Power inverter suggestions?

Darkrider

Adventurer
Ok as the nature of my work sees me working out of my vehicles more and more i tend to end up bringing my laptops with me as a result. So I am looking for suggestions for a reasonably priced inverter for this purpose. It will need to be Pure Sine wave as to not cause damage to equipment. Reasonably priced due to the fact i will probably end up buying more then one to outfit at least a couple vehicles. So what have others on here tried out and had good experience with?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Computer power supplies don't need sine wave, modified square wave is fine. The inverters in APC UPS units are MSW.

john61ct

Adventurer
Laptops don't need shore power at all.

Cheaper up front **and** a lot more energy efficient to just buy 12V "travel adapters". Start with the one actually sold for your laptop if you're not hany electrically yet.

Most have a built-in ciggie plug, but best is a brick style you can use with more reliable Anderson or marine style twist-lock plugs.

Darkrider

Adventurer
Computer power supplies don't need sine wave, modified square wave is fine. The inverters in APC UPS units are MSW.

Hmmm alright, then perhaps i just need to get a better quality inverter then the one i have. It is just a cheap unit from Canadian tire. Not something i would put much faith in to power a 45W charging brick for my Macbook. Could use it with my other two laptops i suppose.

Laptops don't need shore power at all.

Cheaper up front **and** a lot more energy efficient to just buy 12V "travel adapters". Start with the one actually sold for your laptop if you're not hany electrically yet.

Most have a built-in ciggie plug, but best is a brick style you can use with more reliable Anderson or marine style twist-lock plugs.

Good to know. Will keep searching for a 12v unit for Apple Macbooks with the Magsafe 2 plug. Otherwise i will look more into the so called Brick style inverters. I have no problems with the idea of running a dedicated wire to one in the trunk.

Darkrider

Adventurer
I recommend these small inverters from Tripplite. I've had them...in several different model iterations... for 20 years. Nikon, Canon, Leica camera battery chargers, and Apple laptop chargers all work fine and normal. No overheating, etc.
https://www.tripplite.com/150w-powerverter-ultra-compact-car-inverter-1-outlet~PV150/

Nice! I have seen that brand show up on Newegg before. Will def look at them for sure again. The fact it uses the lighter socket is nice especially.

Edit: This looks like a newer version of it with USB plugs added: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ..._re=Power_Inverter-_-9SIA66K5TE5929-_-Product

Last edited:

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
An inverter to power laptop seems like a waste of money and electricity why not just get a cigarette lighter plug 12v power source for your laptop?

pluton

Adventurer
I like that the new version has USB and a fan. The old, non-USB ones don't have fans.
It's probably more efficient to use a direct 12V to laptop power supply, but having the inverter allows many different devices to be charged, not just the laptop.

Darkrider

Adventurer
An inverter to power laptop seems like a waste of money and electricity why not just get a cigarette lighter plug 12v power source for your laptop?

Biggest reason? Seems reliable ones do not exist for the macbook for one. But then again i could be wrong on that. Might be able to find one for the new Acer i just picked up along with my older Acer.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I bought one from amazon for $10ish for my Dell and it's been rock solid for over a year.
Goodluck on the search.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I have an HP netbook, an Acer netbook and a giant 17" HP "laptop" (portable workstation is more like it).

I've gone through a few of the 12v laptop adapters. The cheapos burned out (blew internal non-replacable (without breaking out the soldering iron) fuses). The better ones were big and clunky and eventually got broken one way or another.

Still...I keep buying them. At least...I did. Maybe not any more though. Just picked up 300w of solar and 400ah of battery. From now on I'll probably just use my El Cheapo 400w inverter.

Cause I sure as hell am not going to give a flying flip about efficiency or a few wasted watts. And it's a lot more convenient to just use the standard 120v AC power brick.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
BTW, the big 17" HP idles around 65w (measured with a Kill-A-Watt meter) and easily heats up a 90w power brick when I'm really working it.

The 90w "car adapters" are rated to put out 4.74a @ 19v, but draw 7a @ 12.8v from a fully charged battery.

Even feeding my Acer netbook, which I bought for its low power consumption (9w running normally, 14w when also charging thr battery), I've certainly noticed the 12v adapters getting pretty warm.

Been there, done that. Not impressed.

Darkrider

Adventurer
I like that the new version has USB and a fan. The old, non-USB ones don't have fans.
It's probably more efficient to use a direct 12V to laptop power supply, but having the inverter allows many different devices to be charged, not just the laptop.

Agreed on the efficiency but also agreed on having it being able to charge USB items as well at the same time. I will probably be ordering that one in the morning.

I have an HP netbook, an Acer netbook and a giant 17" HP "laptop" (portable workstation is more like it).

I've gone through a few of the 12v laptop adapters. The cheapos burned out (blew internal non-replacable (without breaking out the soldering iron) fuses). The better ones were big and clunky and eventually got broken one way or another.

Still...I keep buying them. At least...I did. Maybe not any more though. Just picked up 300w of solar and 400ah of battery. From now on I'll probably just use my El Cheapo 400w inverter.

Cause I sure as hell am not going to give a flying flip about efficiency or a few wasted watts. And it's a lot more convenient to just use the standard 120v AC power brick.

BTW, the big 17" HP idles around 65w (measured with a Kill-A-Watt meter) and easily heats up a 90w power brick when I'm really working it.

The 90w "car adapters" are rated to put out 4.74a @ 19v, but draw 7a @ 12.8v from a fully charged battery.

Even feeding my Acer netbook, which I bought for its low power consumption (9w running normally, 14w when also charging thr battery), I've certainly noticed the 12v adapters getting pretty warm.

Been there, done that. Not impressed.

Thanks for the imput! I am currently using a 13" Macbook Air and a 11.5" Acer Spin 1 Convertable laptop. For intensive net use like watching Youtube the Mac edges out the spin for it. I have looked at solar panels as well. Not all that handy for work but...i will def probably end up picking up one for my Astro to use to trickle charge it at camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior