contemplating a 5.9 as a winter beater here at some point too. But for a rig you're going to swap axles and t-cases on anyways, I'd go 93-95.

Mitch502

Explorer
The downfalls to the early ZJ's (crappy 249, V8's having the D35) are also easy to overcome with even a mildly built rig. I did a LOT of trails with short arms, locked 8.8, 231 swap, and 33's. Much more comfortable now though with long arms, and reliable due to removing the weak control arm mounts.

For a driver or extremely light wheeling rig, I'd go 96-98, probably a 5.9. Been contemplating a 5.9 as a winter beater here at some point too. But for a rig you're going to swap axles and t-cases on anyways, I'd go 93-95.

5.9L are amazing in every aspect. I miss mine already. I like 96+ for OBD2 and better looking interior in my opinion. Creature comforts are a major concern for me...the 5.9L had only 2 options from the factory...tow package (just a hitch, nothing special for cooling or anything) and skidplates. Both are easy to find, and most of them that I've seen have at least had the skid plates.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
5.9L are amazing in every aspect. I miss mine already. I like 96+ for OBD2 and better looking interior in my opinion. Creature comforts are a major concern for me...the 5.9L had only 2 options from the factory...tow package (just a hitch, nothing special for cooling or anything) and skidplates. Both are easy to find, and most of them that I've seen have at least had the skid plates.
There was a 3rd option that, to my knowledge, only one dealer ordered. One of the dealers in Boulder, CO ordered most of theirs with the sunroof delete package. An odd thing for sure, but due to the slightly taller seats in the 96-98 and the headroom that the sunroof takes up, it's the only way I can comfortably drive one.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mitch502

Explorer
There was a 3rd option that, to my knowledge, only one dealer ordered. One of the dealers in Boulder, CO ordered most of theirs with the sunroof delete package. An odd thing for sure, but due to the slightly taller seats in the 96-98 and the headroom that the sunroof takes up, it's the only way I can comfortably drive one.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Interesting! That must be nearly impossible to find a 5.9 with no sunroof. $$$$$$$$$$

Capercrew02

Observer
I'll try and balance out this zj heavy tread by saying I LOVE everything about my wj. It's built as an expo rig, I've done a lot of trails on it, some more challenging than I would have choosen, and it goes my teardrop without a sweat. It's popularity and shear number of units sold means it's easy as cake to find answers for quirks or problems. It's easy to find one clean and unmolested, the 4.7 is a great engine, with better economy than the zj v8's, and the 545rfe trans is dang near bulletproof. I prefer the interior of the wj over a zj. My main reason for getting it over a zj came down to frame strength though and finding one that's clean. It's hard to get a vehicle that's 20 years old that has moderately low Milage, with few owners and a good history report. I found my 99, on its second owner, completely stock, with 114,000 on the clock. Price was right and I took her home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94