ZJ vs WJ

Mitch502

Explorer
I'll try and balance out this zj heavy tread by saying I LOVE everything about my wj. It's built as an expo rig, I've done a lot of trails on it, some more challenging than I would have choosen, and it goes my teardrop without a sweat. It's popularity and shear number of units sold means it's easy as cake to find answers for quirks or problems. It's easy to find one clean and unmolested, the 4.7 is a great engine, with better economy than the zj v8's, and the 545rfe trans is dang near bulletproof. I prefer the interior of the wj over a zj. My main reason for getting it over a zj came down to frame strength though and finding one that's clean. It's hard to get a vehicle that's 20 years old that has moderately low Milage, with few owners and a good history report. I found my 99, on its second owner, completely stock, with 114,000 on the clock. Price was right and I took her home.

The interior on WJ's are nice, and I've read by MANY people that they out wheel the driver surprisingly more than expected (as in do more than they thought it could!). I agree that the WJ is a great platform. I'm partial to a ZJ because I like "box" vehicles. The boxier the better :)

I had a ZJ lifted with the 5.2 and loved it! Sold it with 279,545 miles on it. Never rebuilt anything. I moved on to the WJ's. Mine I have now is a 2000 with the 4.7. It has 189,289 miles on it. 89,000 miles of its life has been lifted. Still has plenty of power and nothing rebuilt. Both the ZJ/WJ have pros and cons and everyone has already listed them but I'm partial to the WJ's now. I would say just find a ZJ and take it for a spin. Then find a WJ and do the same. It's really what fits you in the end.
fda3cad3bb21adb9d407c0b7dc2f5dee.jpg

Sent from my WJ

comptiger5000

Adventurer
5.9 ZJs had 4 options: pick one of 3 colors, option to add skids / hooks, option to add trailer hitch, option to delete sunroof. IIRC, there were about 500 sunroof delete ones built. Although if I had my way, mine would be receiving an aftermarket sunroof delete...

Trail-wise, ZJs and WJs are both pretty capable when equipped with a good driver. Approach / departure angles aren't as good as a TJ, but they're more practical in a lot of ways.

chasespeed

Explorer
Been very happy with my WJ, get the right gear under it from the get-go, and don't look back... Clayton.

Have a JK d44 in the back, added a few hundred pounds of armor, winch, blah blah.... I'm married to it, I could never get back, or even close to what I have in it. But, serves its purposes.

My only dislikes, are I'm nervous about towing with it(4.slow, slushbox,long arms), and... you know, can't take the top off....

Don't be shy about the 4.0... I worked for a Jeep dealer when these(WJ) were released.... I'll keep my gutless wonder...

Chase

elpoffroad

Adventurer
I have had both in past year and I must say for Aftermarket support zj wins...but preference for my family is the wj.

p nut

butter
Gotta ask what type of trails we're talking here? Will the "weak" subframe be even an issue?
-
I had a 5.9 ZJ back in the day. Such a fun vehicle. Wish I still had it. Only had 135k miles when I sold it and it was solid. I love the design over the WJ as well (personally).
-
Structurally, they should both be good. Two of my friends had a ZJ and WJ. Both V8's. Both went over 200k miles (one had 250k). The ZJ was BEAT on, towed trailers, and generally led a tough life. Never skipped a beat over the 250k miles. Maintained regularly, but I don't think the diff fluids or trans fluid were ever replaced. The WJ performed great as well. It wasn't as beat on as the ZJ, and hardly ever went off road, but the way my friend drove, the TPS could've just had two settings -- off and full throttle. Nothing major over the 200k miles. Both solid performers.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
Unibody strength shouldn't be much of a concern for either. And there are stiffeners out there for the ZJ if you want to beef it up, much like the ones for XJs (which really do have wimpy unibodies).

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Unibody strength shouldn't be much of a concern for either. And there are stiffeners out there for the ZJ if you want to beef it up, much like the ones for XJs (which really do have wimpy unibodies).

While they do beef up parts of the unibody, I have yet to see a product out there (other than long arms) that addresses the biggest weak spot of the ZJ unibody, which is the UCA mounts. Does not take much to rip those off with a small lift and increased tire size.

laylow

Observer
It's looking more and more like a WJ for me. There are easier to find in OK condition in my city. Now I just have to find the right one and go for it.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I have 3 Grand Cherokee's in the driveway, ZJ.. WJ.. WK1.. my favorite is the ZJ. I'v owned an early and late ZJ, prefer the interior of the 96+. Best bud just purchased a 2012 Summit/Overland with the 5.7L Hemi, he's no longer allowed over. ;)

I'v been searching the country for my last Jeep, a clean, well loved but not overpriced 5.9L. Found one with sunroof delete this morning, but don't think I can go without it.

One thing weird i'v been coming across, several stone white 5.9's with pinstriping.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
While they do beef up parts of the unibody, I have yet to see a product out there (other than long arms) that addresses the biggest weak spot of the ZJ unibody, which is the UCA mounts. Does not take much to rip those off with a small lift and increased tire size.

A little cutting and welding can easily build stronger UCA mounts. Although I've seen more LCA mounts torn off of D30s than UCA mounts torn off unibodies.

5.9L. Found one with sunroof delete this morning, but don't think I can go without it.

I'd kill for my 5.9 to not have a sunroof. I've strongly considered doing the cut and weld sunroof delete and running the non-sunroof headliner. 30 - 40 lbs less at the top of the Jeep and 1 - 1.5" of extra headroom by not having it (and I rarely use mine anyway). Having a tall torso (even though I'm only 5'9"), I have less than an inch of headroom in the ZJ with the seat all the way down (they're still really tall).

Jeepinaaron

Adventurer
It's looking more and more like a WJ for me. There are easier to find in OK condition in my city. Now I just have to find the right one and go for it.

I think you will be pleased with a WJ. Its hard to find a clean ZJ. I have a 2003 WJ Laredo. I scoped out the options I wanted and found a 4.7L with the 242 Selec-Trac transfer case, which was the ideal combination for me. She only had 90,000 miles when I bought it and I paid a little more than others but it was clean and has been capable and reliable.

-Aaron

GCWJ

I can't speak about anything else, but I like my WJs. We have a 4.0 with the 242 and a 4.7 with the 247. Both work and do what they're supposed to do, 16 and 18 years down the line, respectively.

If you end up with the 4.7 engine in whatever you choose, keep your oil clean and do not allow it to overheat. Aluminum heads. It can drop the valve seats. My 99 is far overdue for an overhaul...but then, what should ya expect for an engine almost 20 years old!

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I'd kill for my 5.9 to not have a sunroof. I've strongly considered doing the cut and weld sunroof delete and running the non-sunroof headliner. 30 - 40 lbs less at the top of the Jeep and 1 - 1.5" of extra headroom by not having it (and I rarely use mine anyway). Having a tall torso (even though I'm only 5'9"), I have less than an inch of headroom in the ZJ with the seat all the way down (they're still really tall).

It did not last long..

One owner, garaged, 150K miles, in Las Cruces and asking was just under $5K.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94