Leaving annex attached while folding up tent?

VicMackey

Adventurer
So, I just watched an off road journal video. In one (very)short clip it seemed like someone was deploying a RTT with the annex attached to it. I am new to the RTT game, and I never thought to try to pack the tent with the annex attached -without the floor, annex walls only-.

I am going to give this a go the next time I have the tent out. Leaving the annex on it would be a game changer for me. I would even be willing to roll the dice and risk beating the annex up a bit just to have it stay on all the time.

Has anyone tried to fold a tent and put the cover on it while the annex was attached?

If so, please share your experience along with your tent info here.

Thanks in advance.

brentbba

Explorer
It'd help knowing what specific RTT you have. :oops:

I used to own an Eezi-Awn Globetrotter and I could collapse with annex attached. It's designed for a trailer top though.

Hoghead

Observer
CVT will sell you a channel so that you don't have to remove the cover to attach the annex, but they don't say that you can pack it up in the cover. I believe I remember someone on here saying that they did pack it up in the cover. I would think that would be a tight fit, but I already keep my sleeping bags (3) in the tent full time anyway.

I can't even get my Howlingmoon to fold up completely with my sleeping bags in, let alone my annex. (That said I have not climbed up on it when I fold it up either).

dcg141

Adventurer
I keep my annex attached and I installed a 2nd channel to do it. It is pretty easy to install and it makes using the annex way easier. I roll up the door and pull the ladder out of the front and fold the tent over. Then I pull the annex up and kind of semi fold it and bunch it around the ladder and cinch down the tent. Its a tight fit but I can do it every time now. Its really easy if you zip off the floor but I put all of it in mine. I have also modified my tent to put a really long ratchet strap around the end to cinch my tent together. I have a Gordigear RTT but it works pretty much like every other RTT out there.

VicMackey

Adventurer
I keep my annex attached and I installed a 2nd channel to do it. It is pretty easy to install and it makes using the annex way easier. I roll up the door and pull the ladder out of the front and fold the tent over. Then I pull the annex up and kind of semi fold it and bunch it around the ladder and cinch down the tent. Its a tight fit but I can do it every time now. Its really easy if you zip off the floor but I put all of it in mine. I have also modified my tent to put a really long ratchet strap around the end to cinch my tent together. I have a Gordigear RTT but it works pretty much like every other RTT out there.

Cool! Now I have some hope that I can do the same thing. Next step is buying another channel. Thanks dcg141

dcg141

Adventurer
Cool! Now I have some hope that I can do the same thing. Next step is buying another channel. Thanks dcg141
I don't have any doubt you can, for sure you can with the floor off, that's really easy, but try with the floor on also.

rickc

Adventurer
I don't believe that I'd ever get the cover on my ARB Simpson III with the annex still on the top of the folded tent. For what it is worth, the ARB tent middle floor joint has a channel on both sides; this allows me to connect the annex to the top/opening side of the tent base entirely; a good thing as I have my cover reversed and can leave the cover zipper threaded into the channel on the fixed base side. I did not know that the jointed sides of the base did not have channels on both sides on other tent makes; I never looked.

dcg141

Adventurer
The big ratchet strap was key to making mine work. I could get it to fold enough but the velcro straps would come loose from the tension.

seekerbeta

Observer
I can't even get my Howlingmoon to fold up completely with my sleeping bags in, let alone my annex. (That said I have not climbed up on it when I fold it up either).

there is a process to the whole thing, I can get 2 x Sleeping Bags, plus 2 x Pillows in the tent , but I have to put them away in a specific way, with the pillows being in the center of the piece that doesn't fold, and then laying the sleeping bags as flat as I can, it works and it works well, but I couldn't imagine trying to get more than that under my cover.

wild_turkey

Saw this also and agree it would be a game changer! Even just attaching the annex from the roof rack rather than deployed would be easier then trying to do it over your head. And my wife said watching YouTube was a waste of time...that clip just made up for all of it with the setup time and hassle we will avoid!

I'm going to give it a try in a few weeks and will let you know. I have the CVT my Shasta extended, so very similar setup.

pray4surf

Explorer
I'll roll up the walls of my annex (3 sides, no floor) and secure to the underside of the RTT base before I fold the tent up. So, the annex remains 'outside' of the tent. Now I simply slip the cover over the annex(which is now at the top of the folded tent) and the tent and zip it on. No additional stresses added. For reference purposes, I have a med (96"x54") Camping Lab RTT. Which is not much different than the Tepui and/or CVT - or any other bottom of the line China made RTT of the same style...

If I opt to not deploy the annex, I don't have to (it stays rolled up and secured to the tent base) and still use the RTT as if it wasn't equipped with an annex...

Pic from recent vacation. Annex not deployed...
IMG_0984[1].jpg

Last edited:

VicMackey

Adventurer
Saw this also and agree it would be a game changer! Even just attaching the annex from the roof rack rather than deployed would be easier then trying to do it over your head. And my wife said watching YouTube was a waste of time...that clip just made up for all of it with the setup time and hassle we will avoid!

I'm going to give it a try in a few weeks and will let you know. I have the CVT my Shasta extended, so very similar setup.

I look forward to hearing your results!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles